Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 10:17 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times

Advertisements

You are so right! Just get rid of it.

I got rid of literally tons of stuff preparing for my move into a smaller home. It wasn't enough and I still need to get rid of more. My whole garage is full. Just last week I donated 11 trash bags(big ones) of clothes and there's more to come as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 01:38 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,306,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
You are so right! Just get rid of it.

I got rid of literally tons of stuff preparing for my move into a smaller home. It wasn't enough and I still need to get rid of more. My whole garage is full. Just last week I donated 11 trash bags(big ones) of clothes and there's more to come as well.
I have moved 4 times over the last 11 years and with each move, the extra things seem to just spawn, lol. On my own, it really didn't bother me. I even had a storge unit full of things that I refused to part with since I had become attached emotionally to them.

When my fiancee (now wife) and I moved in togetther a few years ago and combined households, the gravity of the amount of items we had was staggering. Slowly but surely, we began downsizing. I cleaned out and got rid of everything in the storage unit.

Storage units themselves are not bad if you have to stow things away between moves or on a very temporary basis. Once it exceeds six or more months, it's simply a money pit, IMO. I'm guilty of this but thankfully the place wasn't expensive.

I tossed, sold and donated a ton of books, clothes, CDs and other things I forgot I even had.

It's not easy, but once I got rid of 80% of the things I had, I felt better emotionally and even physically.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:51 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,421,271 times
We didn't get rid of enough things before our move - as we unpack we are sorting them out. Husband is now ready to admit that he doesn't need the Time/Life sets of How To books anymore - nor does he need 20 years of Smithsonian or Parks and Recreation magazines.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by House4kids View Post
We didn't get rid of enough things before our move - as we unpack we are sorting them out. Husband is now ready to admit that he doesn't need the Time/Life sets of How To books anymore - nor does he need 20 years of Smithsonian or Parks and Recreation magazines.
From personal experience, books and magazines were one of the biggest sources of clutter, at least for me. I'm down to three books compared to the hundreds I had. Now with Kindle and other e-book formats, there is no need for me to haul tons of books around anymore.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:08 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
Am I a hoarder? Lazy? I am overwhelmed with stuff in my apt, I don't know where to put stuff, and I have to move at the end of the month.

Time to get going.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:44 AM

970 posts, read 2,213,082 times
You can use the word "basura" in Spanish to refer to junk/garbage. It means trash in the literal sense or it can refer to the object you put trash in!

I put free stuff on the sidewalk all the time with a "free" sign and it's gone within an hour. It helps that I live in a college town but I agree with the idea someone posted for a free garage sale.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:31 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
I managed to get rid of some oversize furniture before the last move, it was liberating!

I can't believe, I hauled around a sectional sofa and king size light bridge headboard, the type with towers, and an entertainment cabinet with towers, TV didn't fit anymore.

Because the moves were all corporate, we just figured take all our furniture with us (although we did sort a lot of other stuff). Well, all that oversized furniture comprimised our choices of new housing. I would reject a house, because I couldn't figure how to fit my furniture in it.

Wow---it was so liberating to just get rid of the oversized stuff, the possibilities it opened up! I donated most of the old furniture or sold it, then, bought "new" at the locat thrift stores, got nicer furniture than I was hauling around, and had better choice of new housing.

don't get tied to your furniture like I did, hey, I didn't even like that stuff!

Old 07-12-2011, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Am I a hoarder? Lazy? I am overwhelmed with stuff in my apt, I don't know where to put stuff, and I have to move at the end of the month.

Time to get going.
Jasper..No..You are not lazy. Things just accumulate rapidly and we are simply too busy to deal with it. Figure out what you want to keep and use and donate/sell/get rid of the rest. I promise you will not miss it and your move will be a lot easier.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:16 PM

8 posts, read 16,669 times
LOL. Who is the Junk Man?

Old 11-03-2011, 07:34 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
We have auctioneers who'll take some stuff here in metro Phoenix. I've called them a few times for tools and stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues