Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2012, 04:35 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,802,909 times

Advertisements

Yesterday we finished packing our third pod along with a trailer. We are swopping out furniture at our weekend house, so all that went in the trailer.

we drove to the weekend house, swopped the furniture and tomorrow we will continue onto Pittsburgh, stay in a hotel overnight and close on the new house on Monday. We will stay there one night (kids beds are in the trailer and dh and I will get the sofa bed). Hopefully when we get back to NY on Tuesday, the fourth and final pod will be there so we will finish the packing etc, stay one night, close on that house on Thursday, and go back to weekend house for 10 days. It will be a good 10 day break before we go onto Pittsburgh and start the unpacking.

Good luck to everyone else doing the same thing as us right now. It is a hugely stressful time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 04:47 PM

227 posts, read 464,983 times
A friends funeral this morning. I'm so sick of this farking city and state after 32 years, so farking done....

Old 07-29-2012, 12:12 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
I hope everyone who was posting in June has reached their destinations. We arrived at our destination 4 weeks ago, after a trek west which included visits with family members on our route. We had an uneventful drive, although we did arrive in Colorado Springs 2 days before the Waldo Canyon fire went rogue, and we saw the fire as we drove cross town one evening, but we ourselves and our family members are all OK.

All our planning paid off. Almost everything went smoothly. We drove about 300 miles per day and it wasn't bad. We were shocked that we didn't have cell service in WY, although we could text. We didn't let our personal files out of our control, and so my mind was at ease during the trip. My plan to transport my (few) nice pieces of jewelry worked well too. I packed my pieces in a jewelry roll I found on Amazon, and I have it hanging on a hanger in my closet now. It was a good choice for my situation. The jewelry roll stayed in my personal suitcase during the trip.

We stayed in Comfort Inns or Comfort Suites, and so we received a bonus for so many nights on the road. I never felt insecure. We parked our car close to the entrance or outside our room, but the parking lots were lit. It helped too that you wouldn't know from looking at our car that so much had been packed inside it. The important stuff was carried in every night.

We are in temporary quarters now. We have not found a house, so in this we are somewhat discouraged. But overall our move went well. I wish everyone else good luck.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:01 PM

448 posts, read 851,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I hope everyone who was posting in June has reached their destinations. We arrived at our destination 4 weeks ago, after a trek west which included visits with family members on our route. We had an uneventful drive, although we did arrive in Colorado Springs 2 days before the Waldo Canyon fire went rogue, and we saw the fire as we drove cross town one evening, but we ourselves and our family members are all OK.

All our planning paid off. Almost everything went smoothly. We drove about 300 miles per day and it wasn't bad. We were shocked that we didn't have cell service in WY, although we could text. We didn't let our personal files out of our control, and so my mind was at ease during the trip. My plan to transport my (few) nice pieces of jewelry worked well too. I packed my pieces in a jewelry roll I found on Amazon, and I have it hanging on a hanger in my closet now. It was a good choice for my situation. The jewelry roll stayed in my personal suitcase during the trip.

We stayed in Comfort Inns or Comfort Suites, and so we received a bonus for so many nights on the road. I never felt insecure. We parked our car close to the entrance or outside our room, but the parking lots were lit. It helped too that you wouldn't know from looking at our car that so much had been packed inside it. The important stuff was carried in every night.

We are in temporary quarters now. We have not found a house, so in this we are somewhat discouraged. But overall our move went well. I wish everyone else good luck.
We got here about a month ago. We did our trip in four days. We drove from AZ to NC. The ride was pretty uneventful, except the air went out. It did make the trip feel longer and hot. We stayed in La Quintas because we had a cat and a dog. Most of the hotels were pretty good. Like you we kept our personal papers with us, along with jewelry. We are still trying to replace all the items that we sold/gave away or donated. We only took what fit in a 5X8 U- Haul. My husband is working but I am still looking. I am learning that they tend to go much slower here than in AZ. Getting interviews but no offers yet. I keep hearing that they are behind in offering. I just keep praying and am thankful that my husband is at least working.

We are renting at the moment. We did not want to buy and not know the area. I really like the area, however, not crazy about the house that we are renting at the moment. But the rent is cheap and we can afford it on one income with tightening of things. When things get better and we know the area, we can always buy then.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:08 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,802,909 times
We are here three weeks yesterday. We were fortunate enough that we could stay in our vacation home while things were being transported. We moved from long Island to Pittsburgh (435 miles).

So far we have emptied three pods, painted a few rooms and got the house set up. We did buy the house as it was cheaper for us (no mortgage) and rentals are hard to come by here. The kids are adjusting but they dont have any friends yet as school hasnt started and we live in a stand alone house not in a development. The hardest adjustment has been on the dog.

We have had visitors last week for a few days which was good and bad. No jobs yet but we havent really looked (put in two applications). Will get down to that in full force once the kids go back to school.

We only broke one picture in the move. Everything else was fine. Now onto the fourth and final pod.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:11 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Its great to hear that okaydorothy and azteacher721 reached their destinations safely. So, we know it can be done, however we do it.

Anyone else want to update us?

Old 07-31-2012, 01:07 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
Nice to see my thread still going---I'm the OP. We moved about 2 years ago, everything went well. Biggest problem was my oldest cat. I drove him myself, because he's "my" kitty. My ds was with me. The poor cat howled the whole last leg of the trip---about 2 hours. He kept peeing in the cage, fortunately we had lots of towels. He was shivering so bad---we passed a vet office and I considered taking him in for ER evaluation, but figured it best to keep on going. Oh, well, he's happy now----

But one word of caution----we lost another cat in the move. We arrived at our new location, and thought the front door was closed. It was ajar, and Rockey escaped. We tried everything to find him, to no avail. He probably thought the outside was the same as the outside of his former home and got hopelessly lost. Do make sure to double-check your doors and windows the first few days until you get used to them.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:49 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Sorry that kitty got away. It's such a worry when a pet is missing.

What did about the move today? Nothing. I can't take it any more. I am tired of the idiots on Craigslist. I am tired of packing things up to be donated. I am tired of throwing things into the trash. ::sigh::

Old 08-01-2012, 12:02 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
Ok, well....looks like we might be moving again

We really like our rent house, and like the neighborhood, schools, etc. However, there is an abandonded house right next door to us---I don't mean empty, I mean abandonded! Its been that way about 2 years. There's no owner we can contact, appears the bank sold it to some investment bank in Brazil! The home owners association takes care of mowing, yard, etc, but eventually it will fall into disrepair. The back fence has already fallen down. I doubt its in sellable condition.

Ok, there's plenty of homes to buy here, why buy one next to an obvious disadvantage?

Well, that means packing and moving again, even though a shorter distance. Here we go again!

Old 08-01-2012, 07:37 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,108,085 times
Today I emptied 4 boxes of books we had planned to move - before getting the Kindle. Now I have 200 or more books to get rid of.

OMG, 4 pods, I cannot imagine. We are looking at 2 small pods and I'd be happy if we got it down to 1. But the "ditching, selling, giving" continues. My piano is next. I wish I could make up my mind about the china.

But I am 1 step closer to a contract for the deck/pool at the new house. YAY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues