U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2015, 08:36 PM

727 posts, read 520,138 times

Advertisements

Today I packed 4 more boxes, took a carload to donations. Then I went to my storage & brought home a bunch more full boxes to go through.

My move is a little unusual. I am planning on moving back into my home in California this coming winter. I have a POD being delivered tomorrow & will begin filling it with items going back to California. PODS will store it for the next several months.

The hard part is deciding if I want to stay in the house I'm renting now or move to an apartment about 1/2 hour away, for the next 4-6 months. I'm packing as though I'm moving to the apartment, but still haven't made up my mind. (sigh)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 07:39 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,239,147 times
I can relate to those in the same place 20+ years. SO much stuff. And it's a one bedroom house!

Pushed the moving date back to July 15, with DH sick there's no way we'll make it by end of June. Mom is harassing me about putting it off, too bad.

Ordered more tape/boxes/bubble wrap.

Ebay was good this weekend, more stuff out the door.

Wondering when to contact a realtor about selling. Now? Later? *sigh*

Neighbor boys came last week and took the giant 32" CRT TV. It's like new, maybe ten hours of use.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:12 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,054,671 times
I spent a half hour shredding old documents last night. I think I'm just going to try to keep doing that pretty much every night to work through it all.

Dave

Old 06-05-2015, 11:55 AM

1,722 posts, read 3,117,692 times
I went to my insurance agent to arrange insurance on the house I'm buying across town. It is expensive enough to bring tears to one's eyes, but I expected that and at least I know how much it is.

I sure wish I could do more but I ran out of things to do. Right now, I'm all packed except for a few things that I need to live, and can pack in two or three boxes. I miss my stuff! It looks like my move will be the last week in June, unless it gets delayed again.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:07 PM

1,141 posts, read 763,269 times
Today we set up for our last garage sale. Tomorrow we'll load up everything that didn't sell and take it to Goodwill.

Old 06-06-2015, 05:52 AM

FLH, post pics, I'm a garage sale junkie

Eek, NOLA, you're ALL packed?? Way too efficient!

We cleared and scrapped a bunch of stuff in the barn on Tuesday and put some big money stuff up on ebay.

Finally got off my butt and called Pods, they DO come to this area. So relieved. NOBODY comes here. Hell, we're lucky to have electricity, UPS, Fedex, you get the idea......

Old 06-06-2015, 07:27 AM

727 posts, read 520,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
I spent a half hour shredding old documents last night. I think I'm just going to try to keep doing that pretty much every night to work through it all.

Dave
Yes, Dave. That worked for me as well. Then when a box was getting heavy, I added some of the shredded paperwork instead of more items.
😊
It's all so time-consuming, isn't it?

Old 06-06-2015, 10:55 AM

1,722 posts, read 3,117,692 times
Nonansea, what a great idea to use your shredded paperwork for packing! I wish I had thought of that. I threw all mine out just a week or two before I started packing.

CCc girl, well, the reason I am all packed is that my future home that I am purchasing, was originally supposed to close on May 29th. But, out of compassion for my sellers (who have lived in the house for 40 years and are elderly/disabled, and who have expensive unexpected plumbing repairs/replacement to do in response to my inspections), I agreed to delay closing. If I had been closing on May 29th as originally planned, I would have been SO far behind. ;D

So right now, I have been looking for little things to do that I didn't notice before.

Yesterday I got my Teflon tape back from a friend I lent it to, and then used it to replace one of my shower massagers with the fixture that originally came with this house. I still need to do the same for the other shower. I know, raiding my present house like that seems stingy but I just couldn't see paying for two more high end shower massagers for the new house.

Other than that, I'm pretty much in waiting mode. I am so excited about this move! I am dreaming about it every night.

Old 06-06-2015, 02:10 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,054,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNansea View Post
Yes, Dave. That worked for me as well. Then when a box was getting heavy, I added some of the shredded paperwork instead of more items.
😊
It's all so time-consuming, isn't it?
It is time consuming, but it's also an activity that you can fit in here and there when you have a little spare time, or when you aren't in the right frame of mind to do anything that requires much brainpower.

I had some time this morning between appointments so I converted a couple more boxes of old documents to paper shreds.

I like the idea of using the shredded paper for packing, but since we're a year away from our move I don't think I'll be able to do much of that unless we're still shredding at the last minute. I hope to be done with it well before we move!

Dave

Old 06-06-2015, 05:25 PM

In a late burst of energy today, we cleared and scrapped a bunch of stuff in the barn and put some more stuff up on ebay. Culled some more stuff to photograph to get up tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues