U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 07:22 PM

1 posts, read 6,160 times

Advertisements

Look around before your move, I would recommend checking out smaller moving companies. They can do anything a bigger company can, just with a lot more care and a lot of the time a better price. If your moving out of the North-east U.S. (mod cut) no url posting

Last edited by jasper12; 11-06-2012 at 08:34 PM.. Reason: no url ppsting for junior members
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 03:39 PM

4 posts, read 9,414 times
Thumbs up Moving my parents

I have heard that moving in summer is more expensive because there is such a thing as "moving season". So if you want to move for cheap I would suggest moving between September and March. I helped my parents move in January and we spent less money than we had anticipated. We were thinking of doing a full time move but my friend (who is a mover) told me to rent things separately. So I went on the net and started searching for promo codes and discounts on trucks but I found portable storages. They are so neat, I even found this Promo Code V0048P3 which saved me money . This was perfect for my parents because they didnt have to drive the truck or anything, they dropped it off at the old house and than brought it to the new house without a hassle . Our savings didnt stop there, we found this great cheap movers who only do the labor services. I rented them from www.movinghelpcenter.com . They were only $100 and they did all the heavy lifting. They were careful and polite, didnt scratch a thing. The sun was beaming like crazy and they were working so hard I had to buy them some gatorade. Iam so glad I called them up otherwise it would of been me and my parents under that sun. All in all I couldnt have asked for a better move. It was a great start to the year, makes me happy to have my parents living close to me. Hope it helped and have a great move!

Old 08-15-2013, 03:44 PM

1 posts, read 4,802 times
We recently used Movex to move from Oregon to Arizona. I would NOT recommend them as they are incompetent, disorganized, and their trucks are not equipped for transporting household goods securely. Our biggest problem with them is that they did not provide a proper bulkhead to create a fourth wall to keep our stuff from falling down into the rest of the truck. (We rented four feet of space on a 28-foot trailer).
One thing after another went wrong:
-The driver who delivered the trailer was not given our correct address or a phone number and showed up two hours after the end of our delivery window
-The trailer was delivered without a ramp to make loading the truck easier
-The trailer was delivered with a flimsy cardboard divider that did not fit the trailer and could not be used as a secure bulkhead. We called Movex and asked them to be sure to send the correct bulkhead with the driver who would pick up the load. They promised us this would be done.
-When the driver arrived to pick up the load, he did not bring a bulkhead with him. We jerry-rigged the cardboard divider to create a temporary barrier. The driver promised us that he would drive slowly and carefully to the nearby terminal and would there install the correct bulkhead to keep our goods secure on the drive to Arizona. We called Movex to explain the situation, and they promised us that they would call the terminal to make sure a proper bulkhead was installed.
-They scheduled delivery in Arizona for a Monday morning. We rearranged our schedule, sat around waiting for them all morning, then they called us around noon to tell us that the delivery would not take place until the following morning.
-When the truck arrived the next morning, we saw that the temporary divider had never been replaced with a proper bulkhead. Many of our items fell down from the top of the load.
-A ramp was supplied with the truck, but it did not fit the truck and could not be used.
-When we complained, they refused to give us any kind of discount, because their contract permits them to pull this BS, saying they "may substitute equipment that may be equipped differently than the transport vehicle described above with no further liability implied or taken."

Next time we move, we will try pods or just drive the stuff ourselves.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:57 PM

4,115 posts, read 4,272,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuchsiaG View Post
We recently used Movex to move from Oregon to Arizona. I would NOT recommend them as they are incompetent, disorganized, and their trucks are not equipped for transporting household goods securely. Our biggest problem with them is that they did not provide a proper bulkhead to create a fourth wall to keep our stuff from falling down into the rest of the truck. (We rented four feet of space on a 28-foot trailer).
One thing after another went wrong:
-The driver who delivered the trailer was not given our correct address or a phone number and showed up two hours after the end of our delivery window
-The trailer was delivered without a ramp to make loading the truck easier
-The trailer was delivered with a flimsy cardboard divider that did not fit the trailer and could not be used as a secure bulkhead. We called Movex and asked them to be sure to send the correct bulkhead with the driver who would pick up the load. They promised us this would be done.
-When the driver arrived to pick up the load, he did not bring a bulkhead with him. We jerry-rigged the cardboard divider to create a temporary barrier. The driver promised us that he would drive slowly and carefully to the nearby terminal and would there install the correct bulkhead to keep our goods secure on the drive to Arizona. We called Movex to explain the situation, and they promised us that they would call the terminal to make sure a proper bulkhead was installed.
-They scheduled delivery in Arizona for a Monday morning. We rearranged our schedule, sat around waiting for them all morning, then they called us around noon to tell us that the delivery would not take place until the following morning.
-When the truck arrived the next morning, we saw that the temporary divider had never been replaced with a proper bulkhead. Many of our items fell down from the top of the load.
-A ramp was supplied with the truck, but it did not fit the truck and could not be used.
-When we complained, they refused to give us any kind of discount, because their contract permits them to pull this BS, saying they "may substitute equipment that may be equipped differently than the transport vehicle described above with no further liability implied or taken."

Next time we move, we will try pods or just drive the stuff ourselves.

Thanks for the tip

Old 09-03-2013, 12:08 AM

1 posts, read 4,653 times
Will a cheap moving company let me pack my car and apartment on the trail or???

Old 09-03-2013, 06:05 AM

244 posts, read 312,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
Thanks for the tip
Just the tip?

Old 09-09-2013, 12:45 PM

303 posts, read 364,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepizzaguy View Post
Have a moving sale and leave with just the clothes on your back. O.K, 2 sets of clothes. You'll need something clean for the job interview.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
sell everything before you go. put it on craigslist, newspaper, have a yard sale. then drive as long as you can, sleep at rest stops. pack a lunch.
This is what I'm doing with my partner and two cats from Louisville KY to Sacramento CA in a few weeks. We have no nice furniture and the things that I don't want to take but are too good for Goodwill are going to various relatives throughout KY. Some stuff is being shipped via FedEx (I have a discount thanks to my dad being an employee), mostly bulky clothes items and some books but I've budgeted no more than $500 in shipping costs. Anything else that doesn't fit in the car gets donated or given to friends of mine still in college. It's really liberating to go through things and get rid of stuff, I'm enjoying the process. Good luck with your move!

Old 09-10-2013, 03:38 PM

1 posts, read 4,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbjj View Post
You may want to try [url=http://www.upack.com]Move with the Truck Rental Alternative - ABF U-Pack Moving[/url]. That is the company we used to moved long distance. We moved frm GA to IL. If you have ever seen those tractor trailors with the green ABF on the trailor that is the company. It was cheaper. I had cld several companies to get quotes and everyone was quoting me based upon lbs (approx 8-10,000). The cheapest was running us around $2700. We then found upack and they quoted us based upon ft which was better. For a three bdrm house plus garage we only pd $1286. After we calc'd the rental cost of the truck, the gas it was going to take and time; we decided to go with them. We were quoted using 16ft (which equates to a 20ft uhaul truck). We packed everything within that 16ft and if we went over it was only an extra 28.00p/ft that we went over. The trailor is 8ft wide and 9ft tall. The key to making it all fit is to pack stack all the way to the top. Leave no space unused.We used a ladder to stack completely to the top.

We did all the packing ourselves. They dropped off a 28ft trailor at our house and we had three days to pack the trailor and once we were finished they would come and pick it up. They tell you that it can take them up to three days to come and pick it up but with us they actually were able to pick up the trailor the next day. They were so user friendly and customer focused. With everyone else you have to put down a deposit for your move with them you don't. They even will allow you to pay once the trailor has arrived at its destination. Once the trailor arrives at the terminal in the destination city; they will even hold it for you (if needed) for two days before they start charging you a storage fee. You even have the option to let them store your furniture for you vs taking it off the trailor and putting it in a storage unit. We did end up needing the two days hold b/c our place was not ready but we did not pay until he brought the trailor to our house on that Friday. They only chrg 395.00 for storage and they will store it for 30dys (this amount is not prorated). The only catch to that is you have to pay for the bill in full at the time of packing if not you have to pay 50.00 p/dy for storage.

We will only be here for three years and we will have to move again. We will be going to TX and I am going to use them again.

Tips on packing... try to use boxes all the same sizes. This will eliminate waisted space. Pack your boxes tight or if you use the collapsable bins pack tight. You can even contact a local moving company and they will even show you how to pack.
This post would have helped me a lot if we were still in the year of '07'. We are in the year 2013 & their rate for a 12ft space is $3000. :..(

Old 10-30-2014, 10:53 AM

1 posts, read 2,482 times
I used Premier Movers in New Jersey to move cross country. I spoke with Isaac directly at 862-240-4419. They provided me with an inexpensive quote...in my opinion renting a truck one way for $1,600 and having to do all the work myself was NOT worth it..

Old 01-06-2015, 10:02 AM

1 posts, read 2,131 times
MOVING FROM CHICAGO TO OKC - Any suggestions for complete moving and also shipping of 2 vehicles. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues