U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2011, 03:25 PM

9,693 posts, read 15,888,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
I've started an area to store stuff for a yard sale this spring. It's already getting a lot of things--with more to go. For some reason, the idea of selling it and getting a little cash is more motivating to part with border-line keep/dispose items than donating.

Hey, money is always a motivator!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 12:58 PM

303 posts, read 1,421,634 times
I am moving the first week of February, Colorado to Maryland. My job offer just came a few days ago, so I need to get everything together quickly Today I took the car for a tune-up before the long drive, unsuccessfully tried to buy an insurance rider for my stuff while moving, gave notice to my property manager, and am now going through all of the closets and making trash/donate/give to friends piles. I have been culling my stuff for a few months in anticipation of a move, so it is not too difficult a task.

This week I am going to start selling some of my furniture on craigslist. I already have an apartment lined up and a reservation for ABF relocubes, but I may have to change that and hire loaders for a truck if I cannot find a place to have the relocubes delivered.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:02 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,145,229 times
Today my realtor wanted to let another realtor show my house with no notice, for the first time. I was at a friend's house across town when he called my cell phone to ask. Luckily I had made the bed, emptied the trash, shined the granite, and so on, before leaving. I told him, "Sure!"

So today I was the Perfect Seller. Hopefully my house will sell soon. Other than that, I think I'm about as ready as I can be.

Also today I worked out at the gym. It might help to be a little stronger when it comes time to move.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:25 AM

1,524 posts, read 3,462,261 times
My husband found out yesterday that his company is shutting down effective March 1st. He'll be eligible for unemployment, so we are moving a lot earlier than we thought. I went ahead and reserved a new move through ABF for March 18th and it was actually $50 less. I just need to cancel the old move once I get to work. We'll be driving out there the following week.

It's making my head spin a little that I thought we had more time to do all of this and now in less than two months, we'll be loading up the cube and heading out. So much to do. I have a checklist, but now I have to ramp everything up.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:22 AM

OK, rescheduled the ReloCube, dropped my courses for spring, reserved a U-Haul. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:11 PM

9,693 posts, read 15,888,099 times
Another little tip for those about to move within the next 3 montsh or so---

stop buying stuff in quantity, like at costco, Sam's, etc. even though its a bargain per unit, you wind up with stuff you can't consume before moving. I always end up throwing stuff away, like opened toothpaste, shampoo, cleaning products, etc. it really piles up fast.

Our last house I simply left behind a ton of cleaning products. I refuse to pack it, open or not, its not worth the risk of an accidental spill, what a complete mess that can make. I figure I left the new occupants $$$ of cleaning products, they probably won't have to buy any for at least a year.

Trust me, those products take forever to consume, sometimes you're better off buying one at a time, on sale, with coupons, use it, then buy more, you save in the long run! Besides, who wants to pay a moving company to send Comet, Windex, etc!

Old 02-28-2011, 04:50 AM

Another month is almost over. Time seems to be flying by and dragging at the same time. We've got a lot accomplished this past month though:

*Have the route planned out.
*Booked all the hotels along the way.
*Gone through most of our stuff in storage and know what goes on the cube, in the car, or up for sale.
*Rebudgeted for higher gas prices.
*Renewed our road club and Costco memberships
*Updated our cover letters, resumes, and reference lists.
*Created a list of employers to apply to immediately and registered/updated info with job search sites.
*Have local phone numbers and local address.
*Found preschool programs in our target area we're interested in.
*Made a list of places to volunteer at to meet new people.

Today we have withdraw our daughter from her preschool and she'll drop to part-time daycare. We'll save some cash this way.

This week, I have to make the final arrangements for where we are living the first two months. That will be a huge load off. I know exactly where I want us to stay, but couldn't book until 30 days out. I would have done it long before now if I could have. My husband is still plugging away at eBay and Craigslist, but there is still so much to sell. Should have started this sooner. Oh well.

Next week, I'll have to give my job the old two weeks notice. Last day is March 24th. Eek! This job isn't some full-time w/fantastic benefits dream job that I'm giving up to pursue some crackpot idea of moving to another state. No, part-time, no benefits. It is OK part-time job, but I never expected to have to work there as long as I did. I've spent the last 2 years trying to find full-time work with no success, but everyone in their brother has offered me part-time w/few or no benefits. Good thing I have learned to live on part-time wages, because that is all I expect to find anymore. The business my husband worked for just shut down, so he'll file for unemployment in April. Hopefully we won't really need it, but it is there if we do.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:52 AM

766 posts, read 1,160,403 times
Great thread!!!! Back in 2005 I inherited my Grandmother's 1 bdrm apt AND I inherited from my 70 yr old Mother. Mother was a Dr. Phil Show HOARDER, and lucky me inherited the WHOLE MESS!!!! I've been in a Sort, Sift, Pitch, Purge mode since 2005. It gets overwhelming at times. Sometimes I just plum hit "burn out" trying to deal with everything.

Then.... a yr ago, I made the pain stalking decision it's time to move my life forward. Time to relocate to a different state. Time to "start over". That was the motivator to get me busy getting rid of stuff.

Where am I at now??? Getting close!!!! YAHOO!!!! I've got a few minor things left that I'm struggling to sell on Craigslist. Got 4 shipping pallets in the basement and I've got my "keeper" stuff already packed and stacked on the 4 shipping pallets in the basement. The only rooms that are currently being used are the 2 bedroom, bathroom and Kitchen. Everything is PACKED!!!

Now I'm trying to get the house ready for sale. I went from Sort, Sift, Pitch, Purge, Pack.... to..... Scrub, Patch, Prime and Paint. UGH!!!!

Which rooms are ready for "Showing"? Front Foyer, Dining Room, Kitchen, 2nd Bedroom, Bathroom, Office and Family Room.

Now I need to do the Living Room and My bedroom. Still haven't touched the basement. OH UGH!!!

Thought I could have house ready for Show by March 1st. Don't think I'm going to make that deadline, but I'm getting close.

And I got the 2 stall garage emptied out last September.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:28 AM

It is March! Sometimes, I thought this month would never get here.

Sending out some emails today to get things arranged. I am making a list of road trip meals and a shopping list. We'll be out on the road for 5 days and we'd like to eat out only one meal a day, if we can work it. This site had some good tips. I would have never thought of the eggs:

http://www.menus4moms.com/articles/p...road_trips.php

Old 03-01-2011, 02:40 PM

510 posts, read 794,081 times
This thread is exactly what I needed today! We are relocating to Arizona from California. 23 days and counting until we load the truck!

Today I packed 4 boxes, threw out some junk, added to the donate pile, found a babysitter for my 1 1/2 year old grandson while we load the truck and rented a Penske truck to move.

I also took a nice walk thanks to another poster's suggestion!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues