Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 05:07 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,687,196 times

Advertisements

i say the dog goes in the moving truck(cab) and she drives the car with the baby...you will be stopping to get gas so the dog can get a chance to potty and whatever and drink and if you're not in a too awful big rush grab a motel 6 a couple nights. Dogs are great travelers....they just sleep. If you break up that drive into a few days you all will be less stressed. If you do it tht way then there isn't a time crunch...so if the baby doesn't want to go back into the carseat after being out of it for 10 minutes then no big deal. and yeah, 2 way radios were great to have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 05:25 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
Quote:
I'm not sure if this is a good idea, having the baby fly for hours. Is that an okay idea?
Yeah, because babies NEVER fly. Ever. No one ever goes to visit grandma. No one ever lives thousands of miles away from family and visits them several times a year. Ever. Jeez.

Of course its okay to fly with a baby for hours.

Nurse or bottle feed during takeoff to help reduce the pressure that builds up in the babies ears, that will keep them from crying the whole flight. And regardless of what the airline says, buy a second seat for the child. You won't be able to keep the kid still and quiet just sitting on your lap for hours and hours.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:31 AM

14 posts, read 43,785 times
Smile Flying ahead isn't as bad as you think! Really!! :o)

I have done quite a bit of traveling, from New England, (mostly vacationing, I admit); however, Mom of 3 children. We started traveling when they were very young, long distances at that! ie: Mexico, ALL over the Caribbean, & IF you plan the flight out right...it'll go just fine!
If possible keep your connections to one or less, (non-stop preferrably), pack snacks, you can get water/juice on plane, bring travel size blanket & pillow for you both & OF COURSE DON'T FORGET to bring the car seat on board the flight...it's worth your child's safety, to pay for "extra" seat! Depending on child's age, bring a few easily handled (no lots of pieces) of toys/entertainment. Sit back, & enjoy the ride! It's A LOT faster & LESS headache than you think! I've been doing it for years now! (Not to brag.)

Old 03-24-2010, 12:41 AM

108 posts, read 508,634 times
Being a military wife, I've had my share of moving experiences. We moved from Texas to Pennsylvania. We had a 3 year old and a dog. We towed our pick-up truck behind a UHaul. It was late Fall, so we put the dog in her crate in the back of the pick-up truck. It had a full cab and since it wasn't too hot or too cold, we didn't have to worry about the weather. We used bungee cords to secure the crate to truck bed so it wouldn't bounce around too much. She had some thick pads to lie on and we stopped pretty often to let her out and give everyone a stretch. I won't sugarcoat it. It wasn't fun.

My son also moved from the East Coast to the West Coast recently. He did ABF Upack, as someone suggested. He only had a 1 bedroom apartment to move, so that made it easier. He wasn't taking a car so he flew out there ahead of his belongings and took a week to find a place before his stuff arrived. It all worked out and it was cheaper than if he had packed and driven a UHaul. I've also been planning to move to the West Coast from the East Coast, but I plan on selling most everything I have and taking only what means the most to me. I'll pull a small trailer behind my car for my precious things and it will be just the dog and I in the car.

So lots of different ways to handle this.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:15 AM

14 posts, read 43,785 times
Smile ABF.com vs...ALL of ur other options mentioned!

I just heard bout ABF, from another thread, (we're moving from CT 2 GA), & originally priced the typical DIY's..but this ABF (only had a quick look/quote) ...looks like the way 2 go! I've got 3 children, 1 dog, 3bdrm+, & 1 vehicle, AND doing it alone! ABF...will probably be the way I go!

Old 03-25-2010, 01:36 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,161,728 times
You may have to leave a few non-essentials in storage and go back for them when you have time.

I speak from experience. I moved myself over 1,000 miles last summer. I also moved cold and lived out of a hotel for 2 weeks until I got an apartment. I did this in order to start a new job.

I brought clothes, a few dishes, a crockpot, an iron, and personal care items with me in my car. I went back in August to get the rest of my things and my daughter. I had a family member drive the moving truck back here. I paid some guys in my apartment complex to unload my things. This is doable. It's not fun but it is doable.

I actually think that experience made me a stronger person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues