U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2015, 12:48 PM

174 posts, read 186,871 times

Advertisements

NOLA, you and I are the same age. I too have "less muscles" and "more stuff". That should be a motivator for me to really purge before the big move and change the last part of that sentence to "less stuff" Although I must say, lifting all of my boxes is the equivalent of lifting weights right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 04:05 PM

24 posts, read 26,201 times
Hi everyone! Hope your packing is going well. We closed today (hooray) and while we won't be moving for a few weeks we dropped off some small boxes of fragile items. I also picked up the school enrollment forms for my kids. This past weekend I got rid of a bunch of stuff thru consignment and donation. Hope you are all hanging in there!

Old 06-30-2015, 04:58 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,272,163 times
Blessings someday!!!!!!!

I booked the Pods. Pods - 6488. Packrat 8400. Guess who got my business.

OMG it's really happening. FL here we come, ready or not.

Packed up more of the living room. I have 250 feet of bubble wrap on hand. I blew through 50 feet of it with only 12 boxes. Granted, it's all collectible glassware. So I ordered 200 more feet and another 6 pack of packing tape. And another huge 16 cubic foot bag of packing peanuts.

Emailed a friend who wants a china hutch and a living room chair, come get it.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:16 PM

1,727 posts, read 3,130,388 times
Someday, congratulations on your house closing! Time to celebrate.

Ccc girl, you are a packing Olympian! That's a lot more boxes than I was able to pack in one day, anyway. Good work!

I am sitting here with not one thing left to do, other than to drop the bedding and alarm clock and nightclothes into a box and seal it when I get up. I am tired and ache all over but I reached my goal. The movers arrive tomorrow morning between 9 and 9:30.

Old 07-01-2015, 03:37 PM

Spent most of the day packing. I started another box for the consign lady. I got four big boxes done today.

So far in two days I have blown through a hundred feet of bubble wrap (my glass collection.) Ordered two more hundred foot bales last night, and another six pack of packing tape.

Since I was in the auto parts biz for 25+ years and sell on ebay, I love to pack. Love it.

I am using more bubble wrap than packing peanuts b/c peanuts are a pita. With the wrap you just carefully cut and unwrap, then fold neatly to be used again.

ETA two weeks ago I had the sense to order a case of 25 Priority Mail flate rate size C boxes. They are 12x12x18. Again, with the ebay biz they will all get reused. Delivered to my door for free.

Old 07-01-2015, 06:08 PM

I am moved! And my new-to-me house already seems more like home to me than my former house. I just feel so comfy and at home, here.

I haven't found any breakage or damage at all from the move, done by some local movers. They worked hard and I thought they were very fast considering all my furniture. I had 53 boxes and way too much furniture for a 1600 square foot home that I have lived in for the past 13 years. Anyway, it took 2 hours for them to load the van, and 3 hours to unload it (and put the furniture exactly where I wanted it). They didn't even stop for lunch because a severe storm was on its way, and they finished just as it arrived. I am so happy - - I gave them each a big tip.

Unpacking is going to be lots more fun than packing. I have already unpacked several boxes. I am totally exhausted, though, and every muscle and joint in my body aches so I am not working very hard on it yet.

Last edited by NOLA2SGF; 07-01-2015 at 06:18 PM..

Old 07-01-2015, 06:37 PM

174 posts, read 186,871 times
Hi NOLA, congrats! Sit back and give yourself a break. You certainly deserve it. You have worked so hard. It's an exciting time for you. I hope you unpack each box with joy and anticipation and put your stuff in their new "special" places.

Old 07-01-2015, 06:49 PM

Thank you, Goldentraveler! I tried to add to your "reputation" score, but I am not sure it worked. Oh well! I am just relaxing on the sofa for now. We were going to go out and celebrate but I think maybe I'll just beg off and go to bed early tonight.

Old 07-03-2015, 02:26 PM

Congrats NOLA!!!!! Keep posting, we all need to see that light at the end of the tunnel.

I bought a 600 lb. rated hand truck with a ten percent off coupon at Tractor Supply. I will need it at both ends of the move, so money well spent.

Old 07-03-2015, 08:08 PM

CCc girl, good idea to buy that heavy duty hand truck! I have a smaller one that came in very handy when packing. When unpacking, I am finding that my sturdy laundry cart has been a big help for me too, in taking stuff from room to room to put away.

Got my indoor antenna attached to the TV (which was harder to do than it sounds), so I am getting OTA television as planned. Today my new refrigerator was delivered. Although hooking up the ice maker was included in the price, they wouldn't do it because the water line to the icemaker wasn't set up right. So now, I have to get somebody to correct that and hook up the ice maker. On Monday my new washer and gas dryer will be delivered, and it is the law here for gas dryers to be hooked up by a licensed plumber so I have to call one to do that after I get it. Lots of other tasks too but I am taking tomorrow "off" to do nothing, if possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues