U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-10-2010, 10:43 AM
 
Location: Upper Midwest
1,877 posts, read 3,712,348 times
Reputation: 1884

Advertisements

Went up to the storage unit with some boxes and repacked some stuff. Let's just say it'll be considerably easier moving the stuff out than it was moving it in. lol The reason I repacked it was because I stuffed a lot of things into a few boxes, resulting in each box being so heavy it needed two people to carry it. Yeah... I'm not too experienced in moving. That's a big lesson I learned though. Make each box light enough for one person to carry. It's better to have 4 light boxes of books than two heavy ones.

Chucked some more stuff into the garbage. I've been in between residences for a few months with most of my stuff in storage. Nothing like that to teach you what you really need and what you don't. I know now I could never be a hoarder. I hate stuff. This experience has turned me into a minimalist. I love that feeling of clearing out space. I know I'll be doing that regularly in the future. Just going through my drawers and closets every few months to make sure stuff isn't accumulating.

Annnnd I reserved the U-Haul. One of the biggest steps is now out of the way...

It's a good morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-16-2010, 11:48 PM
 
9,661 posts, read 15,793,370 times
Reputation: 15987
I don't know where to put this, so this seems as good a place as any.

I was quite meticilous about throwing away old perscription bottles. I soaked the labels off first. Just look at them, there's a ton of information about you, including your name and address, your doctor's name, along with the rx and how many refills, etc.

apparently I didn't scrub one label. I got a call from the pharmacy where we used to live, someone had called in a renewal for a rx I had for Vicodin, there were refills left on it. I had back surgery in March and was perscribed it, never refilled it.

Well, the pharmacy called to question it because they knew I was moving, I had already transferred all my rx there to the new location. They thought it a bit funny I was calling in a perscription when I had already moved (they called on my cell phone number, which didn't change). I never called that in, but apparently someone did.

I guess someone thought they could call in a refill, then just go in and claim they were getting it for me. We just cancelled the rx, I don't want any more, and don't want the rx open.

Be especially careful with anything medical, including old insurance cards, EOB (explanation of benefits), old bills, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2010, 01:34 AM
 
Location: Upper Midwest
1,877 posts, read 3,712,348 times
Reputation: 1884
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I don't know where to put this, so this seems as good a place as any.

I was quite meticilous about throwing away old perscription bottles. I soaked the labels off first. Just look at them, there's a ton of information about you, including your name and address, your doctor's name, along with the rx and how many refills, etc.

apparently I didn't scrub one label. I got a call from the pharmacy where we used to live, someone had called in a renewal for a rx I had for Vicodin, there were refills left on it. I had back surgery in March and was perscribed it, never refilled it.

Well, the pharmacy called to question it because they knew I was moving, I had already transferred all my rx there to the new location. They thought it a bit funny I was calling in a perscription when I had already moved (they called on my cell phone number, which didn't change). I never called that in, but apparently someone did.

I guess someone thought they could call in a refill, then just go in and claim they were getting it for me. We just cancelled the rx, I don't want any more, and don't want the rx open.

Be especially careful with anything medical, including old insurance cards, EOB (explanation of benefits), old bills, etc.
Yep, I have a little paper shredder. I shred everything. Even addresses on envelopes I get in the mail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2010, 09:38 PM
 
Location: Central Fl
2,903 posts, read 10,912,747 times
Reputation: 2859
What did I do today to get ready for the big move?

Well, I visited with a friend who is moving soon.......she is doing everything wrong.......and I realized that compared to their gameplan, (or lack of it), we are doing awesome!

It felt good. Stay the course, do the plan. Stay motivated and do something towards it daily.

Frank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2010, 10:26 PM
 
9,661 posts, read 15,793,370 times
Reputation: 15987
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
What did I do today to get ready for the big move?

Well, I visited with a friend who is moving soon.......she is doing everything wrong.......and I realized that compared to their gameplan, (or lack of it), we are doing awesome!

It felt good. Stay the course, do the plan. Stay motivated and do something towards it daily.

Frank

What was she doing wrong?

I still feel I botched the move. After all that, and it was a fiasco! Stuff boxed up I didn't even want, not labeled, sitting here in my new home exactly where I didn't want to be---surrounded by worthless crap!

where would I be if I hadn't done all I did? problem is, I developed health problems the last two weeks and barely made it at any rate. shows the value of hanging loose,I almost got trapped by clutter,escaped by an inch!


My advice to people---don't get bogged down in stuff! and no, I'm by no means a hoarder, just bogged down with OPC -- other people's crap! I had several relatives die, their stuff got abosrbed by other relatives, etc, finally, when my mother died, I inherited her stuff, which included OPC! Its taken me years to clear out the OPC and seems I still have it.

I want what I want while I still have enough years to enjoy it---a peaceful, stressfree, uncluttered environment. I doubt that will ever happen!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2010, 04:15 PM
 
450 posts, read 877,473 times
Reputation: 482
Default One Person Going Ahead

In our family, we have one person going on ahead by 6-8 weeks or so. We decided to get every old (and I mean old; 3 suitcases for $50 back in the day) suitcase out, pack that person's belongings...one for winter clothing, one for underclothing, one for needed files/books, etc. Once that was done, we could keep going on boxing the rest and not worry that the person who heads out first is missing needed items.

I completely agree with not getting bogged down with "stuff". What you are taking...get boxes, label all corners of the outside so no matter which way it is turned you know what it is and really take the final look. We have been doing this for about a year (messed with the attic for 3 months - very half-hearted for more than half of that year time period)...we are still purging. We are using expensive boxes made for china for the china and other items we want secure. The rest are just normal sized boxes. We kept them medium sized as then they are easy to carry (we learned that from the first move).

We are almost done (with the kitchen as the exception) and we are moving 11 years of "house". I personally think it can be done and done well...just be as ruthless as possible with the "stuff".

One more thing...if you get to the point that paperwork is overwhelming and you need to get the packing done....use a box or two labeled "BB" - that stands for 2B aka to be gone through. I am afraid to label anything "personal papers" or anything along that order. This way I am hoping the movers will think I mean BR for bed or bathroom and I won't have anyone tempted.

Good luck to us all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2010, 09:57 PM
 
124 posts, read 342,586 times
Reputation: 85
Today I started listing things on Facebook Market Place. I actually got more interest then when I posted it on Craigslist. Nothing has sold yet, but I'm still listing stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2010, 06:25 AM
 
Location: Central Fl
2,903 posts, read 10,912,747 times
Reputation: 2859
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
What was she doing wrong?
Well, I do not want to get specific, but basically, first, spouses need to get on the same page. Discuss and agree on the criteria of what to keep and what to get rid of. It is not fair for one spouse to get rid of almost everything while the other spouse wants to keep stuff.

It makes little sense to pay over $700 to move a $2000 rusty car. They sell cars everywhere. Actually, when you factor the high cost of moving stuff, in the end there is very little that is worth moving. Of course, some stuff is worth it.....things that mean a lot to you, etc.

I am amazed at what some folks think they "MUST" keep because it has been in the family......or Aunt Martha died and we got it now......folks, Aunt Martha is DEAD...she does not care what you do with it.

I know some people have some high end nice stuff, and would want to move it. But when I see folks moving from a house 1500 miles to share an apartment, thinking about using 3 storage containers...one to that apt and TWO in storage, when the value of the contents is small and when the budget clearly doe not cover high storage fees....I shutter.

Before moving anything ask yourself;

1) Will we use it? Have we used it? Will we need it at the new place?

2) Is there room for it?

3) If we got rid of it, (and needed it), what would the replacement cost be?

4) Is the cost of moving it higher then the replacement cost?

5) Will it "fit" the new location? (Different regions have different lifestyles)

For instance here are a few things I'm talking about.

1) 10 year old sofa. How much useful life is left in it? will the colors match? Considering the size, age, etc.....I could replace it cheaper then paying to move it.

2) 5 year old computer. What is it worth? Nothing. Transfer important stuff onto a portable back up drive that you SHOULD have anyway, and dump it. You deserve a new computer.

3) TV's- the big "not flat screen" ones are dinosaurs. They are not worth much now, They are big, heavy, delicate. NOT good candidates for a move.

4) Cheap particle board furniture. Bulky. Heavy. Low cost to buy- high cost to move.

5) Lawn mowers, snowblowers, etc. Heavy. Gas smell. Good used ones can be found on Craigslist, etc. Sell and rebuy.

Now I know what you are thinking. I can't afford to "rebuy". Well, if you sell right, you can buy right, and think of the hundreds, if not thousands you will SAVE in moving costs.

Bottom line- at least 50% of the stuff most folks move is JUNK- not worth the cost, etc of moving. So you move all this JUNK, then get depressed when your new place is instantly overfilled with old JUNK. Get rid of it first. You would be amazed at what the gov't gives you as a deduction if you donate it.

I've been getting rid of tons of stuff, and our move is about a year away. My garage and basement looks awesome. I cannot describe the wonderful feeling that is.......and my moving costs will be low, easy, stress free on both ends of the move.

Frank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2010, 12:02 PM
 
9,661 posts, read 15,793,370 times
Reputation: 15987
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
Well, I do not want to get specific, but basically, first, spouses need to get on the same page. Discuss and agree on the criteria of what to keep and what to get rid of. It is not fair for one spouse to get rid of almost everything while the other spouse wants to keep stuff.

It makes little sense to pay over $700 to move a $2000 rusty car. They sell cars everywhere. Actually, when you factor the high cost of moving stuff, in the end there is very little that is worth moving. Of course, some stuff is worth it.....things that mean a lot to you, etc.

I am amazed at what some folks think they "MUST" keep because it has been in the family......or Aunt Martha died and we got it now......folks, Aunt Martha is DEAD...she does not care what you do with it.

I know some people have some high end nice stuff, and would want to move it. But when I see folks moving from a house 1500 miles to share an apartment, thinking about using 3 storage containers...one to that apt and TWO in storage, when the value of the contents is small and when the budget clearly doe not cover high storage fees....I shutter.

Before moving anything ask yourself;

1) Will we use it? Have we used it? Will we need it at the new place?

2) Is there room for it?

3) If we got rid of it, (and needed it), what would the replacement cost be?

4) Is the cost of moving it higher then the replacement cost?

5) Will it "fit" the new location? (Different regions have different lifestyles)

For instance here are a few things I'm talking about.

1) 10 year old sofa. How much useful life is left in it? will the colors match? Considering the size, age, etc.....I could replace it cheaper then paying to move it.

2) 5 year old computer. What is it worth? Nothing. Transfer important stuff onto a portable back up drive that you SHOULD have anyway, and dump it. You deserve a new computer.

3) TV's- the big "not flat screen" ones are dinosaurs. They are not worth much now, They are big, heavy, delicate. NOT good candidates for a move.

4) Cheap particle board furniture. Bulky. Heavy. Low cost to buy- high cost to move.

5) Lawn mowers, snowblowers, etc. Heavy. Gas smell. Good used ones can be found on Craigslist, etc. Sell and rebuy.

Now I know what you are thinking. I can't afford to "rebuy". Well, if you sell right, you can buy right, and think of the hundreds, if not thousands you will SAVE in moving costs.

Bottom line- at least 50% of the stuff most folks move is JUNK- not worth the cost, etc of moving. So you move all this JUNK, then get depressed when your new place is instantly overfilled with old JUNK. Get rid of it first. You would be amazed at what the gov't gives you as a deduction if you donate it.

I've been getting rid of tons of stuff, and our move is about a year away. My garage and basement looks awesome. I cannot describe the wonderful feeling that is.......and my moving costs will be low, easy, stress free on both ends of the move.

Frank
funny, I did all of the above, still have a place overflowing with junk!

My point is, you can't get rid of too much. The stuff we end up keeping is usually unecessary, anyways.

I started sorting stuff about 6 months prior to the move, and still feel I brought unecessary itesm. However, you have to actually arrive at your new place to see how unecessary some things are. Now that I'm here, biggest thing is NOT to let the junk pile up. don't find a spot to store it, then a year later its there again.My goai was everyday we'd go through a box, well, now that's slowed to about one box a week, but still, we're making progress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2010, 12:26 PM
 
450 posts, read 877,473 times
Reputation: 482
Before moving anything ask yourself;

1) Will we use it? Have we used it? Will we need it at the new place?
2) Is there room for it?
3) If we got rid of it, (and needed it), what would the replacement cost be?
4) Is the cost of moving it higher then the replacement cost?
5) Will it "fit" the new location? (Different regions have different lifestyles)

For instance here are a few things I'm talking about.

1) 10 year old sofa. How much useful life is left in it? will the colors match? Considering the size, age, etc.....I could replace it cheaper then paying to move it.
2) 5 year old computer. What is it worth? Nothing. Transfer important stuff onto a portable back up drive that you SHOULD have anyway, and dump it. You deserve a new computer.
3) TV's- the big "not flat screen" ones are dinosaurs. They are not worth much now, They are big, heavy, delicate. NOT good candidates for a move.
4) Cheap particle board furniture. Bulky. Heavy. Low cost to buy- high cost to move.
5) Lawn mowers, snowblowers, etc. Heavy. Gas smell. Good used ones can be found on Craigslist, etc. Sell and rebuy.

Now I know what you are thinking. I can't afford to "rebuy". Well, if you sell right, you can buy right, and think of the hundreds, if not thousands you will SAVE in moving costs.

Bottom line- at least 50% of the stuff most folks move is JUNK- not worth the cost, etc of moving. So you move all this JUNK, then get depressed when your new place is instantly overfilled with old JUNK. Get rid of it first. You would be amazed at what the gov't gives you as a deduction if you donate it.

I've been getting rid of tons of stuff, and our move is about a year away. My garage and basement looks awesome. I cannot describe the wonderful feeling that is.......and my moving costs will be low, easy, stress free on both ends of the move.

Frank[/quote]



Wow!! Well said. We have taken about a dozen trips to the dump here with about two to three more to go. It costs $10 a pop...but much better than wondering where to put it when we arrive, paying storage fees while we make up our mind, and not to mention as you said, the cost of moving it to begin with.

I'll be honest, I do have my "BB" boxes (two of them) and the rest are needed items. We'll have a rummage sale in about a month and donate what does not sell. Everything else, minus the kitchen at this time, is boxed and/or in the luggage I mentioned. Our move (or should I say unpacking) here was a nightmare...we learned. Wish I would have had that advice 11 years ago!!! Glad at least that we're thinking ahead this time. Nothing, including our packing strategy, is perfect....but it is much better than 1999!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:04 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top