U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 04:25 PM

3,378 posts, read 7,895,646 times

Advertisements

I marked off the 61st day before we leave. 60 days left baby!! Time to pop this moving machine into high gear. WOOT WOOT!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 08:52 AM

124 posts, read 343,175 times
Today I'm getting a few bags ready to give to charity. They'll be gone on Sunday.

Old 05-14-2010, 03:26 PM

1,488 posts, read 2,342,426 times
not much really. I have a 18 to 24 month window before I relocate. Ive been saving money and taking college classes to earn my degree so that I can have a greater career opportunity. I have plans, but yet to execute, for internships next year and apply for CFA and ace the exams. i also plan to sell my car and a few other items to earn more money. at least i'll have a nice big cushion when i move, i just wish the time would go by faster lol. don't know what else i can do at this point....

Old 05-15-2010, 04:09 PM

9,682 posts, read 15,871,097 times
Finally, I got rid of that old sofa!

Some mexicans who do my lawn were going to come get it, then decided not to. I found an older couple who haul off stuff for free, they refinish it and sell it, they have a second-hand store. They came today and just hauled it off, no questions asked, no arguing that we could sell it on Craigs list, etc. We did give them $20, they cam a long ways, their gas, and time and labor, I was looking at $100+ for places like Got Junk to haul it off.

That old sofa was a bottleneck, we need to paint and steam clean in the LR but that old thing was impossible to manuever around, a 5-piece sectional. So now that's gone!

I will get with painting, then steam clean last. I was going to replace the carpet, but think it can be salvaged with a good cleaning.

Old 05-16-2010, 04:59 PM

Today I started packing the contents of one curio cabinet. Little knick knacks, etc, that I can't part with. First, I cleared them all out, then dusted and cleaned the inside of the cabinet. Then, dusted, cleaned each item.

I will start wrapping them in bubble wrap tomorrow. But here's an idea I'd like to pass on--while I have everything out of the cabinet, I took pictures of them, along with making lists. Then I know what items are in each box. No need to wonder just what is in that box!

For fragile items, I read to pack heavier items on the bottom. I'm stuffing the boxes with old towels (I knew they would come in handy for something) layered with crumpled newspapers. One layer towel, one layer crumpled newspaper, you get the idea. Then wrap each item in bubble wrap. Now I wish I hadn't thrown out all those old socks, they would make greak packing material, but we still have plenty. Then I pack one box inside another with plenty of newspaper. That's a lot of work, but my items are worth it!

Also, I'm starting to pack my cookie jar collection. One jar per box, along with a picuture of the jar on the front, and keep another on a master list. I collect antique cookie jars, I have 12 of the Smiley pig cookie jars, I won't part with any of them, I love my pigs! Each one gets his own box, with plenty of bubble wrap, crushed newspaper, old towels, socks, etc.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:10 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,242,811 times
I have very little to pack due to sticking with furnished apartments and selling off the rest of what I don't want. I don't want to drive either so I'll be flying. I have already figured out everything I need with my budgeting, insurance, school choices and figuring out what I'll be doing in terms of finding jobs and getting by cheap until I do find a job.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:46 AM

6,764 posts, read 19,765,290 times
I just keep throwing away things, making donations.
I have no clue where we're going or when but I want to be ready.
My son's room will be the hardest. He hoards every little paper or book from school.

If you guys are getting rid of books (especially kids books) don't overlook your local preschools. The same for toys. A lot of those would (maybe) appreciate the donations if you called and asked them.

There is a homeless shelter near me and a new one going up so what little is good, I am going to bring to them.

My advice to you guys (I have moved so many times) is get rid of things, give them away. Don't pay to store them long term unless they are precious memory type items (photos, baby shoes). For what you pay to drag and store (long term) you can buy new.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:59 AM

2,903 posts, read 10,950,227 times
I steam cleaned the carpets the other day. I worked yesterday hauling stuff from the attic and basement to the garage for a huge garage sale in a few weeks.....the first of a few, eventually selling everything including the house, etc.

When we move to the Florida house in just over a year or so I'm taking nothing except wife, some tools, and my laptop. Seriously. In that order.

We are committed to doing SOMETHING each day towards the big move. I'm told by everyone that the last year goes fast, so we want to stay ahead of it.

Frank

Old 05-18-2010, 09:27 AM

55 posts, read 126,634 times
I just returned from TX a few days ago. I feel good and I am even more determined to leave.
So, what did I do today for my move? I prayed, went to work and marked my calendar.
I want to use the tools that I have, to live the life I want to live. I am happy wherever I am at. I just want to get the show on the road like my gardening,horseback riding,etc.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I just keep throwing away things, making donations.
I have no clue where we're going or when but I want to be ready.
My son's room will be the hardest. He hoards every little paper or book from school.

If you guys are getting rid of books (especially kids books) don't overlook your local preschools. The same for toys. A lot of those would (maybe) appreciate the donations if you called and asked them.

There is a homeless shelter near me and a new one going up so what little is good, I am going to bring to them.

My advice to you guys (I have moved so many times) is get rid of things, give them away. Don't pay to store them long term unless they are precious memory type items (photos, baby shoes). For what you pay to drag and store (long term) you can buy new.

Oh, how noble! You're truly a good hearted person, wanting to make the best use of your donations, but I've found that to be a waste of time. Everytime I've tried to donate stuff like toys to a pre-school, items to a homeless shelter, etc, they always turn up their nose at it. They always have plenty of whatever I'm donating, they don't even thank me for the thought, and I end up taking it to a Goodwill dropoff anyways. Now I save myself the time and effort and gas, just take it to the nearest donation dropoff and be done with it.

But, like you, I've tried to do something everyday, even if its just clean out one junk drawer. I'm starting to see the results, it doesn't look quite so hopeless now.

I have 1.5 weeks left the kids are still in school, I try to get rid of their junk then. Otherwise, its a battle for every little piece of junk. They argue over old, broken toys, clothes that don't fit, etc, and take forever to go through stuff. We spent 2 hours cleaning out one drawer and my dd wanted to keep most of it, it was just junk, like broken crayons, etc.

I'm trying to maximize my time, make use of when the kids aren't here. Honestly, my ds wanted to keep an old Buzz Lightyear toothbrush! If you let them be part of the decision-making process, they string it out. I don't get rid of anything that's truly valuable or important, but they can't keep every little peice of junk. They don't even notice it missing if I pitch it when they're gone, but if I try to get rid of it while they're around its impossible. They just don't understand the whole concept of moving, sorting, etc, and I can't allow them to set the pace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues