U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Old 04-07-2010, 10:43 AM
131 posts, read 364,867 times
Reputation: 65


Eventually we will be moving 5.5 hrs away (family of 5). Hopefully my husband can secure a job before we move, but IF he can't, which is the better option?
First, a little info...Our monthly bills (rent, utilities, groceries, etc) are about $2500. I only bring in about $165/week babysitting. We will not be moving until we have at least 20K saved ( 12K for down payment etc, and 8K for transitional money)

#1 DH quits his job, moves there alone and rents a sublet for a month or 2...hopefully less(say $650/mo) and looks for a job there. Once he starts work, we start looking for a house. (DH can look in person and I can look online, plus I will make a trip or 2 out there to see any homes he really loves). It would be nice not to have to drag the kids with us, and we would still have a little money coming in. Plus we would only have to move the kids once...hopefully during the summer so switching schools mid year wouldn't be an issue. But on the downside, whatever money I made would sort of be nil since we would be paying for rent x2.

#2 We move as a family and rent an apt. or house for 6 mo- 1yr. DH looks for a job and I try to look for a child to babysit. We look for a house when our lease is about up. On the upside, we would only be paying one rent. Also, we would be able to familiarize ourselves with the area before making such a huge committment to a house. On the downside, we would have ZERO income at first (scary!) and another BIG negative is that we would have to move twice, and probably have the children change schools twice I really didn't want to do that.

SO what should we do? Or if you have an #3 you could suggest, I am all ears!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 01:41 AM
28 posts, read 93,468 times
Reputation: 18
Hmn... That would be risky. Financially, I mean. What are your considerations for moving? Is this a better neighborhood than the one you are living in? Does this new place have a better job market?

But all questions aside, I'd go for option #1. I'd choose having more financial security first by getting a job before dragging the kids. Maybe your husband can postpone quitting his job until you have the minimum target savings, too. Once you are apart, you may no longer be able to save considering you'd be paying for rent x 2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:39 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top