U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 09:43 AM

6,181 posts, read 10,529,820 times

Advertisements

Unless you have a huge house full of expensive furniture, that you can't part with. Then the cheapest way really is to get rid of everything, or the majority of every thing. I can tell you moving is extremely expensive, even across town. Unless an employer is paying for your move, it can break your bank. I sent 4 small suitcases from Massachusetts to Tucson in August. It was almost $250 using the cheapest method (truck). To ship the car I found was not in my best interest. It was $1400 and that was the cheapest and the car is uncovered, and completely empty of belongings. If you have your car on top of the car carrier you pay more. People want their vehicle on top rather than the bottom, to prevent leakage from a car sitting on top of it. I really think the vehicles should be covered but its not allowed I was told. Furniture was going to be $6000 just for 1 bedroom apt size amount of furniture. The whole price was just not worth it. Sell your stuff and get new furniture in Oklahoma. I think the majority of people find out this is their only choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 11:24 AM

1,871 posts, read 1,333,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Unless you have a huge house full of expensive furniture, that you can't part with. Then the cheapest way really is to get rid of everything, or the majority of every thing. I can tell you moving is extremely expensive, even across town. Unless an employer is paying for your move, it can break your bank. I sent 4 small suitcases from Massachusetts to Tucson in August. It was almost $250 using the cheapest method (truck). To ship the car I found was not in my best interest. It was $1400 and that was the cheapest and the car is uncovered, and completely empty of belongings. If you have your car on top of the car carrier you pay more. People want their vehicle on top rather than the bottom, to prevent leakage from a car sitting on top of it. I really think the vehicles should be covered but its not allowed I was told. Furniture was going to be $6000 just for 1 bedroom apt size amount of furniture. The whole price was just not worth it. Sell your stuff and get new furniture in Oklahoma. I think the majority of people find out this is their only choice.
This is the attitude. Finally figured it out with my last move. Wish I could rep you some more.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:18 AM

5 posts, read 5,120 times
The moving quotes sound about right. I moved from DC to Miami. The cheapest way to transport your car is Amtrak Auto Train... About $250 and you can pack the car to the brim.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:24 PM

3,796 posts, read 5,650,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedawn26 View Post
The moving quotes sound about right. I moved from DC to Miami. The cheapest way to transport your car is Amtrak Auto Train... About $250 and you can pack the car to the brim.
You do realize that the Auto Train ONLY runs from DC to Orlando. Nowhere else in the US.

Auto Train Transports You and Your Car - Lorton, VA - Sanford, FL | Amtrak

Old 03-13-2015, 02:38 PM

825 posts, read 539,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klw339 View Post
I just asked for a quote to move a relocube studio sized from DC to San Fran on the ABF website and the price was $4300.
I had a similar quote from U-Pack, LI, NY to NM over $3,500 for a 1-bedroom move. Old Dominion gave me a price less than half.

Old 03-14-2015, 02:01 AM

171 posts, read 127,077 times
Yup, for a lot of people, when moving cross country it's most cost-effective to sell everything and buy new stuff at the new location. Run the numbers. Check out CL or other resell or consignment sites to see how much you can expect to get for your stuff. Check how much it will cost to move the stuff by looking at all the moving options (truck rental, pod, moving company, wear on car if pulling trailer, etc). Don't forget to include things like gas, lodging, loss, and more. Then price how much it will cost to replace everything.

If selling everything, get started as early as possible in order to obtain the best prices. The post office is a good, low cost way to get stuff from point A to point B if you do not have room in your car or suitcases. If you plan to use chains (like Ikea, Rooms-2-go, sears) to furnish your new place, you can place the order and time it so that everything arrives right as you do so you won't be left in an empty space for long.

Old 03-19-2015, 01:02 PM

4 posts, read 6,541 times
I had this same issue moving to New Jersey, but the hassle of getting people to help with general labor and then psychically driving a truck is never fun either....I decided to hire a licensed mover the cost was only a few hundred dollars more, but very well worth it! figured id share the companies info if anyone was still looking. My agent was Olga she literally gave me a full breakdown and made sure it worked with my budget as well (hey it cant hurt to get a free quote) her number is 866-915-4010 ext 11 and the company is North Van Lines Inc....hope this info is able to help out!! good luck!

Old 03-21-2015, 05:09 PM

11,193 posts, read 12,873,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooke_1 View Post
the hassle of getting people to help with general labor and then psychically driving a truck is never fun either

You wanted to get a Psychic to drive your truck?
Really?

Old 03-29-2015, 02:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,767 times
Moving from New York to Puerto Rico a large one bedroom w/ sofa loveseat and King size bed ! What is most reliable Company to go with ? Heard about U-Pack they quoted me at $4300

Old 03-30-2015, 04:08 PM

15,299 posts, read 6,634,187 times
I agree with those who say sell it all and start over when you get there.

We hauled off a ton of stuff. But couldn't part with the books. Then there was the leather sofa and chair we'd paid a fortune for and was so comfy. Tools, of course. Videos of the kids.

Before you know it, we had UPack tractor trailer half full.

But it was about half what a Haul would have cost and they kept it waiting for us at $400/month while we found and bought a house. So it all worked out.

We have moved with nearly every moving company over the years. This was the first time ever that all our stuff arrived and it was all in decent condition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues