U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 12:07 AM

28 posts, read 57,361 times

Advertisements

Anyone who can speak from experience (or who just wants to share an opinion) I would love to hear it.

We are relocating from Utah to Pennsylvania. This is a short-notice move (three weeks), and my husband needs to be out there before we really have things wrapped up here (renting out our house, etc.). His start date is April 1st. Our stuff is shipping out in relocubes on 3/22. We have two cars and two kids to move 2000 miles.

He and I were planning to drive out in one of our cars, leaving on 3/24. Try to make good time by driving a lot. Get there a few days before his start date and do some apartment hunting, and hopefully find a place. I was to fly back to UT and drive back a week later with the kids, accompanied by my sister. She can no longer drive with me, so I am trying to figure out the best plan.

Which is more manageable/reasonable/possible/easier/safer:

1 - For me (female, age 31) to drive 2000 miles from Utah to Pennsylvania with our 2.5-year-old and a 7-month-old, without the assistance of another adult.

2 - For me to fly 2000 miles (not nonstop, one plane change) with my children, again without assistance (with each of them in their own seat, with both their carseats). My hub and I would still leave on 3/24, caravaning in both our cars. I would fly back to UT, and out to PA again with the kids.

Or are both ideas totally crazy?

There are two other options, which are:

3 - Find another family member to do the car journey with me and the kids. The drawback of this option is that we don't know how long it will be until someone can take the time to do this. This option could mean separating our family for up to three months.

4 - Just push through and rush everything and leave on 3/24 with both cars and both kids. Realistic to make it there before his start date on April 1st?

What should I do???

Last edited by venusv; 03-19-2010 at 12:08 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 06:46 AM

13,104 posts, read 24,880,333 times
The first thing I would cross off my list is to drive that far with two children that young with out another adult/driver.

I would fly..as far as caravaning, won't you need your car for a bit when you return to Utah? Check car hauler rates and when you're ready to fly east take your car to a relatives house for pick up by car carrier.
When daughter in laws sister got out of the military it cost her about $1000 to have car shipped from Oakland CA to NJ

Old 03-19-2010, 07:04 AM

26,346 posts, read 82,977,020 times
No way drive; you'll go nuts.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:42 PM

538 posts, read 1,659,621 times
If I were you, and this may be too late, I would push through and caravan with my husband. I don't think a female driving alone with two babies is safe. Fflying, though safer, doesn't seem like a good idea because of having to wait until someone can drive back with you. I would rather do what I can to get there, take some time to settle in and if you have to fly back to tie up loose strings so be it. Flying alone with two young kids is possible though. I have done it with four, 11 and under. Believe it or not airlines and complete strangers can be quite helpful.
Good luck whatever your decision!

Old 03-22-2010, 10:08 AM

28 posts, read 57,361 times
Thanks for the replies. Now we are strongly considering renting the car-hauling trailer to pull our compact car behind our pick-up when we leave on Wednesday. We are just checking into whether our truck can do the job. Yes, the rates to have the car shipped would be about $1000 - but that's $1000 we would rather not spend if we can find a way to do it for less. I would still fly back as planned to tie up the loose ends (I will be staying with my parents, and can borrow one of their cars if necessary), and I would most likely fly to PA alone with the two kids, or pay for someone to fly with me, or my husband might fly to Utah so he could fly back with us.

I'm sure we'll all get there somehow! Thanks again!

Old 03-22-2010, 01:19 PM

3,696 posts, read 5,807,867 times
I went the crazy route with three children, two cats and a dog. And without drugs.

Now I'm just clearly insane.

Good luck to you and remember, it's an adventure. Just keep thinking about how they used to do it in covered wagons and what wimps we are now. You'll be surprised how well the kids do.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:14 PM

7,410 posts, read 12,940,514 times
My step daughter flew from Nashville to Germany with a 2 yr old and a 6 yr old. No problems! The stewardesses couldn't have been nicer she said, stopping by often to see if she needed anything and to talk to the kids.
This is just a wild idea on the trip out, but do you have to take both vehicles with you? Was wondering about the possibility of selling your car and sticking that money back to buy another once you get settled. Just a thought! Either way you go, have a safe trip!

Old 03-22-2010, 10:26 PM

8,710 posts, read 10,400,401 times
I just flew from Detroit to Vegas and there was a guy with two little ones, by himself, and I mean little...one was a baby and the other looked about 18mos or so. He did fine. Was hectic for him, but he managed. People do help. I have flown with 2 before, by myself...with a stinkin' layover! That was the pits but it can be done. They were 2 and 11 mos. I can't see doing it now, but that is because I did it then and am OVER it!!

Good luck! It isn't all that bad, flying with them.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:39 AM

1,492 posts, read 6,956,996 times
Your kids are perfect ages to drive with...now if they were teenagers....I'd suggest flying.

I've driven from coast to coast with three children and come to think of it...from south to north and north to south...but when they got to be teenagers.... driving became impossible.

When we moved from Vegas to NC, I let the one drive one car (oldest college kid), flew the one tween on Delta, and then I took one of the teens (middle child) and the furniture truck. That was our last move.
We are military- but a that doesn't matter. All mothers do what they have to do.

But again, your kids are perfect age for driving long distances. Your toddler needs a "busy bag" and your younger one needs some things as well...and you need some good music and Mt. Dew.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:11 PM

3,047 posts, read 6,578,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by venusv View Post
Thanks for the replies. Now we are strongly considering renting the car-hauling trailer to pull our compact car behind our pick-up when we leave on Wednesday. We are just checking into whether our truck can do the job. Yes, the rates to have the car shipped would be about $1000 - but that's $1000 we would rather not spend if we can find a way to do it for less. I would still fly back as planned to tie up the loose ends (I will be staying with my parents, and can borrow one of their cars if necessary), and I would most likely fly to PA alone with the two kids, or pay for someone to fly with me, or my husband might fly to Utah so he could fly back with us.

I'm sure we'll all get there somehow! Thanks again!
Have you tried calling multiple car transport companies? I have had my car transported many times and the prices vary from company to company. Another thought is to have someone you know drive it out for you and then fly them back. Good luck in your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues