Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 12:28 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,995,442 times

Advertisements

I CAN'T wait to move out of my parents house!!! I love my parents, but I need to exercise the freedom to do whatever I want, when I want! I don't like packing/unpacking (it's a chore for me) but I'll do it if it takes me to the road of utter freedom and happiness! However, moving from home to college campus dorms/apartments has been a big help as a precursor of sorts. I want to be able to move all of the things I will need in my '98 Ford Taurus for my last year of college (without my parents' help)...going the minimalistic route!

Given the state of the economy, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of young and not-so-young people felt this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 07:16 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
We just moved, and I want to join this club! I never want to move again, either!

We're currently renting with option to buy. Our lease is for one year. Although this house isn't exactly what we want, its quite nice, moving would only provide some minor improvements in our lifestyle, and the price is right. The main advantage---we're here! I estimate it will be nest Srping at the earliest by the time we get these boxes unpacked, anyways!

Old 08-05-2010, 07:59 PM

438 posts, read 1,115,220 times
I'm in the club and I haven't moved yet! I have three or four more days before the movers come and I can barely remember doing anything with my days other than packing boxes! I can't stand the thought of unpacking. Maybe I'll just pull stuff out of the boxes as I need it.

Last time I moved, 12 years ago, I promised myself I'd have the moving company do all the packing. But then I started thinking about it, how they would put stuff in boxes willy-nilly, so I decided to do the packing myself except for two big mirrors and a couple of other things that are heavy. I'm still glad I'm doing it myself, but oh, what a hassle it is.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:23 PM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
never

ever

ever!
I moved a month ago and I am saying the same thing. It was my third move in a year. This one came with a mortgage, though, so I won't be going anywhere for a while.

Still have boxes to unpack.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:50 PM

Here's an idea for those who might move again. we recently moved, and are in the process of unpacking. Keep the boxes (they are expensive) and label what was in them, that way it will be a cinch to re box things, won't have to hunt for the right box to fit the item. also, keep the packing paper, its expensive.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:18 AM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Here's an idea for those who might move again. we recently moved, and are in the process of unpacking. Keep the boxes (they are expensive) and label what was in them, that way it will be a cinch to re box things, won't have to hunt for the right box to fit the item. also, keep the packing paper, its expensive.
I did just that when I moved last November, knowing I would be moving again within the year.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:09 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I'm doing this too. Not sure when I'll move again but I paid good money for some of those boxes. Also, alot of our things have unusual sizes (i.e., artwork) and it's hard getting boxes that are the right size. We have a big attic and I am roping up the boxes, bubble wrap and packing paper for next time.

I also keep the original boxes of some things, like my coffee maker and china. Flatten them out if I can and keep the styrofoam.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:20 PM

We are just renting a house here for a year, mainly because our credit doesn't qualify us for a mortgage. We figure we'd like to get a good feel for the area, while repairing our credit, which we figure will take about a year.

We originally thought of this house as a temporary place, looking for a bigger home with more land, etc, but this place is growing on us. Not having so much to heat, air condition and maintain is a plus! We figure what would a bigger house gain us, ayways? More work and more expense, plus more to unload if circumstances change in an uncertain environment.

This house is offered at 189K (of course, after our lease ends). We figure we could scrape together 20% down, get a 15 year mtg, make extra payments, and have it paid off in 7-8 years, right when we'd be looking to retire. Having the home paid for would be a real asset, whether we live here or not. We would be relieved of the burden of house payments, and have substantial equity if we decide to sell and downsize. I'm starting to like this place. We couldn't do our "seven year plan" with a more expensive house, couldn't make those numbers work with something more expensive. Hopefully the real estate market will go up by then, or at least if it doesn't, we aren't stuck with a monster to unload!

Regardless, I still plan to keep those boxes, at least the odd sized ones!

Old 08-10-2010, 01:32 AM

2 posts, read 4,357 times
we don't have to be upset in moving.There are lots of moving rental offers in the internet today.Their services includes moving tips and moving guides, moving quotes, and moving services from car shipping to self storage. you can try:
http://www.moversdirectory.com
http://www.movingcompanies.com

Old 08-12-2010, 04:17 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,410,470 times
Never say never... "life is what happens while you're busy making other plans."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues