U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 01:50 PM

183 posts, read 1,025,025 times

Advertisements

For those of you who have moved long distance recently, what did you do?
I am moving from NJ to Ocala this summer. I am moving from a 1 bedroom apt. (with full basement for storage) to a 2 bedroom apt.
I have 2 cats and 2 large dogs.
I wonder how expensive it would be to fly the pets (some or all)?
Is that more or less stressful than driving?
Is U-haul the best company?
Should I just sell most of our stuff and but new stuff once we move?
Should I get a moving truck company?
Should I get a "POD?"
AHHHHHHHH You can see how stressed out I am! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 03:38 PM

460 posts, read 2,100,840 times
Hi newteacher!
We are moving to Palm Coast from Illinois in about 3 weeks, with 3 kids, 1 German Shepherd, and a cat, maybe the fish too, and I will tell you what I have found out so far.
We decided to go with Penske trucks because everyone told me that they are less expensive than U-Haul, and have better service. I compared rates and Penske is much cheaper.
We did not look into getting a moving company or a POD because they were MUCH more expensive and we are on a tight budget and time schedule for this move.
I have been getting rid of anything that we have not used in a year and any old furniture that you may want to replace later on anyway.
We have reserved a 26 foot truck, plus a hitch for our second car, and its only going to cost us about 1100.00.
We have found hotels that are cheap and pet friendly also..Motel 6 is one of them I think.
And I will be getting some tranquilizers for the pets too.

Good Luck and Keep us posted!
Jen

Old 06-05-2007, 03:57 PM

1,775 posts, read 7,171,810 times
My brother in law moved to FL from NY. he bought an old School bus, gutted out all the seats inside, stuffed it with his stuff and sold it again when he moved to FL. I know, kind of tacky but that's my brother in law.

Old 06-05-2007, 04:11 PM

975 posts, read 3,366,576 times
How difficult is a hitch? Does it make it more difficult to drive the moving truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellefort View Post
My brother in law moved to FL from NY. he bought an old School bus, gutted out all the seats inside, stuffed it with his stuff and sold it again when he moved to FL. I know, kind of tacky but that's my brother in law.

Old 06-05-2007, 04:19 PM

471 posts, read 1,482,315 times
Unless they are treasured family antiques, I would sell everything except the pets.
With whatever money you get and the savings of moving costs you can make a good start or even cover the costs of replacing your furniture-I did it through consignment shops and estate/garage sales.

LaQuinta Inns are pet friendly and don't charge for them.

Old 06-05-2007, 04:20 PM

73 posts, read 358,304 times
Check out this website, it might help you out a bit....Moving: How to avoid Moving Company Scams

Old 06-05-2007, 04:28 PM

60 posts, read 266,374 times
Default In the middle of it now

I moved from NY two weeks ago and just received word from the professional movers I hired that they will be here by the end of this week. I also went from a one bedroom apt. to a two bedroom condo. I donated, sorted, tossed, and sold most of the stuff and it is still costing a small fortune to move. My car along with houshold is all on the same truck. Been extremely stressed out about this for months. I flew down with one small suitcase,laptop and one small dog.

Old 06-05-2007, 04:34 PM
SKB

901 posts, read 3,090,821 times
Driving long distance with that many pets is very stressful and hard on pets, flying is hard on them to, but I think flying is better as it is much faster.

When we moved up from The Bahamas we only had one option obviously and my three dogs, one cat were great. The two larger dogs flew in crates, I put their metal water bowls with frozen water in them, attached their leashes, and attached notes on their crates telling all about the dogs, plus emergency numbers, extra water, etc...They were treated like gold, and a kind soul even took them out for a break in between flights in Philadelphia.

The little Pekingese and cat flew in cabin with us, one in first class and one in coach, this was the rule of British airways at the time. Since only one pet per class was allowed, they upgraded us for free. It was nice.

I did NOT tranqulize my pets as it is dangerous for flying According to the American Veterinary Medical Association, in most cases, dogs should not be given sedatives or tranquilizers prior to flying. An animal's natural ability to balance and maintain equilibrium is altered under sedation, which can be dangerous when the kennel is moved. You should NEVER place a pug nosed dog in the cargo section of the plane.

Whether your dog is flying in the cabin or as a checked pet, he will be exposed to increased altitude pressures. This can create respiratory and cardiovascular problems for dogs which are sedated or tranquilized. Snub-nosed dogs are most at risk.

Here is some good tips: Flying with your Pet - Air Travel Regulations & Tips for a Safe Trip

I know we paid 100.00 for each larger dog in cargo (five years ago) and 75.00 for little dog (just last month I flew with him, prices have gone up) and they didn't charge us for the cat (that time)
We are moving Sept 16 and I will be repeating the same thing over again.

I would not even consider driving all the way from Montreal to Florida with that many animals in the vehicle. If an accident were to happen... (I shudder at the thought). When I do travel with my pets in the car they always travel in their crates with seat belts.

If I were you, I would save the expensive of renting and sell your stuff. Things are so cheap on craigslist, garage sales etc..if you are on a budget.

Chill, look at this as an adventure and relax everything will be fine.

P.S.
The cat gave us some grief She freaked out in the airport,when we had to take her out of her soft sided kennel for the x-ray. she bit my husband and scratched us up really bad. I hope she is older and wiser this time.

Best of luck.

Old 06-05-2007, 04:37 PM

125 posts, read 676,002 times
Default movers

I'm waiting to hear about my husbands transfer to Florida and have done my homework about the movers. We are in Ohio and will move from a 4 bedroom 2 1/2 car garage, full basement to a 3 bedroom mfg home. The full service movers are expensive. We sold a lot to 1) declutter the house to put it on the market and 2) to help unload the extra stuff and weight. I had full service movers come in and give me quotes and got between 3800 and 4300 for the move - did not include them packing - just loading and unloading. I did find a company called UPACK. They drop the trailer, you load, they drive and you unload. About 1/2 the price. We will drive down in separate vehicles, my husband's car with the 2 cats, and me in my pickup with the dog. It is easy to find pet friendly motels on the way down. Good luck!

Old 06-05-2007, 04:39 PM

975 posts, read 3,366,576 times
Jannie, since you don't have a lot of stuff are they combining your furniture with another load and giving you a deal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jannie View Post
I moved from NY two weeks ago and just received word from the professional movers I hired that they will be here by the end of this week. I also went from a one bedroom apt. to a two bedroom condo. I donated, sorted, tossed, and sold most of the stuff and it is still costing a small fortune to move. My car along with houshold is all on the same truck. Been extremely stressed out about this for months. I flew down with one small suitcase,laptop and one small dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues