U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2015, 09:06 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,270,501 times

Advertisements

We were considering Dunellon, Morriston, all up that way. The county website is pretty informative. Are you ready for the love bugs?

Florida Yards & Neighborhoods program

Finally making some progress moving, kids are coming up to haul off the old Benz.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 09:26 AM

1,727 posts, read 3,129,812 times
Tarajane, congratulations! That is so exciting. As for fast closings, I recently bought a house and closing was initially less than 4 weeks after I made my offer. But after inspections it turned out that the seller had to make some major repairs, so it ended up being 7 weeks. I had everything packed but 3 boxes, for 4-5 weeks and that was miserable but now it is done and I am in my dream home.

Now, my former house is being bought and closing is in 6 weeks. I think it is wonderful that you can close so soon, and even though it will be a lot of work, you can do it! ;D

I didn't auction or have yard sales before my move. I felt like I didn't have time to sell things safely with that initial 4 week closing date. I threw away the worthless stuff, donated some, and put some excess furniture out at the curb (where it was acquired by passers by who wanted it, so that made me happy too). Honestly if I didn't want it any more, it probably wasn't worth much.

As for the chickens, ask your realtor! He or she will know the answers to questions like that.

As for helping you settle down, don't settle down! Instead, use that nervous energy to pack faster. You have a lot of work ahead of you but it is worth it for a bucket list dream like that.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:29 AM

IMO I would consign, not auction. I have never done an auction other than my own stuff on ebay.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:50 AM

69 posts, read 56,013 times
Hauled out two table leaves from storage and cleaned them (yuck, years of accumulated dust) - I am consigning a dining room table and the moving guy is coming on Wednesday to take it to the consignment shop and I need to include the leaves. Having this white elephant hauled away (it's also a remnant from a former marriage) is a huge weight off my shoulders.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:52 AM

Except for those premises on which agricultural activity is allowed, no outside cage, kennel, pen, or other structure for the containment of animals shall be allowed in a residential zoning district except as provided in this section.

Residentially committed lots designated RUR, AGR, or CL having a total of 10 or more acres shall not be subject to the standards as defined above provided all other development standards of this LDC are met.

]http://www.citrusbocc.com/plandev/landdev/ldc/chapter_3.pdf

Old 07-19-2015, 10:35 AM

Chocokitty, that is terrific that you are getting rid of that table, especially since it is heavy and from a former marriage. Been there, done that and I know just what you mean.

On moving day, I had gotten rid of all the furniture that wouldn't fit in the new house, except for a gigantic "Big Chair" with ottoman. It wasn't in good condition, and I planned to have the movers just put it at the curb for trash pickup. I was so thrilled when one of the movers said he wanted it for himself instead.

Ccc girl, good sleuthing! Also I agree about consignment if the furniture is a reasonable quality and if you can get the furniture there somehow. We have a nice consignment store here (but they never would have accepted that Big Chair because it was in bad shape).

Something that helped me a lot with my move, was to just accept the fact that most of my stuff is worthless or very nearly so. Sure, it seems great to me, but it is seriously used and doesn't look all that great anymore (except in my mind's eye). It wouldn't bring me much at a yard sale, auction, or consignment store. Besides, I don't mind giving away stuff like that because if somebody actually wants it, they are truly in need IMO.

Old 07-19-2015, 11:14 AM

Chocokitty, congrats on going back home and putting that part of your life to bed.

NOLA, great story about your chair. Pay it forward

So, the kids are on their way. I got them a room so they can crash the night and go to the amusement park tomorrow. Will do Outback for dinner, haven't been in years.

Old 07-19-2015, 02:46 PM

1 posts, read 596 times
New to forum and need a kick in the pants. House will sell Sept 30 and I have much packing still to do. So as you can see I am on the internet instead! So far today I've tackled a kitchen cabinet and dumped old bottles of balsamic vinegar (semi-solid!) Stuck on the blender decision, and old bottles of brandy. Good after 30+ years??? Give away or toss!?!? The list of things to do before the closing is endless. I have already packed over 100 boxes, but the things that are left are the difficult ones. Did the yard sale, Craigslist, curbside, donations and gifts to friends and neighbors. Just the tough nuts left.

Hope tomorrow I'll have more than balsamic vinegar to share.

Old 07-19-2015, 04:32 PM

MLPress, you are getting a lot done! Keep it up and surely you will finish in time. How many boxes do you think you will need to pack? I moved on July 1st, and even though I just ended up with 53 boxes, I felt avalached with "stuff". Much of it I didn't need. I only packed about 1/3 of my stuff, and threw out or donated the rest while I was packing.

I unpacked 5 more boxes today and I only have two boxes of winter clothes left to unpack, plus 7 boxes of books. For me, unpacking has been LOTS easier and quicker than packing.

Old 07-20-2015, 05:53 AM

9,763 posts, read 5,446,222 times
(for those just tuning in, I had to move out of my apartments early, before my house could be built, so I am an interim rental house, having moved here in a rush from my apartments)

Had to clean out half of the garage over the weekend so they could get the gun safe in....which they did yesterday evening.

As I opened up boxes, a lot of them I just moved into the house, but some, I was able to sort a little, rebox them more efficiently, and label them. Others just had papers and old software manuals I could directly toss into the recycling bin including National Geographics that didn't buy it in the mass purge.

This morning, as I was lying in bed, I was thinking about some of those issues, covers of cheetahs and tigers from the mid 80's and 90's, I could still pull them out of the recycling bin. I could get to them eventually, read them, they would only take up a box or two, would it be that much........and in a year or two down the line, I would open up the box and wonder why I am still carrying them around, why didn't I dump them then.

So, for now, they will still sit in the bin or, at the very least, they won't be boxed (because as I type this, I am thinking again of digging them out, speed reading them before putting them back in).

On another front, took the Goodwill box (VHS, walkman electronics, binders, display models, wall decorations, desk materials) to them yesterday, to start another box today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues