U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2015, 03:13 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,295,877 times

Advertisements

Eek himain, just pile on more stress, why doesn't he?? Not nice!

WTG Cat! How many cats?

OMG DH got dressed and outside for the first time in four weeks. Finally getting over the pneumonia. My prayers are answered. Soon we will be taking tractors apart and selling parts like mad.

Bad news is he thinks he wants to take the backhoe........that's gonna hurt ($)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 03:50 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,137,954 times
I just started packing yesterday. I assembled a dozen boxes, packed books in three of them and taped them shut, and ran out of tape. (Aaargh!)

So far today I have filled two large trash bags with stuff that isn't worth moving or donating.

Old 05-05-2015, 07:04 PM

9,676 posts, read 15,852,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Eek himain, just pile on more stress, why doesn't he?? Not nice!

WTG Cat! How many cats?

OMG DH got dressed and outside for the first time in four weeks. Finally getting over the pneumonia. My prayers are answered. Soon we will be taking tractors apart and selling parts like mad.

Bad news is he thinks he wants to take the backhoe........that's gonna hurt ($)

Cat? Hey, just because they have furry bodies and whiskers, doesn't mean they're not "people", too
That's just what my cat, Big Boy, was telling me now, as I have a grilled steak. I have NEVER in my entire life shared a plate with animals. My cats know NOT to eat off my plate. Instead, I give them a few pieces on a separate plate, when I'm done. Ok, tonight, Big Boy kept trying to actually eat off my plate We quickly came to an understanding! New place, same rules!

Last edited by MaryleeII; 05-05-2015 at 08:09 PM..

Old 05-05-2015, 07:13 PM

9,676 posts, read 15,852,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post
I just started packing yesterday. I assembled a dozen boxes, packed books in three of them and taped them shut, and ran out of tape. (Aaargh!)

So far today I have filled two large trash bags with stuff that isn't worth moving or donating.
Then throw it away! In the last few months prior to moving, we got an additional trash can from the city, which cost $15/month, 6 month minimum. although we didn't use it the entire 6 months, the remainder was charged on our final bill. That was a worthwhile expense, IMO It save us from toting stuff around, which isn't cheap, either.

Sometimes, you have to re-evaluate what's important in your life. Today's treasures quickly become tomorrow's trash. It reminds me of my college days. During finals week, my books and notes were my prime possessions, I would walk through fire for them! Then, after the final, I would walk to the bookstore, sell the books for whatever I could get, and dump the notes. A few simple hours completely changed the value of the books and notes. Its similar in a move. Stuff that has value in your previous location becomes useless/burdensome, takes up space, sell it if you can for what you can get, then dump the rest!

Last edited by MaryleeII; 05-05-2015 at 08:08 PM..

Old 05-05-2015, 07:22 PM

Good points!!! Yes, I did throw them away.

Found more tape, yay. So I am back to packing boxes. Filled one box, at least. Also filled another two trash bags with stuff to throw away.

Gosh this seems to take so much longer than I had expected. With any luck I'll get better at it soon. I am thinking a minimum of 3 boxes each day but I'd feel better about it if I did twice that.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:04 PM

OK, I'm done for today. I sealed the three boxes that I filled yesterday, and filled and sealed three more boxes today. So, total 6 boxes in two days (4 boxes of books, and two larger boxes of miscellaneous stuff from the kitchen and hall closet).

Also, I assembled another 7 boxes so they are ready to fill later. And, I filled 4 bags of trash to throw out. Now I am resting and drinking some cool water and have quit for the day, so I don't over-do. I am Too Pooped to Pop, as we used to say back in the 1950's. Those boxes of books are heavy.

Old 05-06-2015, 05:14 AM

I bought some trash can liners for packing. Everything gets bagged and sealed before boxing in case of a water event.

Old 05-06-2015, 05:49 AM

16,339 posts, read 10,327,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
I bought some trash can liners for packing. Everything gets bagged and sealed before boxing in case of a water event.
That's a good idea! Never thought to do that.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:11 AM

Thanks, PA. Read in the moving forums how someone had stuff in storage and when Sandy hit the stuff was not elevated, everything got ruined and no insurance would cover.

I thought od the bags before reading it, though.

Now if only I had put mouse bait up in the attic when we moved in.....brought a box of military collectibles down out of the attic and they had eaten a hat and a flag.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:52 PM

16 posts, read 20,201 times
The movers loaded the first ABF truck today, taking a boat-load of stuff to storage while we put our house on the market. And we lucked out! The rain started about 15 minutes before the movers were finished, just a drizzle, so we were done before it rained seriously!

I used way less space on the truck than I expected: 12 feet rather than 23. So just the furniture is left to go on the next truck after we close. There will be much fewer boxes, and the movers said they won't be able to pack as high, with mostly furniture. But it was the best we could come up with in terms of how we'll move. ABF picked up the truck in the afternoon.

So, after the movers left, I moved empty boxes that I want to keep for phase 2 into the garage. I repainted the laundry room floor, where the movers scraped it with the freezer. Cleaned carpeting, scrubbed the fireplace mantel/cement part, photographed rooms for the realtor's listing, and then DH and I off-loaded a 32" TV at Best Buy, and recycled some other cardboard boxes.

Our open house is suppose to be on Sunday.

I hope we don't have to do anything for the open house, because this is all WAY TOO EXHAUSTING! (Why did I retire? Work was way less work!)

Good luck, everyone, with tomorrow's tasks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues