U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2010, 03:42 PM

361 posts, read 957,373 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving in a few months from New Orleans to Miami and want to know what would be the cheapest method of moving my posessions from a small studio apartment? Mainly whether I should do it through UPS or a moving company?

More specifically, I've been looking at a newer U-Haul feature called the U-Box, where they drop off a large cargo-type container, in which you stuff all your belongings in, and U-Haul employees then proceed to drive that cargo box anywhere in the country. If anyone is familiar with this method, please let me know more about it as the U-Haul website is very vague about the process. It sounds convenient though, and they claim on the website it is cost effecient, but who knows what that means.

I would have about 12-15 boxes of stuff total, none of it too fragile. I used UPS to ship my stuff down to New Orleans from Chicago and it coasted about $500+. I'm looking for a cheaper method of moving, as that was a pain to fork up that much money, and not even with a guarantee my stuff would make it to New Orleans completely in tact (which it did though, thank god).

So any info on the cheapest/best method of moving across country would be greatly appreciated. Reps aplenty. Thanks a lot, appreciate the time and help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 07:13 AM

30 posts, read 93,524 times
How big are the 12-15 boxes? I may not be picturing this right, because I would think that many "average" boxes could be loaded into a minivan (rental if need be) and just make the drive yourself. The U-Boxes have a place to plug in your info and it will tell you how much the box is and how much the delivery is. Mine from Missouri to California would be about $3,000 but I would need 3-4 boxes.

Old 04-09-2010, 03:36 PM

361 posts, read 957,373 times
thanks for the info. my boxes are only medium to large, and i would do the whole move myself, but i don't have a car or a driver's license (yet). Could you please provide the link where I can calculate the price of the u-box move? thanks alot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues