U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2015, 09:05 PM

42 posts, read 37,693 times

Advertisements

Awesome question, Angela!! I will be keeping that in mind!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 01:17 AM

9,806 posts, read 5,478,673 times
Boxed more stuff.

It's now down to the critical stage where there is very little sorting. If it isn't trash, it if isn't recyclable, if it is not Goodwill, it goes in a box to be moved and sorted later.

Along with desperation comes motivation. I was lying in bed, well on the cot, resting for a few minutes before work, when I thought of the decades of calendars (at dozen or two a year) sitting on a closet shelf. So I got up and started going through them for a few minutes.

Saturday may be a dry day to move things, so today, after work, it is more box like mad!

Old 04-24-2015, 04:28 PM

14,123 posts, read 20,881,426 times
Going to set up the cable/internet for new place tomorrow. Having bf go through the built in desk draws and two misc kitchen draws Sunday. We sign our new lease 3 weeks from today!

Old 04-24-2015, 08:45 PM

9,678 posts, read 15,855,639 times
Movers came yesterday and moved some stuff, then never came back. They said they would do the majority of the moving today, then, just never showed up We called and called, they assured us they would be here, then, just never came. Look, WTH don't hey just say they don't want the job? By the time we figured out they weren't coming, well, it was waaaaaay too late to engage anyone else, especially on a Friday afternoon at that!

So, my DH and son tried to load up the uhaul, but it was just too much for two men, especially men who aren't used to that type of work, don't have the right equipment, etc. At least this is an in-town move, and we've been slowly moving stuff to the new place and a storage unit, but we had counted on a moving company for the last-minute, big stuff. My ds is a big, strong kid---age 18---but he's been quite sick with allergies, difficulty breathing, etc DH is also big and strong, but has a heart condition. I just told him look, the worst that can happen is that we hold over another week or so. The owners won't like it, I know they want to put this place on the market, but they aren't my priority. My dh isn't risking another heart attack! Sometimes you just have to set your priorities and stick by them!

The real estate agent keeps calling us every day wanting to know when we're moving out. I've told her, the end of the month. We paid up until then, they shouldn't expect us to be out any sooner. She even offered to buy out our last week. Well, that's a nice idea, honey, but we are not interested. We need the time to get moved. I guess she just doesn't get it......

We've been pruning, sorting, packing, for almost a month. We've also been trying to downsize, but, that's an ongoing process. We are willing to pay for the work we either can't do or don't have the time to do, but its difficult when workers don't show We found another company that is willing to come out tomorrow, with their own truck, we will keep the Uhaul another day as well, so, we should have our stuff moved by Sunday at the latest. Then, we have until Thursday to be out of here, but we need to steam clean, get a cleaning crew, etc. We want to leave it in decent condition!

So, tonight I sit here bubble-wrapping all my trinkets, china, dishes, etc. I know I've discussed to death the idea of getting rid of such, and I have, but there's still so much more left over. Now, its panic time! Just shove stuff in boxes and sort out when you get there I vowed NEVER to do that again, but seems it happens! Ok, I did that last move, too. At least I learned to label such---I use a big, red marker and write US on it, then, pack it last and insist on sorting when I get there. Actually, it works, if you don't let the stuff get buried! also, make sure to mark which room it comes from--bedroom, kitchen, etc, so you have a fighting chance to sort it out "later"

Well, at least in reading these boards I realize I'm not the only one to not meet my own deadlines, at least not in the perfect, organized fashion I have envisioned.

I thought this would be the "perfect move", but guess that is yet to be! Ah, well.....the whole idea is to get it moved, not be perfect

Old 04-24-2015, 09:03 PM

42 posts, read 37,693 times
Today I did more emailing with the Realtor, asked him to come out on May 4th, so am waiting for a reply to that!

Also went through some things in the garage with the hubby, and he did some more outside clean up.

Old 04-25-2015, 04:34 AM

Friday, broke down and called in some movers.

They'll be here on Monday to assess and then on Tuesday, move my loot across town.

Old 04-25-2015, 06:39 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,297,923 times
Ugh, I sympathize for you all...........:heart:

I got some night time cough medicine for DH so he can sleep. I need him to heal. Blessings and prayers for us all.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:40 AM

9,678 posts, read 15,855,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Boxed more stuff.

It's now down to the critical stage where there is very little sorting. If it isn't trash, it if isn't recyclable, if it is not Goodwill, it goes in a box to be moved and sorted later.

Along with desperation comes motivation. I was lying in bed, well on the cot, resting for a few minutes before work, when I thought of the decades of calendars (at dozen or two a year) sitting on a closet shelf. So I got up and started going through them for a few minutes.

Saturday may be a dry day to move things, so today, after work, it is more box like mad!
How's it coming? We are with you, box like mad!

Movers were supposed to come yesterday, they stood us up. Supposedly, another company is coming out this afternoon. thank goodness this is "just" an in-town move

We finally hired some muscle, too, along with a cleaning service to do a post-move clean on Monday.

Old 04-25-2015, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
How's it coming? We are with you, box like mad!

Movers were supposed to come yesterday, they stood us up. Supposedly, another company is coming out this afternoon. thank goodness this is "just" an in-town move

We finally hired some muscle, too, along with a cleaning service to do a post-move clean on Monday.
Stress wise, I'm relaxed. Maybe in a state of euphoria (and I shouldn't be), but the hurdles along the way aren't throwing me into a panic.

Ie, did a set of dishes this morning to pack most, have a basic supply for me......and now the sink is clogged. I'll eventually clear it with plungers. Going through a closet that hasn't been touched since 2004 only to find out there is stuff in it either to recover or box, not toss. Ie, the school standard of the 90's was to submit papers with your SSN on it, so until they can be sorted (later, much later) and properly disposed of, they must be contained.

My movers are suppose to box most of my stuff (and it will probably cost me), but I'm doing today what I can, as much as I can.......so much darn stuff!

But, if in anything else........I have no shortage of boxes. Infact, when I went to Office Depot on Thursday, they were having a sale, buy 2 sets (10 boxes each), get one free.

Old 04-25-2015, 05:29 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,297,923 times
Happy to hear progress for you all!

Today I picked up the battery for the Benz and installed it. She runs like a top. Topped off the antifreeze.

I have to wash her and put all of the extra parts in the trunk, then park her in a good spot and get the for sale signs up.

Then I have to figure out how to post an ad on craigslist,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues