U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2010, 07:01 PM

4,054 posts, read 7,333,970 times

Advertisements

Okay, I'm done. The movers come tomorrow. Everything is packed except the sheets on the beds and towels for showers tomorrow.

We were supposed to be at the title company at 3:00 p.m. to sign our part of the papers, even though the official closing date is Monday. Completely blew it off - was deep into cleaning the refrigerator when my realtor called at 3:15 wondering where we were. Fortunately it's only about a mile from my house.

Good luck with your garage sale, MaryleeII.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 12:15 PM

7,036 posts, read 6,998,651 times
Liquor stores will give you boxes. They have nice dividers (for the bottles) and make good packing for glasses, especially tall ones.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:18 PM

3,378 posts, read 7,897,825 times
Took my American Eskimo dog to the groomers today for a lion cut so she sheds a whole lot less on our drive from Alaska to Florida. DW is will be coming to town tonight and be pretty shocked. I didn't tell her about it yet.... lol.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:03 PM

9,688 posts, read 15,878,502 times
Big garage sale today! Cleared almost $400, will give to ds to buy a new mountain bike!

The big value for me is getting rid of stuff I have no use for and don't have to haul off. funny, it still looks cluttered to the max in here! I'm sooooo tired tonight, was up until 3 am sorting and setting up the sale, then spent most of the day on the sale.

Tonight I washed and packed my stemware, got boxes from a liquor store with dividers, works perfectly!

Except it looks a little weird having 12 liquor boxes in my garage and I'm stone sober!

Old 06-13-2010, 07:42 AM

7,036 posts, read 6,998,651 times
Default Likewise

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Big garage sale today! Cleared almost $400, will give to ds to buy a new mountain bike!

The big value for me is getting rid of stuff I have no use for and don't have to haul off. funny, it still looks cluttered to the max in here! I'm sooooo tired tonight, was up until 3 am sorting and setting up the sale, then spent most of the day on the sale.

Tonight I washed and packed my stemware, got boxes from a liquor store with dividers, works perfectly!

Except it looks a little weird having 12 liquor boxes in my garage and I'm stone sober!
I know what you mean. I'm using liquor boxes and stacking them in a corner of the finished basement. Myguests must think I consume a LOT of alcohol!

Old 06-13-2010, 12:07 PM

67 posts, read 190,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Yesterday, I packed up a bathroom, but today our deal seems to be going sour, so I'm sitting around moping not knowing whether we're on or off.

I had that problem when my house was up for sale, too and it can get real dissapointing. What I did was, just pack up the stuff that I need, but not right away. Label the box so you always know what is in it. I use the plactic containers with lids and wrote right on the lids everything that was in the box; i.e. extra towels, extra soap; a hairdrye., they come in all different sizes and colors (the boxes, that is) . I just leave out what I use every day, so that when the time comes, it's a quick job. When I finally got an offer on my house it was full price, cash and closing in 10 days! I was glad that I had packed the other stuff because it saved a lot of work in the end.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:11 PM

Today I cleaned up from the garage sale we had yesterday!

How could we have sold all that stuff, and it looks worse than before

Ok, today, I sorted trash, trash day is Tuesday, also, sorted out stuff for s Goodwill pickup on Tuesday. Funny, it seemed to take almost as long to sort for GW as it did for the garage sale! Everything that didn't sell I packed up for GW, perhaps I'm being too meticulous? I removed the price tag, labeled everything GW, put in bags and boxes labeled GW, I also like to double wrap breakables, like figurines, etc, wrap in paper towels, then in ziploc bags, then label fragile.

I must have at least 10 boxes of books I'm donating. Books just don't sell, I might have sold 4-5 books altogether. I did consider taking them to Half Price books, but I've been burned on them, once I took 4 cases of books, they offered me $1 for all, hey, it wasn't worth the time and gas to drag them there. Even if Half Price books did buy some of my books, I would still have leftovers, still have to dispose of them somehow, not worth blowing off half a day running them around for a few measley bucks.

So Tuesday is a big day with trash and goodwill pickup. Meantime I' still sorthing, and in general making a big mess of everything!

Old 06-13-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Okay, I'm done. The movers come tomorrow. Everything is packed except the sheets on the beds and towels for showers tomorrow.

We were supposed to be at the title company at 3:00 p.m. to sign our part of the papers, even though the official closing date is Monday. Completely blew it off - was deep into cleaning the refrigerator when my realtor called at 3:15 wondering where we were. Fortunately it's only about a mile from my house.

Good luck with your garage sale, MaryleeII.

Hope your move went well. I always keep out an old set of towels and sheets for the last night, then throw them away, who wants to pack used bed linens & towels yeech! and I assume your w/d have been packed up already. Actually, I'm keeping an air mattress for the last night, just wake up, pop a pin in it and throw in the trash. That way I can get my bed, mattress, etc, packed and shipped on ahead!

Old 06-14-2010, 07:25 AM

6,764 posts, read 19,769,376 times
Mary,
Good to hear your sale went well! Good luck moving.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:25 PM

4,054 posts, read 7,333,970 times
Our loading Friday went very well in spite of 95 degree heat. It was a very long day and we didn't leave the house until 6:45 p.m. We then had to drive 1.5 hours to where we had motel reservations (by the time I realized that was really too far to drive, it was too late to cancel!) We looked like two whipped dogs when we got there.

We spent today getting drivers licenses and registering our cars - at first didn't have a lien release on one of our cars - thank goodness I found it in a box we brought in the car. Our furniture will be delivered tomorrow. Looks like the weather is going to be great. It's a very odd feeling knowing that EVERYTHING you own is in the hands of a stranger.

It is so good to "be home" and even if we are just in an apartment til we find a house we like, life is GOOD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues