Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2012, 12:39 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,805,531 times

Advertisements

I sold my 27 inch tube tv...it was sitting in the closet collecting dust. I had upgraded to 40 inch flat screen. The tv was almost 20 years old....Good television. I sold it for $25.00 to a college kid at my church. Im relocating to Phoenix just as soon as the house sells. Only thing Im bringing with me is my flatscreen, my desktop, and my clothes... Period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 08:27 PM

448 posts, read 851,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Nice to see my thread still going---I'm the OP. We moved about 2 years ago, everything went well. Biggest problem was my oldest cat. I drove him myself, because he's "my" kitty. My ds was with me. The poor cat howled the whole last leg of the trip---about 2 hours. He kept peeing in the cage, fortunately we had lots of towels. He was shivering so bad---we passed a vet office and I considered taking him in for ER evaluation, but figured it best to keep on going. Oh, well, he's happy now----

But one word of caution----we lost another cat in the move. We arrived at our new location, and thought the front door was closed. It was ajar, and Rockey escaped. We tried everything to find him, to no avail. He probably thought the outside was the same as the outside of his former home and got hopelessly lost. Do make sure to double-check your doors and windows the first few days until you get used to them.
Sorry to hear about the cat. Our cat had a hard time in the car, he liked it well enough but our air went out and he had a really hard time with the heat going through Texas. We took him out of the crate and put him up front. He laid by my feet in the front. Never peed or anything, did do a lot of panting and foaming. Once we got to the hotels, he was fine. Once we arrived at the house, he fit in just fine. The dog had a hard time adjusting, would not eat much or go the bathroom. Now, he is back to normal and enjoys having the almost acre of back yard to run in- Both our dog and cat have microchips, I did make sure that I updated the information that is on the microchip site. We were fortunate, no one escaped.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:36 PM

42 posts, read 48,580 times
Default Let's Revive this fun thread!

I found this old thread while searching the forum today. I think we should bring it back to life!
About 2 1/2 months ago my family and I decided we were making a big move from Illinois to Arizona. Since then, we've been working constantly towards our goal. Our initial goal was to have a Realtor out to our place on May 1st to get the house up for sale. We are not going to quite make that date despite our best efforts. But we're getting very close!
With all of this work, I thought a post like this would help me see we're not the only ones working on a big move. We can keep each other motivated!

Today I painted my kitchen, and listed about 8 items for sale on the local FB selling site. I'm waiting for two people to pick up stuff tonight!!

Old 04-21-2015, 10:09 PM

16 posts, read 25,777 times
Teak123, you and I are on the same path! Except my husband and I are moving from ND to NC, after raising 3 children here and living in our house for 31 years.

We met with a realtor last week, and are hoping to put our house on the market May 7th. May 5th, our first ABF truck is being dropped off, and will be loaded up for storage, while we sell our house. It'll be a pain to have as much stuff as possible in storage, while we sell our house, and an extra expense, and then to get a smaller truck for the rest, after the sale, but it seemed to be better than loading and unloading at a local storage facility. And until we buy another house, we'll be nomads. . . .

Today, someone picked up a desk I sold on Craig's list, and someone is coming Friday for a sideboard. For the past 3 months, I've been painting and packing and painting and packing. The only painting I have left to do is some touch-up, and the laundry floor. I packed 5 boxes, and cleaned the carpeting on the stairs, in one bedroom, and half of my husband's office (he has to sort and move stuff so I can do the other half.) I also picked up some packing supplies at Lowe's and Office Max (bubble wrap on sale at Office max this week: buy 2 get one free.) I bought a dolly and tie-downs at Lowes.

I'm glad you revived this thread!

Old 04-22-2015, 08:02 AM

27 posts, read 43,989 times
Moving in December, I think I'm insane for wanting to move north at that time of the year, but it's when my lease ends. I'll be packing up a couple of boxes today and making sure all the boxes I've already packed are packed well and taped up properly.

I'm hoping to get my belongings pared down enough that I can shove everything in my car and the smallest U-haul available.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:16 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,760,165 times
Good luck to us all. Hoping to be out by end of June. Dh has been sick for two weeks which has really slowed down the downsizing and getting rid of stuff.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:40 AM

22,333 posts, read 29,421,443 times
Moving next month but very local. Getting bf to go through his things and donate/garbage stuff.

I have a list that I'm slowly checking things off on. I've moved like 9 times with my ex so I'm pretty much an expert at this crap.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:36 PM

42 posts, read 48,580 times
Thanks for joining in, guys! I like haring that there's other people out there working hard toward their moving adventure!
Angela2932, you're right...we're in very similar situations. Where are you moving in NC? That's actually the other state I was really interested in moving to. Sounds like a wonderful place to live.

Today I had someone else pick up something I sold online, got rid of two garbage bags full of stuff out of our craft/school room, and sent an email to a Realtor who is a friend of a friend to see if she'd like to come out and check out our house. We saw it suggested that you have 2 or 3 Realtors come out before you choose one. Did anyone do this, or did you just go with the first one you talked to?

Old 04-22-2015, 10:25 PM

16 posts, read 25,777 times
Outdoorgirl2014, why, oh why, are you moving north? We're still expecting snow this week, and it's suppose to be 18 degrees tonight, so I'm not exactly feeling fond of north at the moment.

Teak123, we're moving to the Triangle area, and I'm very excited about this! I tend to like more humid warm weather rather than dry, and I'm sure to experience that in NC!

Today, I worked on wrapping pieces of furniture in bubble wrap, and/or blankets. . . . pieces that are going into storage for a few months. I also defrosted our freezer, started washing winter coats, only some of which will move with us. I pretty much emptied out our laundry room, and am getting ready to paint the laundry room floor.

And then I argued a bit with my poor husband about getting him to help move some bookshelves so I can start cleaning the carpet in his office. Getting him to sort out his office has been like pulling teeth! But we only have about 2 weeks to go before our house is on the market. . . .

Old 04-23-2015, 05:58 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,760,165 times
Teak, thanks for the realtor tip, why do we need to have multiple realtors? To see if one clicks?

'I argued a bit with my poor husband about getting him to help move some bookshelves so I can start cleaning the carpet in his office. Getting him to sort out his office has been like pulling teeth! But we only have about 2 weeks to go before our house is on the market.'

Angela, I have seen this same statement over and over here on CD. What's up with that?

Wow, I don't envy your weather. It snowed last night here, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues