U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 05:59 PM

9,688 posts, read 15,874,542 times

Advertisements

Also, I broke down a 2-drawer file cabinet, sorted and shredded a lot of stuff, then filed the papers I will keep in boxes you can get for free from the post office. Now I can sell the file cabinets at the garage sale!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 05:09 PM

124 posts, read 343,217 times
I'm not moving until about June 2012, (yeah, it's a longways in the future) but I've been looking through my stuff and I got rid of dress clothes I don't wear. I've only got a few things left for church/formal functions etc. but I figure I won't miss the stuff I'm getting rid of since I've either never worn it or it's not the right size. I've also looked through my books and I'll be donating some to my library. (I actually did that last week too.)

Old 05-01-2010, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvwriting View Post
I'm not moving until about June 2012, (yeah, it's a longways in the future) but I've been looking through my stuff and I got rid of dress clothes I don't wear. I've only got a few things left for church/formal functions etc. but I figure I won't miss the stuff I'm getting rid of since I've either never worn it or it's not the right size. I've also looked through my books and I'll be donating some to my library. (I actually did that last week too.)

If you get started now, you just might make it!

Really, its simply amazing how the stuff just piles up. We've lived here 10 years, and I feel it will take another 10 years just to get the crap out of here! I vow never to let so much stuff accumulate again!

Old 05-02-2010, 10:27 AM

Today and tomorrow I'm going through one side of my closet. I'll either donate stuff or try to sell it on e-Bay. I've had good luck with that if it doesn't sell when I list it, I'll be putting it in my donation bag.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:32 AM

65 posts, read 304,352 times
The liquor store is a great source of sectioned boxes - perfect for glassware. I have a lot of bar glasses and used these boxes to pack them up. I try to pack 2-3 boxes each day. I also spend about 30 minutes to an hour pulling out clothes that I haven't touched in years. These get sorted and given to my sister or friend. I also have been shredding old docs. It seems easier to shred a little each time than to collect it somewhere and have it mass shredded. I am hoping I will be ready for our move in 3-4 weeks.
My oldest son's room and our office are the rooms I am most scared about. Should probably tackle them first but saving for last. True procrastinator...

Old 05-04-2010, 02:43 PM

I agree about shredding as you go, instead of saving it for a shredding company. And just how do you know they won't sell your documents? I'd rather do it myself.

One caveat----once you've cleared out a room, it can pile up again quickly. I had my bedroom sorted, ready to get rid of some old furniture, but couldn't have the garage sale last weekend. Now its starting to fill up again. It piles up quick. Once you get something sorted, get RID of it!

Old 05-04-2010, 02:47 PM

5,142 posts, read 11,479,636 times
I bought box tape so I can start packing stuff up. I should be moving in about 2 - 3 weeks.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:06 PM

Today I'll be going through my facial stuff (like washes and lotions) and deciding what I want to keep and what I don't. I'll post the get-rid-of pile on Freecycle.

I'll also be going through my make up and getting rid of the stuff that's older then about 6 months.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:24 AM

I got rid of my ugly old sofa! Its damaged beyond selling, even Goodwill won't take it. I was considering paying a junk removal service, then I asked my lawn people how much they would charge to take it away. for free, if they could have it. I pointed out its muy feo and made sure they know its condition, they said they would take it anyways.

So, that's one more headache gone out the door! I was looking at paying as much as 498+ for Got Junk to haul it off. Helps to speak Spanish!

Oops--typo, I meant $98 to get it out with Got Junk! Still, can't beat my deal

Last edited by MaryleeII; 05-05-2010 at 11:22 AM..

Old 05-05-2010, 11:05 AM

Good job for getting rid of the sofa! :clap: it must be great to get it out of your house!

Today I'll be seeing if I can get my desk cleaned out, there's not much to do with that though.

Last edited by iluvwriting; 05-05-2010 at 11:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues