U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 05:20 PM

23,655 posts, read 33,482,984 times

Advertisements

Today, I took three loads of trash out. Packed away a weeks worth of clothes both casual and office. Tomorrow the movers come to pack away everything. Friday the movers take everything out and we move into a hotel. Over the weekend, we come back to clean up. I have a super stressful week at work next week so I'll be glad to have this apartment garbage finished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 10:20 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,338,603 times
Last night I went through a storage box full of photographs and old letters that I never unpacked from my previous move 12 years ago! Today I took about 4 loads to the dumpster throwing away my vinyl record collection & a bag of music cassettes and vhs video tapes, two bags of recycling, filled my entire back seat of car with even more to go to Goodwill. I think this will be about my 5th trip to Goodwill. I went through my bookcase today and am going to donate about half my books so even more to drag to the car tomorrow for Goodwill. Going to go back through my clothes again and glean more I can donate. I am also giving away my years of rare mineral and rock collection and am trying to find someone to give my fish away too. I called my friend to see if she wanted my booze and snow shovel. lol

Old 04-23-2010, 06:21 AM

12,237 posts, read 1,700,748 times
Great topic...loving all the ideas and inspiration! I keep sorting and donating (don't want to do a garage sale ever again!). I need to start packing stuff I'm not using. Just a few thoughts...if you have pet beds/toys/food etc. that you don't want to move, consider donating to your local shelter. Books can go to the local library for book sales. And if you're having a garage sale, don't toss all that half-used makeup/shampoo/cologne, etc.---that always sold first at my garage sales, and I've even sold it on ebay--better than going in a dump somewhere.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:54 AM

9,695 posts, read 15,894,765 times
Yesterday it was what I didn't do.

I met a friend for lunch in one of those cute little cafes with an antiques/gift shop. I found a perfect fireplace screen that matches my curtains, and a cute cookie jar that would be a welcome addition to my cookie jar collection. it took all my willpower, but I did NOT buy them. I told myself if I really couldn't live without them, I could always come back. It would just be more stuff to pack and ship, fragile stuff at that.

I'm overloaded as it is with cutise stuff, this house looks like a bed and breakfast now. I figure two less things to pack and store!

Old 04-23-2010, 08:56 AM

I have a Goodwill donation drop about 2 miles from here. I try to always drop off whatever I sorted that day, rather than wait for a big load. It gives me a sense of accomplishment, and keeps me from second-guessing it. Every little bit helps---its actually starting to show progress in here!

Old 04-23-2010, 08:12 PM

Today I dropped off stuff at Salvation Army, then bought 10 plastic storage boxes, 50 cents each! They are medium size, some with lids, all will come in handy!

Then went to Costco and found 12 very nice sturdy cardboard boxes, with good flap lids, for free, will make good use of those!

Today I sorted a file cabinet (just one drawer), sorted and shredded. Then I got some boxes for free from the post office, about 9 x 12, you can get all you want for free. I filed the papers I'm keeping in those boxes, labeled, and next step is to scan them for backup and inventory. Wow, that's a lot of work! It freed up one drawer file cabinet, but its a start! I say the small things are harder to deal with than large items, like a sofa!

This is starting to be fun!

Old 04-24-2010, 01:43 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,274,289 times
We sold our master bedroom furniture on Craigslist the other day. So now we just have the boxspring and mattress on the floor. Now I feel like we are moving in 5 weeks!

I went through everything in my closet and the kids' rooms & got a box ready for our uncoming yard sale. Still have to sort through a few more closets and get hubby to pare down his stuff! Thinking of having the yard sale next Saturday to get it over with.

I feel like things are in really good shape. I've been working here and there over the last year to sort through our stuff and donate to Goodwill a lot. (before we decided to move) I just can't stand clutter and having extra stuff laying around.

Old 04-24-2010, 05:20 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,249,708 times
Some of you may be interested in this post:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/13882107-post77.html

(I've copied it into a text file and saved it, in preparation of my retirement move)

Old 04-24-2010, 08:48 PM

Today was nuke the bedroom day! I spent all day getting crap cleared out of my dresser and chest of drawers, then got it hauled off to the garage, where it waits to get sold in next week's garage sale! Wow--it echos in the room now! Then vacumned and steam cleaned, a ton of dust in there!

Old 04-25-2010, 05:57 PM

My ds did a lot of work helping me with stuff I just can't manage, due to a bad back. We concentrated on just the MBDR & Mbath, sorted a ton of stuff, some for Goodwill, some for the garage sale we're having next weekend.

Here's a way to motivate kids---my kids weren't interested in a garage sale, and wouldn't part with their junk. then I told them they could keep the proceeds from the sale, split 50/50, and I would match it. Suddenly they're pruning their stuff, trying to see what they can sell. Money is a powerful motivator!

And I know they sorted their stuff, so I'm not getting rid of stuff they really want.

My dd doesn't want her dollhouse anymore, its the FisherPrice Townhouse. It was a part of our Christmas for many years, the dollhouse people had Christmas decorations, presents, etc. She said to sell it, but I think that would be a mistake. Instead I packed it away, all wrapped in bubble wrap, securely packed. Actually, its two dollhouses, I packed each one seperately, with the furniture and pieces, and labeled one for ds and one for dd, also packed with it pictures of the house set up, us playing with it, etc. It brought tears to my eyes, and I thought of "puff the magic dragon" "Dragons live forever, but not so little boys, painted wings and fairy rings make way for other toys......"

One day they will discover their "legacy" and probably sell it on Ebay!

Oh, well, its one more thing out of the environment to move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues