Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2007, 09:23 AM

5 posts, read 340,182 times

Advertisements

I am moving from chicago to the orlando area around the 15th of June. My dates are somewhat flexible. I am moving a large 1 bedroom apt to a house in the suburbs of orlando. I have looked at renting a truck and that is going to cost over $1600 when all is said and done. I also have a small car that I am not sure I want to drive down but the cheapest price I have found online to transport it is $600. There has got to be a cheaper way! If anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

Last edited by mikewilson2323; 05-31-2007 at 09:33 AM.. Reason: bad title
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 12:18 PM

146 posts, read 1,008,879 times
We are facing the same thing in moving to Wisconsin. We went to reserve a Uhaul truck last week and was given a price of $500.00 for a 17 foot truck and a trailor to haul our van. We wanted to look around and see if we could find another company cheaper (we used Ryder in the past) but couldn't find anything else locally. We went back three days later and the price had gone up to $623.00 because we were reserving it on a holiday weekend! Not renting it, just reserving it! Isn't that crazy! We dont' need it until the end of June. So, we have decided to cancel our Uhaul and fill our van with what we can to get by and come back in the fall and rent a smaller truck when it is cheaper in both the rental and in gas. You may not have that option but moving in the summer is terrible as everyone obviously gouges in price, including the cost of gas.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:56 PM

38 posts, read 829,993 times
You may want to try Move with the Truck Rental Alternative - ABF U-Pack Moving. That is the company we used to moved long distance. We moved frm GA to IL. If you have ever seen those tractor trailors with the green ABF on the trailor that is the company. It was cheaper. I had cld several companies to get quotes and everyone was quoting me based upon lbs (approx 8-10,000). The cheapest was running us around $2700. We then found upack and they quoted us based upon ft which was better. For a three bdrm house plus garage we only pd $1286. After we calc'd the rental cost of the truck, the gas it was going to take and time; we decided to go with them. We were quoted using 16ft (which equates to a 20ft uhaul truck). We packed everything within that 16ft and if we went over it was only an extra 28.00p/ft that we went over. The trailor is 8ft wide and 9ft tall. The key to making it all fit is to pack stack all the way to the top. Leave no space unused.We used a ladder to stack completely to the top.

We did all the packing ourselves. They dropped off a 28ft trailor at our house and we had three days to pack the trailor and once we were finished they would come and pick it up. They tell you that it can take them up to three days to come and pick it up but with us they actually were able to pick up the trailor the next day. They were so user friendly and customer focused. With everyone else you have to put down a deposit for your move with them you don't. They even will allow you to pay once the trailor has arrived at its destination. Once the trailor arrives at the terminal in the destination city; they will even hold it for you (if needed) for two days before they start charging you a storage fee. You even have the option to let them store your furniture for you vs taking it off the trailor and putting it in a storage unit. We did end up needing the two days hold b/c our place was not ready but we did not pay until he brought the trailor to our house on that Friday. They only chrg 395.00 for storage and they will store it for 30dys (this amount is not prorated). The only catch to that is you have to pay for the bill in full at the time of packing if not you have to pay 50.00 p/dy for storage.

We will only be here for three years and we will have to move again. We will be going to TX and I am going to use them again.

Tips on packing... try to use boxes all the same sizes. This will eliminate waisted space. Pack your boxes tight or if you use the collapsable bins pack tight. You can even contact a local moving company and they will even show you how to pack.

Old 05-31-2007, 10:05 PM

38 posts, read 829,993 times
Oh another thing the time you move make a [b]BIG[b]difference in your price for example we first did our quote for move date eff 6/1 and the price was $1599. My husband report date was changed and he had to be here three weeks early so our price dropped to $1286. Just a three week difference see how much it saved us.

Gas is high for everyone and that was another reason we decided to let them ship our furniture b/c the cost had gone down and it was way less hassle. All we had to do was pack the truck and we had to unload the truck. I did not mind that all b/c that ensured my stuff did not get broken.

They shipped our merchandise and everything went smoothly. We had no problems with anything and b/c we had packed everything so tight nothing shifted and was damaged or broken.

This company was great and I would recommend them to anyone. In fact, our neighbors across the street were being transferred to TX and they used the same company and was packing the same time we were and I spk with them once they arrived and they said the same thing. They were very pleased with everything. They in fact are utilizing the 30dy storage b/c they had not found a house to buy before they were due to pack out.

The site again is Move with the Truck Rental Alternative - ABF U-Pack Moving.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:17 AM

1 posts, read 322,884 times
Default ABF U-Pack Moving- Highly recommended!

We used ABF for our cross country relocation last summer and found the service to be great. The previous listing provides a great description of the services. Everything was as stated.

We saved half of what it would have cost with UHUAL. It was so nice to just drive cross country in our car and not have to hassle with driving the moving truck (that is priceless, in quality of life terms).

We had corporate moves twice before and did a self move using ABF. I think because we took the time to pack according to recommendations, we had fewer broken things than with the corporate move.

Good luck!

Old 07-12-2007, 03:09 PM

8,438 posts, read 12,113,860 times
Call Driveaway if you want to get your car to the Orlando area. They are pretty cheap. The way it works is that someone going to that area drives your car down, just for the ride. Its delivered to your door.

Old 07-12-2007, 04:56 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,210,241 times
I am actually moving from Chicago to Tampa and it was going to cost so much that we are selling everything and re-buying there!!

Old 07-15-2007, 08:53 PM

24 posts, read 430,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewilson2323 View Post
I am moving from chicago to the orlando area around the 15th of June. My dates are somewhat flexible. I am moving a large 1 bedroom apt to a house in the suburbs of orlando. I have looked at renting a truck and that is going to cost over $1600 when all is said and done. I also have a small car that I am not sure I want to drive down but the cheapest price I have found online to transport it is $600. There has got to be a cheaper way! If anyone has any suggestions that would be great.
How on earth are you gonna fit a large 1 bedroom apartment into a house?

Old 07-17-2007, 05:54 PM

309 posts, read 1,207,899 times
Smile Moving Companies

Greetings,

My advice to anyone, who needs to move long distance, should check the website of ABF themselves.. It is not good news.

Still looking for a way myself... any new ideas...

Old 07-17-2007, 10:16 PM

7 posts, read 342,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionandlamb View Post
Greetings,

My advice to anyone, who needs to move long distance, should check the website of ABF themselves.. It is not good news.

Still looking for a way myself... any new ideas...
Just used ABF to move from Florida to Ohio. They dropped the trailer off in the morning around 7a and we chose the option to pick it up the same day. After packing the trailer, we just called and told them it was ready to be picked up by around 11p.

Originally, we were going to have it shipped to an address, however, the curves of our apartment complex did not allow a trailer to be delivered there. Instead, we used a Penske truck to load up our stuff from the trailer terminal (since it was near our address..fortunately), and bring it to our apartment. Saved about $100.

The customer service was great and I highly recommend them if you want to save money. The only hard part is carrying all of the stuff and packing it in the trailer, but it beats driving cross country in a U-Haul any day.

I don't know what you mean when you say "it is not good news." ABF is great news!!...heh

mikewilson2323...I'm looking for a place to ship my car also. What companies are you looking at?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues