Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 12:25 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,869,387 times

Advertisements

I know I saw a thread on here a long time ago about purchasing boxes, and where to get good deals.

Now I cannot find it.

Can anyone either point me to the thread or give me some ideas of where to look (way too much stuff to go to the grocery store and get boxes) for a good deal? I know some uhaul places sell used boxes. I have to dig out our documents from our last move to see how many boxes they packed to get a better idea of how many I will need, but it will be a lot - six people in our 4 bdr house.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 12:36 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,427,408 times
Find the industrial district in your town or the office district. Go to the back of the building and get the old xerox boxes, very uniform, with lids. Also, talk to the shipping and receiving guys back there.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:49 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,605,098 times
All the big truck rental co sel boxes. Many of the self-storage companies also sell boxes.

You can buy them from places like ULINE Supply. They have any size box but you have to buy in bulk which may not work. They do sell moving kits which have prepackaged kits of various boxes, containers, and packing material.

People like U-Haul because they accept refunds of the unused boxes. So if you get too many you can always bring them back for refund.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:09 PM

381 posts, read 1,361,467 times
Home Depot and Lowe's sell them, too, for pretty competitive prices.

Maybe put an ISO ad on Craigslist?

Old 03-01-2010, 05:08 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,656,177 times
As camrynh sugggest, HD and Lowes have about the best prices. Odd size boxes can be found at Budget and Uhaul Moving centers. If you have a local box manufacture they may sell you a bundle or two but don't expect them to sell boxes individually.

I caution against used boxes unless you know where they came from. Getting free boxes can be the most expensive thing you ever do. Grocery store boxes have been found to exotic insects and snakes hiding their boxes. Boxes are a good home and a free ride for bed bugs and roaches.

Sooner or later you will move again so break down the boxes you bought new and store them in a dry place if you have room. Save your bubble wrap too. Big savings the next time you move.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:30 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,906,401 times
Lowes & HD are what we use when we've moved long distance - we reuse the boxes after we move and rarely have spares for the next move.

Years ago, knowing we were a nomadic family, I "invested" in a really good dishpacking kit, with all the bells and whistles, foam, etc for about $20 for the basics and another $15 in extras. It was WELL worth it to me. I still have it. We have one more move (we're FINALLY buying a house - no more moves!) this spring, and then I'll be passing it on, intact via Craigslist. Any chance you'll be moving out of the DFW area?

Old 03-01-2010, 05:39 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,785,175 times
I purchased my last boxes from Used Cardboard Boxes -- they're relatively inexpensive and Earth-friendly!

Old 03-01-2010, 11:11 PM

11,014 posts, read 17,385,947 times
Exotic insects and snakes in the boxes?? Oh well! If you get boxes sitting outside, there may be bugs in them. When I moved I talked to the manager of the local grocery store and told him what I needed, and how many. In two days I had all the boxes I needed, free of charge. And he told me if I needed more just let him know. I know people who have also checked stores like the Dollar Store. The small canned good boxes are good for clearing out the bathroom.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:31 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,314,763 times
Bars are good for smaller boxes. Beer boxes are usually broken down, but are good and sturdy. Try the ABC store too. When it was moving time, I always went on 'box runs' with the kids and drove behind shopping centers looking for broken down boxes.

Yes you have to be careful with grocery boxes, but there are a lot of other stores that do not sell food. I just cannot see spending money on boxes... such a waste.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:43 AM

4,918 posts, read 22,605,098 times
Buy the boxes. How much is your time worth driving all over looking for used boxes. By buying boxes, you have uniform sizes and not a whole bunch of odd shapes and sizes that never stack right. Geez, under $75 you can get 50 medium/large new boxes all the same size, all stack neatly on top of each other, all clean. Can't you write off the cost of moving supplies when doing a major relocation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues