Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2012, 08:52 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,809,283 times

Advertisements

Such a groovy thread.

I already moved. Somebody update it.
Lets not let this puppy die.

Who's next?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 09:16 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,173,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
Such a groovy thread.

I already moved. Somebody update it.
Lets not let this puppy die.

Who's next?
Congrats on your move I'm actually unpacking....slowly

I'm in my new place, but I'm already wondering how long before the next move

Old 06-15-2012, 05:34 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times
Packing. Closing on our house in Pittsburgh on June 25th, driving back to NY to close on this house on June 28th. Waiting for our third pod to be dropped off today so that we can fill it.

Having a farewell party tomorrow for about 80 people. Can you say stressed.

Looking forward to a new life.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:45 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Good thread! Yesterday I designated my mom's bills to be paid via the bank. I won't be able to pay them by check this month, because I will be on the road. I packed her records, in with ours, in a file we are keeping in a piece of luggage. We are carrying our insurance, birth certificates, will and other pertinent records with us on our cross country trek.

We planned our route west.

I scheduled the housecleaners to give us 2 hours next week on the day we hand over the keys.

I firmed up the pickup by a charity store for the furniture and belongings we are donating.

I started 3 boxes of the final kitchen clearout. They are currently unsealed, but I hope to seal two of them today.

I had DH send boxes of housewares to be held for use pending our arrival in Vancouver, WA.

I made reservations for us for 2 nights at a local motel because we won't have a bed after the it is moved out.

More tasks to do today.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:29 PM

Yesterday we took everything in our pantry that had not been opened or was not past its consumption date to a local food pantry. We cleared everything out of our safe deposit box as well. I packed a few more miscellaneous items in some unsealed boxes. We took down some pottery from a high shelf and I rinsed everything off, and dried them, and put them on our empty bookshelves waiting for the movers to pack them.

Today I threw out opened pantry goods, and put some of the containers in recycling. I helped DH take our bed apart. The last day we are to sleep in our house is to be Tuesday night. I have done laundry. The last laundry I can do will be tomorrow night. Tuesday, the washing machine will be unhooked and readied for loading on Wednesday.

I cleaned out my makeup drawer, and rounded up my personal care products, most of which I need to carry with me. I packed a few other products, and the bathrooms are now mostly packed up.

Tomorrow we close and later our fridge is being hauled off. We found someone who needs one, and we are happy to give it to her. But I need to clear what little is in there out before her brother comes to pick it up. We are also going to have the buyer do a quick walk through. So time is growing short. All the packing I've done in the last six weeks or so has payed off. We are going to be rushed at the last minute, I think, but I hope it will be controlled chaos, not utter madness.

Surely there is someone else getting ready for a more? What have you accomplished in the last couple of days?

Old 06-18-2012, 01:36 AM

448 posts, read 851,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Yesterday we took everything in our pantry that had not been opened or was not past its consumption date to a local food pantry. We cleared everything out of our safe deposit box as well. I packed a few more miscellaneous items in some unsealed boxes. We took down some pottery from a high shelf and I rinsed everything off, and dried them, and put them on our empty bookshelves waiting for the movers to pack them.

Today I threw out opened pantry goods, and put some of the containers in recycling. I helped DH take our bed apart. The last day we are to sleep in our house is to be Tuesday night. I have done laundry. The last laundry I can do will be tomorrow night. Tuesday, the washing machine will be unhooked and readied for loading on Wednesday.

I cleaned out my makeup drawer, and rounded up my personal care products, most of which I need to carry with me. I packed a few other products, and the bathrooms are now mostly packed up.

Tomorrow we close and later our fridge is being hauled off. We found someone who needs one, and we are happy to give it to her. But I need to clear what little is in there out before her brother comes to pick it up. We are also going to have the buyer do a quick walk through. So time is growing short. All the packing I've done in the last six weeks or so has payed off. We are going to be rushed at the last minute, I think, but I hope it will be controlled chaos, not utter madness.

Surely there is someone else getting ready for a more? What have you accomplished in the last couple of days?
The past few days I donated or gave away most of the furniture I had in the apartment. I started shampooing some of the rugs since we live in an apartment. Today or I guess yesterday, I spent the day with some longtime friends, saying good byes and just having some good company.

Today I have Salvation Army coming to pick up some items. I will also start packing up some of the dry goods in the pantry but not seal the box since we don't leave until Saturday. I also plan on packing up my closet of all the clothes that I will not be wearing this week, as well as my son's. Also will change my insurance policy on the cars as well as the credit cards. I already changed my mailing address.

Tuesday, I have someone picking up my love seat and on Thursday he will be taking the rest of the living room set. I will pack up the rest of the kitchen items minus a couple of pans. I will also clean out the oven.
I will also do more packing on closets.

Wednesday, I will

Old 06-18-2012, 12:28 PM

Today we had a delivery of the last of the third pod. It needs to be more or less filled by friday, and then next thursday we close on the house we are selling. We close on the house we are buying on Monday.

Today I had my last visit with my doctor, my sons had their physicals for school (again last time with their doctor). Tonight we will start filling the pod with dressers, cabinets and anything we do not need.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:43 PM

We closed today. Our buyer did a walk through. We had someone come out to get our fridge. It is going to a friend who needs a fridge.

Tonight before bed I need to seal up some boxes. Packers come tomorrow possibly as early as 8 am.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
We closed today. Our buyer did a walk through. We had someone come out to get our fridge. It is going to a friend who needs a fridge.

Tonight before bed I need to seal up some boxes. Packers come tomorrow possibly as early as 8 am.
Congrats. well done.

Packers ; thats what we call our tweens!!

Old 06-18-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Congrats. well done.

Packers ; thats what we call our tweens!!
DH and I packed everything except breakables and small electrics, and the 2 TVs. I've been packing for about 6 weeks--maybe more.

Along with the fridge we sent along some butter and some flour which I had kept in my freezer.

Tomorrow we are giving away our printer, after the packers have left. One more night in our house, then two nights in a motel. I am about to say goodbye to my hometown, the place where I've always lived. It will be an interesting time for both DH and me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues