Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2010, 11:43 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times

Advertisements

I started this thread about 6 months ago, when we decided to move. Its taken about that long to do it, but we did. I had a few setbacks along the way, mainly a spinal injury and surgery that delayed us. I was appalled at how much crap we had, and still do. I've learned one thing--live light, you never know what life may hand you, and you may need to move and not have the resources. As I found out, stuff happens, like my back injury.

I saw this happen to my parents. On another thread, about Detroit, I talked about how my parents lived in the same house 30+ years, then when they had to move they simply couldn't, it was beyond them. They had too much stuff, and no resources to help, ie money, friends, etc. Also, they tried to clear out 30 years of stuff in a few weeks. Basically they were forced out of their home due to the high crime rate, it became so dangerous they had to literally flee with a few posessions. They went back to reclaim their posessions, but never recovered from the "forced exile". Their health had deteriorated, and they weren't able to cope with it all.

I saw the handwriting on the wall and decided to make the move now while I'm still able. We almost didn't make it, I developed another, as of yet undiagnosed health problem the week before we moved. Its a muscular weakness, I barely made it out of there, but we made it! Now to get rid of remaining crap so we are mobile. That's the key, always remain mobile, don't get buried alive in stuff!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 06:13 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,749,253 times
A good message to take to heart, Marylee. If we (and by we, I mean my fiance) didn't have so much stuff, this move would be much easier than it is. As it is now, between house renovations, work, weeding through massive amounts of stuff, and planning for today's huge garage sale, I despair of making our move-out date of August 7th.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:21 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,371,787 times
I donated $250 worth of virtually new books to the library book sale. It felt so good to lighten up and also to help the library I love. 5 more boxes of books in the basement. I hope I can donate a bunch of those also. Less weight = less money spent on moving.

Old 07-31-2010, 02:58 PM

124 posts, read 372,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Or here's something you can do with trophies---do they have a name plate? Remove the plate, put it in an album along with a picture and description, then donate the trophy to Goodwill, they do find uses for them.
I only have one, (the other bulky stuff is from my years at camp.) I'll take the name plate off and then donate it, Thanks for the idea Marylee!

Old 07-31-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
I donated $250 worth of virtually new books to the library book sale. It felt so good to lighten up and also to help the library I love. 5 more boxes of books in the basement. I hope I can donate a bunch of those also. Less weight = less money spent on moving.
Sorry for the double post, but if you've got nearly new books, there are some websites where you can type the ISBN number (the number by the barcode) and they search for comapnies buying books. You might be able to sell them that way. The books might not go for very much, but you caould use the money to help pay for the move.

Just type in "sell books online" into any search engine and a whole bunch of sites will come up.

Old 07-31-2010, 03:04 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
A good message to take to heart, Marylee. If we (and by we, I mean my fiance) didn't have so much stuff, this move would be much easier than it is. As it is now, between house renovations, work, weeding through massive amounts of stuff, and planning for today's huge garage sale, I despair of making our move-out date of August 7th.

If you can't sell it, ditch it! Seriously, I mean it, give it to Goodwill, trash it, whatever you need to do to lighten the load. Otherwise you will have to deal with it on the other end, and that can be costly and time-consuming when you're trying to start a new life.

If it has sentimental value, take a picutre, or keep one of a collection, get rid of the rest. Just do whatever it takes to get rid of the crap! Believe me, regardless of what you do, you will still have way too much on the other end.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:10 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,371,787 times
Default Books

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvwriting View Post
Sorry for the double post, but if you've got nearly new books, there are some websites where you can type the ISBN number (the number by the barcode) and they search for comapnies buying books. You might be able to sell them that way. The books might not go for very much, but you caould use the money to help pay for the move.

Just type in "sell books online" into any search engine and a whole bunch of sites will come up.
Good idea! These were mostly best sellers and probably would have gone for a decent amount! I'll check that out next time.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:34 PM

448 posts, read 851,595 times
I have slowly giving things away. Made lists of things I want to take and things I will leave. I spent a good few hours reading these boards on the difference between U-Haul and Penske (Penske) seems to be the winner and debating if I should let someone move all my stuff and either drive or fly and have my car with the rest of the stuff. Decisions, decisions.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:52 PM

I'm having a garage sale on Saturday and I'll be trying to get rid of stuff on Craigslist this week too.

Old 08-08-2010, 03:27 PM

448 posts, read 851,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvwriting View Post
I'm having a garage sale on Saturday and I'll be trying to get rid of stuff on Craigslist this week too.
I noticed your status. Congratulations on the job. Does that mean you are not moving?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues