Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2015, 08:47 PM

16 posts, read 25,766 times

Advertisements

MaryLeeII, what a nightmare!!!!! Movers not showing up; I think I'd just cry. . . . I'm glad you were able to get another company worked out, and hopefully you blast the first like crazy on social media. Everybody should be warned about them!

CCcgirl, once you get the hang of it, Craig's list is not hard. If you list anything big (expensive), watch out for scammers. We must of getting 20 scam responses to our piano listing. If someone contacts you and the language and grammar is very poor, if they offer to buy the "item", without actually mentioning, or offer to pay with ANYTHING other than cash, or have movers show up for it, DON'T RESPOND. Read the scam warnings on Craig's list, and take it seriously. That being said, we've sold about 30 things on Craig's list in the past 4 months.

Today, we had a garage sale. I thought we'd have an easy time of it, having had garage sales over the past couple of years to reduce the Mountain of Stuff, but there was way more in our garage than I realized. The fact that we didn't price anything in advance was NOT helpful. We just wanted the stuff gone, so we mostly marked tables 10 cents and 25 cents, with other, more expensive items, just to get rid of it. In fact, we posted it on Craig's list as well. We made more money than we expected, and donated everything left at the end. We still have about 8 boxes of books to take to a second hand book store, or library, though.

Someone did, though, call the police on us!

Apparently, it's against the city ordinance to post garage sales, except on your own front lawn. We'd already taken the sign back down, and the police officer drove around looking for garage sales and questioned whether we'd had a sign on the street corner. My dog tried to lick her to death, and the police officer tried to buy a table we'd already sold to someone else. Life is weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 06:26 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,757,175 times
Thanks, Angela, and OMG too funny about your sale!!!!!!!!

Old 04-26-2015, 01:45 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
Relaxed for a few minutes, admiring being able to see the back of the den without the sorting shelves in the way (a temporary plan that went on year after year), quaffing down ice tea before grabbing another box to pack.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:00 PM

42 posts, read 48,566 times
We had a garage sale a couple of weeks ago. It was way more successful than we thought it would be! We put an ad in the paper advertising it, but I also posted it on the local garage sale page on FB and that's where most people saw it. We got rid of so much stuff!
I've also sold some stuff on the same FB page, bigger things like furniture. I've had really good luck with that. For you guys looking to sell stuff, try searching FB with whatever the name of your town is followed by garage sales or for sale, e.g. Springfield Garage Sales or For Sale in Springfield.

I really can't believe how much stuff you can accumulate~and I don't think I'm a hoarder or a pack rat, either! Unfortunately I am a big garage sale fan myself, so I guess that's part of the problem!

Yesterday my husband found some home repair work he has to do before the house gets put up for sale which is going to take awhile. It really has me down, I thought we'd be listing in the next few weeks but now it looks more like a few months, possibly! I feel like we're missing the best time (spring) to sell now. I feel like we've been on such a productive, forward moving path and now we've really gotten a road block thrown in our way.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:39 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,556,504 times
Hello! I'm going to join in on this thread as we prepare for our upcoming move.
Today I pulled all the Halloween stuff out to box up. I haven't boxed it yet..maybe tomorrow.
We sold some stuff online via local FB online garage sale.
Tomorrow: get insurance quotes for new house.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:02 AM

10,113 posts, read 19,396,101 times
Well, like I said, we're moved, at least we're out of there and in here!

I can't believe how dirty the floor is! Its all wood, which seemed nice, and I didn't notice how dirty the floor was until we finally settled in and I took my shoes off. Its like sand on the floor! I don't know if it was like that to begin with, or if we tracked in the dirt. Regardless, its depressing, to say the least, now we have to buy some mops.....

What if I had left our rental in such shape?

Old 04-27-2015, 08:45 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,757,175 times
Teak, MLeeII, sorry you're so bummed. Welcome, Kandy, keep us posted!

DH iis feeling better, yay!

Old 04-27-2015, 11:08 AM

Sigh, meet with the mover for an assessment of what he needs, can do.......and I am significantly disappointed to find out what they won't move when my phone call on Friday with them left me in such high hopes.

Ie, they generally only move furniture and boxed items. They can move shelves and they will box my books, but they won't move cabinets that have tapes, LP's, or reel to reel tapes in their boxes. They won't move unboxed electronics. The cabinets need to be empty........and the list they gave me over the phone on Friday of what they won't move was different (the usual things, no flamables, explosives, hazardous waste, or paint.

Something of a far cry from their advertised "we can pack/unpack, load, and transport your entire apartment in a matter of hours.".

But what to do? I'm down to the wire and just about out of time.

So I pull on a bandana and start loading the pickup truck with the things I suddenly found out they wouldn't move......and I think I'm going to contest that just a little when they call with their estimate.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:52 PM

Sorry, left a part out. On Friday, they said tomorrow looked okay. After they saw my place, they called back to say they wouldn't have any availability for weeks.

Well, I have another company contacted for Weds.....one day before drop dead day. Right now, I'm taking cat therapy, think it's better than taking a good swig of wine.

"Let your anger feed your ambition."

Old 04-27-2015, 04:22 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,723,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Well, like I said, we're moved, at least we're out of there and in here!

I can't believe how dirty the floor is! Its all wood, which seemed nice, and I didn't notice how dirty the floor was until we finally settled in and I took my shoes off. Its like sand on the floor! I don't know if it was like that to begin with, or if we tracked in the dirt. Regardless, its depressing, to say the least, now we have to buy some mops.....

What if I had left our rental in such shape?

You probably tracked it in. I have a wood floor and I sweep it four to five times a day so I doubt it was left like that. Movers would have tracked in oodles of dirt in no time flat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues