U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2012, 08:50 PM

21,868 posts, read 14,377,315 times

Advertisements

It's been a busy day. The packers came and they worked hard all day. I believe they worked overtime, and so I expect larger bill than we expected. But it's hard to fault them for sheer continuous motion. I watched them pack some stuff, and I was pleased with everything. They made sure the items I value were noted as high value, and packed accordingly.

While packers were busy downstairs I repacked and took out some clothing items, which I'll receive later at my new home. It's been hard to decide what I need for the next 3 or 4 months as we look for permanent housing. We are taking several suitcases on our car trip west, and we've mailed boxes ahead so we won't have to buy so much to keep house in a temporary place.

After the loaders come,I'll post more specifically about our movers.

I closed the kitchen last night, and now we are severely limited for meals. I really could have planned this part of the last days better.

For those of you who are packing for moves next week or next month, I recommend spending time thinking and planning now.

Good luck to everyone doing this , or starting on this adventure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 09:09 PM

47 posts, read 79,573 times
I am moving cross country one week from today. I got nothing done today because a friend asked me to spend the day with her at her farm. I did but it made me very anxious. Tomorrow a handyman is coming to do the repairs on the inspectors list before I can close on my house. I will make the calls to arrange to have my utilities and cable turned off, call my insurance company, cancel the paper. I have only a few boxes of things left to pack. Then they are going to be shipped via a you pack, we ship type arrangement.
The other problem that is making me anxious is my car. I took it in on Monday to have work done so it will be in good shape for the cross country trip. They didn't have the parts for some of the repairs so I will have to take it back when the parts come in, assuming they come in in time.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:06 PM

448 posts, read 744,409 times
I have to say that we are leaving Saturday and I am severely stressed. Sunday it seemed like I was ahead of the game, and now I feel that I will never get it done in time. It seems that I still have so much left. I think once I get rid of the furniture, it won't seem so much. Tomorrow, the furniture will be gone. I am donating the couch, loveseat, end tables, and my son's dresser to a guy who just moved into the apartment below me with nothing from Oklahoma. I am stressed that things won't fit and then I have to wonder what I truly need and what I need to take with me. I keep throwing out and donating but just doesn't seem like enough. I can not wait until my husband flies in Thursday to help.

Old 06-20-2012, 04:37 AM

5,002 posts, read 4,254,777 times
Last night we did make a good dent in packing the pod. My dh who is great, has suffered with this move and was in a frozen mode until I maade him aware of it last night. So we emptied the shed, packed the patio furniture.

I am the one panicing as I think it will never be done. Today I need to order a 4th pod, call the settlement company to see what checks I need for the new house.

Its my kids last day at school today. So it will be sad. But a good type of sad.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:13 AM

15 posts, read 18,092 times
I will put all my important luggage. As said above, kitchen items are most important.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:33 PM

Today the loaders came and they worked hard. They had to load and reload one truck because of the place where I live. Very narrow roads and home set below the road. They staged in the parking lot of a nearby school.

Our furniture is gone to storage until we can retrieve it for our new home. The house is practically empty save some furniture a thrift store is due to pick up.

Our experience with a local United mover, AMrazek, St Louis has been god so far. We had a smal fixable problem today that we will probably let our move coordinator know about, but overall, I was impressed with the work ethic and know-how our packing and loading teama showed.

But I am glad I won't have to do this again for a long time, or maybe ever. We have given ourselves two nights in a nice motel before we hit the road. We hand over the keys tomorrow after having house cleaners do some cleaning in the morning. It is good to be this far along. I think we might be able to get naps tomorrow afternoon

Good luck to all others who are going through this.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:09 AM

5,002 posts, read 4,254,777 times
Lasst night we took apart our two desks, put more stuff in the pod which is almost full. Today we will pick up a trailer and will put more stuff in it. The cable boxes will be returned tomorrow so no tv or internet(aahh what will my tweens do). I boxed up all our liquor also (6 boxes of it!!) and packed more of the kitchen. My tweens boxed up the bathrooms yesterday.

House looks like a bomb hit it. Kids finished school yesterday. Tomorrow is my dh's last day of work.

Getting there faster now than before.

Good luck to all those traveling.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:41 AM

448 posts, read 744,409 times
I donated the rest of my furniture. My husband's flight comes in an hour and a half. As others have said, the house looks like a bomb went through it. We will donate the rest of the things this afternoon to Good Will. Tomorrow we get the trailer and the loading will begin. I will also attend a training presented at my old job but since it is covering material that will be needed for my new job, my husband said I should go. When I am at training, he will pick up the trailer and he will begin loading. Saturday we start our trek across country.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:48 PM

My house looked awful on the day before the packers came, and for the next 2 days. DH and I keep asking ourselves where we put things. I have repacked the 2 suitcases I am using twice already. I've been living out of my suitcase since Tuesday, even though we still slept at our old home. The washer was disconnected on Tuesday, so the last laundry was done on Monday night.

Today I had housecleaners come in and give the house a good clean; I had the thrift store pick up all the items I was donating; we transferred our payout to a money market account; we gave the car a car wash; we handed the keys over and received the required deposit back which we had given after we closed.

Buyer seems happy with his purchase. We are disconnected from a house for the first time since 1971.

We start our trip to the PNW tomorrow.

Good luck to all as you continue your preparations and begin your trip.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:46 PM

This the first day of our trek west. We slept well last night, and the drive into KS, which we have done many times before, feels very familiar. We don't feel separated from our home of 26 years yet.

I had to pack and repack twice since we carried our luggage out of the house 2 days ago. I think I finally got everything into the right suitcases. Packing our car is like solving a puzzle. So far so good.

I hope those of you who are packing or purging are doing OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues