U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2011, 04:47 PM

26,850 posts, read 5,742,047 times

Advertisements

Loaded boxes for donation to charity. I still have so much to do I cannot get excited yet about the move. But it feels good getting rid of long-collected STUFF. I am divorced and moving to a new city by myself....so far it feels very empowering. Just hope I feel the same once I get settled there!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 10:02 AM

6,867 posts, read 6,945,906 times
Default Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Loaded boxes for donation to charity. I still have so much to do I cannot get excited yet about the move. But it feels good getting rid of long-collected STUFF. I am divorced and moving to a new city by myself....so far it feels very empowering. Just hope I feel the same once I get settled there!!!
Hope all goes well for you and your new location is wonderful!

Old 03-03-2011, 09:30 AM

507 posts, read 790,633 times
Default 21 days and counting until the big move!

Well since I did nothing yesterday, I am getting an early start today. Going through some "stuff" lol. Pack, donate or trash and only touch it once. Wish me luck haha.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:10 PM

1,524 posts, read 3,451,065 times
Today, I finished getting everything arranged for where we are going to live for at least the first two months while we get settled. We are good to go! It is such a relief to have that out of the way. Now to finish getting rid of all this stuff.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:46 PM

3,764 posts, read 7,450,063 times
Thanks to Mike, I found freecycle.com & have been getting rid of stuff thru that network.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:30 AM

1,524 posts, read 3,451,065 times
I just activated my new VM phone with a new area code. Now I have to deactivate my old BB and have the MEID freed to sell it. I also printed out all of my hotel confirmations along the way and put them in my travel binder.

Old 03-05-2011, 01:03 PM

507 posts, read 790,633 times
Cleaned out the storage closet today, repacked some items, donated some and threw some away! Going through business/office files and now have 2 boxes instead of four! Succesful day but I am tired and it is just now noon....

Old 03-06-2011, 08:09 AM

6,867 posts, read 6,945,906 times
Default Shred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palenaka View Post
Cleaned out the storage closet today, repacked some items, donated some and threw some away! Going through business/office files and now have 2 boxes instead of four! Succesful day but I am tired and it is just now noon....
Remember to shred anything that would give your identity away on important docs.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:06 AM

47 posts, read 111,542 times
Default I'm moving to a townhouse on 04/16

so I started cleaning out my master bedroom/office today. I'm a teacher so it's amazing how much stuff I've collected over the last 3 years and never looked at So 3 boxes packed and 2 trips to the garbage and I feel semi-successful. We really don't have much (and it'll really look like it in our much bigger house) so it shouldn't take long to go through the whole apartment....now my DS16 room is a whole nother story

Old 03-06-2011, 01:57 PM

9,662 posts, read 15,796,249 times
We might be moving in the next year or so, no definite plans yet.
However, I'm slowly taking inventory of my stuff. I had a lot of stuff packed away in boxes from previos moves, with generic labels, such as "fragile glassware'.

Well, that doesn't tell me much. All those boxes are in the garage. I've been going through them, one by one, and making a list of exactly what's in each box, such ar 8 water goblets, 4 wine glasses, etc. Its a tedious process, I also take picutres of each item. then, everything is re wrapped, boxed, and I keep a master list of the items.In the process I slowly am letting go of some items. But some things you don't want to get rid of just yet.

I find I keep some items because they are memory catchers. I find it helps to take a picture of the item, make a scrapbook of sorts, then discard the item however is most appropriate. Some things are just goodwill donations, some I am trying to sell on Ebay. I just don't want to have to haul so much stuff the next move, and that type of sorting is mentally draining, it takes more time than you think.

Also, I've been going through old picture albums and sorting them. Sadly, some picutres I have no idea who they are anymore. I've been shredding some old pictures, then rearranging the ones I want to keep. I've been scanning the ones I keep, and putting them in a nicer album, the kind with the acid-free paper for long term storage, sometimes along with an explanation of what they are.

I guess you could call it a Reader's Digest version of my stuff. I just don't want the kids to come along after I'm gone and think things were important when they were just junk I never had time to sort through!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues