U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 03:32 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,323,798 times

Advertisements

I hope this is the right forum to post this...

I currently work for a large company that has offices in several different states and some international locations as well. I'm a relatively recent college graduate (3 years). I'm also single and have absolutely no ties to the city I live in. I am currently renting a place too. The particular group I work with right now just seems to be running out of work for the amount of people that are in the group. I work with a very old legacy system that is going to start going to be provided with less funding in the long run. I just don't want to be a part of something that is only going to be maintained and not so much expanded on anymore. I want to be a part of something new and exciting that has a lot of potential for expansion. The current work I am doing just feels real stagnant and almost just "busy work" to keep the paycheck coming and nothing that will really be valuable to our customer in the end. It's just becoming meaningless to me and I want to do something meaningful for my job in life (don't we all!).

I'm thinking about staying with the same company but just relocate to another state. Currently, I live farther away from my family (let's just say 11 hour drive). The company I work for does not have any jobs in the state where my family is in, but they do have jobs in adjacent states. I was thinking about transferring to one of those. I contacted someone in the company and they said that there is nothing stopping the future boss from calling the current boss before even scheduling an interview. So I feel like I have no choice but to play it safe and tell my boss ahead of time that I'm wanting to move on. So now I need to figure out how I'm going to tell my boss all of this and still keep a decent relationship with him.

Also, I heard that a similar group across the hall from where I work seem to be looking for people. So, while I could probably get a new job in there really easily if I wanted to, I almost feel like it would be more of the same.

While I don't have any huge problems with the city I live in, it doesn't seem to be a good city for a single person to live in, especially if they don't know anyone when they first moved in.

I've never tried relocating to another state like this before. I see some jobs on my company's website that I could be qualified for, but they are all in different states. So what do you think are my chances of landing a new job in another state within the same company? There is no way in this economy that I am going to move somewhere and then try applying for jobs, so I feel like I have no choice but to stay where I am until I have a new position secured somewhere else. How should I go about discussing all of this with my boss without messing up the good relationship I have with him?

Thanks!

Last edited by Caldus; 03-20-2010 at 03:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 03:41 PM

26,346 posts, read 82,817,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldus View Post
I contacted someone in the company and they said that there is nothing stopping the future boss from calling the current boss before even scheduling an interview. So I feel like I have no choice but to play it safe and tell my boss ahead of time that I'm wanting to move on.
Unless you think your current boss can actually help you get a job in a new location, then it isn't necessary to tell him that you are looking elsewhere within the company (or out of the company). And if the potential new boss asks your current boss about you, so what?

If you go ahead and tell your current boss that you are looking, is there any way that can work against you? If you are not 100% certain it won't then it can't hurt, but I still don't think it is necessary to tell him.

Do you have a functional manager (not a program manager) who acts like a "home room" and whose job it is to keep you employed? It's OK to tell him; it's his job to help you with career development.

Do you think your current boss will release you if you are accepted into a new position in your current company?

Is relocation provided? Is this a factor?

Would you consider changing companies? How about it a new company gave you a 20% increase?

Old 03-20-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Unless you think your current boss can actually help you get a job in a new location, then it isn't necessary to tell him that you are looking elsewhere within the company (or out of the company). And if the potential new boss asks your current boss about you, so what?

Do you think your current boss will release you if you are accepted into a new position in your current company?

Is relocation provided? Is this a factor?

Would you consider changing companies? How about it a new company gave you a 20% increase?
I just don't want to surprise him and sour our relationship because of a potential employer calling him without knowing that I am looking. I don't know how he would really react, but it would really suck if I burn that bridge with him as this is the only job I have had in my field. Maybe he would be OK with it too, I really don't know.

Is he allowed to just keep me and not let me go? That doesn't seem right. I would certainly do my part to make the transition smooth by passing on my knowledge to someone else there.

Probably not in most cases. No it is not a factor to me cost-wise. I'm doing quite well financially and will pay relocation costs at my own expense if I have to.

I would, but I don't know how difficult it would be in this economy. I thought about the internal transfer idea because I felt it would be the best chance of landing a job in another state right now. Money is not a huge factor to me, as long as it's not more than 10% lower than what I am making right now (after adjusting cost of living in another state). Obviously welcome a higher salary. One thing about the company I work in right now is that it has a lot of good benefits, such as employee contributions for 401K, pension plans, and employer-provided health care.

Old 03-20-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Is he allowed to just keep me and not let me go?

I would, but I don't know how difficult it would be in this economy. I thought about the internal transfer idea because I felt it would be the best chance of landing a job in another state right now. Money is not a huge factor to me, as long as it's not more than 10% lower than what I am making right now (after adjusting cost of living in another state). Obviously welcome a higher salary. One thing about the company I work in right now is that it has a lot of good benefits, such as employee contributions for 401K, pension plans, and employer-provided health care.
Yes, he can do that if you wanted to transfer internally with your existing company.

Try looking for another job. A 20% increase is normal to change jobs. I've done it many times. If you stay with one company for a long time you will probably average the measly 3% or 4% COLA every year. Better to change companies a couple times every five years or so to get those big jumps in pay. Other than a pension and the benefits to it by staying with one company, there is no reason to be loyal to a company. You've got to "manage" the companies.

Old 03-20-2010, 04:18 PM

OK, that's news to me actually. He really likes the work I do and has given me great reviews each year so far. So I can see the possibility of him forcing me to stay. So if I get a position secured somewhere else and he is trying to force me to stay, then what happens?

If I leave the company, then yeah my pension would not be vested and may lose certain benefits. At least then I could maybe just move back home. Now I have no idea which direction I should go with all of this! :O

Old 03-20-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
OK, that's news to me actually. He really likes the work I do and has given me great reviews each year so far. So I can see the possibility of him forcing me to stay. So if I get a position secured somewhere else and he is trying to force me to stay, then what happens?

If I leave the company, then yeah my pension would not be vested and may lose certain benefits. At least then I could maybe just move back home. Now I have no idea which direction I should go with all of this! :O

If he forces you to stay, he could claim that your leaving will risk program objectives.

It can't hurt to try to look elsewhere for work. If nothing happens, no big deal but if another company gives you a 20% raise and the 401(k), and benefits are the same or close, then you will have to make a decision. Hey, this is fun, go for it. You've got nothing to lose and everything to gain. Also, another job can beef up your resume with additional skills and keywords.

Old 03-20-2010, 04:26 PM

How hard do you think it would be for me secure a position somewhere else before relocating? Would I have a better shot if I was doing the internal transfer or would I have the same/better chance of relocating to a different state and company?

Old 03-20-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
How hard do you think it would be for me secure a position somewhere else before relocating? Would I have a better shot if I was doing the internal transfer or would I have the same/better chance of relocating to a different state and company?
Depends on the health of the companies at the destination. If you work for company A and company A is laying off in your destination city but company B is hiring there, then you'd you're more likely to get picked up by company B - with a better chance of picking up a bigger pay increase too.

Old 03-20-2010, 06:15 PM

I've been reading other threads in here, and it seems like you have to live somewhere first before you can get a job there. Otherwise, employers don't take you seriously.

Old 03-20-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
I've been reading other threads in here, and it seems like you have to live somewhere first before you can get a job there. Otherwise, employers don't take you seriously.

That's probably true, but it doesn't cost anything to apply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues