Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2010, 07:27 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,748,694 times

Advertisements

Cleaned out the garage, moved stuff to storage to make garage appear roomier, called a real estate agent to come check out the house Sunday evening, and installed a built in dishwasher.

We're leaving in two weeks and we've been neck deep in home renovation for months. If I live through this, I will never even so much as pick up a paint brush again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 08:48 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Cleaned out the garage, moved stuff to storage to make garage appear roomier, called a real estate agent to come check out the house Sunday evening, and installed a built in dishwasher.

We're leaving in two weeks and we've been neck deep in home renovation for months. If I live through this, I will never even so much as pick up a paint brush again.
Why do people have such big houses and so much stuff, anyways? We moved into a smaller rental house, planned to buy a bigger home, but I don't think I want to. the smaller house suits me just fine, and I don't want to move again, ever!

Old 07-24-2010, 06:11 AM

438 posts, read 1,115,158 times
I'm glad you're there, Marylee II!

My move is happening in a little more than two weeks. This is my first interstate move and the first time I've moved without a car, but I've been able to take care of everything without one so far, including ordering moving boxes online from two different companies. I think I have more packing boxes and wrapping paper than needed, but better to have too many than too little, as I won't be able to run out and get more boxes at the last minute.

I'm buying a condo in my new area, so first I had to take care of searching, offering, signing, financing; getting utilities in my name, etc.; now I'm working on getting my current apartment ready to vacate. I'll begin packing this weekend. My apartment is a small one bedroom, so I'll have to think hard about the order in which to pack things and where to stack the boxes.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:34 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,748,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Why do people have such big houses and so much stuff, anyways? We moved into a smaller rental house, planned to buy a bigger home, but I don't think I want to. the smaller house suits me just fine, and I don't want to move again, ever!
I hear ya!

My fiance is a packrat, as was his father before him. I think that seeing boxes upon boxes of mostly his stuff piled up ceiling high in one of the largest storage units available was a big wake up call for him. He swears that he's going to divest himself of most of it when we reach San Diego. We just don't have the time to do it here--every waking moment has been spent repairing and renovating our 1920 house.

We came to Laramie because of the University of Wyoming and my degree. There was no time to renovate until May when I finished school and he finished teaching (he's a college professor) and now, with time running out--we can only DIY the house, pack it, and move.

I'm looking forward to ridding myself of about 40% of all of our worldly possessions at next week's garage sale!

Old 07-26-2010, 11:17 AM

Well, here we are!

This house is a rental, we are considering purchasing it at the end of the lease, just right now our credit isn't so great and we'd like to save more for a down payment. We don't want to spend our last dime on a DP then have a financial issue happen that would require cash.

Actually, I'm on the fence if I would like to buy this place or not. Its nice, almost brand new, all new carpet and paint, nice area, great school district, friendly neighbors, kids my kids age, but

Some drawbacks---

*its significantly smaller than our previous homes. Still same floorplan, 5 bdr, 3 bath, one story, about 800 sq ft less than our previous home. That extra sq footage went mainly to the formal LR?DR which we hardly used, and couldn't be closed off due to the floorplan, so that was 800 sq tf more to heat and AC, plus taxes. We won't miss it!

*But this home does have a smalll kitchen and small closets, we can work around it, but if we decicded to buy it we need to consider resale value

I really don't see where we'd gain much by purchasing another home, except more space, more heat & AC bills, more taxes, etc. If we were to purchase this house, our mtg payments would be about $400 less than rent! We could do a lot with that extra MONEY!

Old 07-26-2010, 08:03 PM

124 posts, read 372,386 times
Today I went through some of my stuff, I got a couple of boxes ready to list on Craigslist, I'll list them tomorrow.

Tomorrow I'm going through some old boxes, in the storage room. I don't want to have to move a whole lot.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:43 PM

How long does it take to get rid of stuff? I've been pruning and sorting since Jan, finally had to move some stuff unsorted. The last night I simply ran out of time, so, took some boxes, shoved stuff in them, labeled them where they came from, such as dining room table, also, labeled US for unsorted. Now here I am, trying to unpack, moving still at a snail's pace.

Well, I have two lazy kids who won't so much as put a dish in a dishwasher, dh lived in another city for almost a year, and I injured my back last Jan and had surgery last March, so all that does cut into one's time. I just give myself credit for what I have accomplished.

But now I'm concerned I will slow down. Once we get settled in, the boxes will get pushed to one side, and forgotten again until the next move, that's the way its been for the last 5 moves, I'm still toting stuff around.

I really thik the only way to get rid of the crap is simply ditch it. If boxes haven't been opened for 10+ years, throw them away unopened, after all, if I've lived that ,long without them, why worry about what's inside it now!

Old 07-27-2010, 06:09 AM

1 posts, read 1,352 times
figured I'd get in on this one. I have been cleaning and packing the storage space and garage before moving into the house. I'll be moving from RI to IL in 3 weeks and hopefully will have a place to live since the apartment company is taking forever to process me.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:34 PM

124 posts, read 372,386 times
I'm thinking of putting bulky stuff aside that has sentimental value to me and I'll take pictures of it all when I get the chance, that way I can still remember "Oh I won the soccer championship in 2003" but not have a big trophy to cart around.

I'm going through everything I own and I'll be listing a bunch of stuff on Craigslist this week.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvwriting View Post
I'm thinking of putting bulky stuff aside that has sentimental value to me and I'll take pictures of it all when I get the chance, that way I can still remember "Oh I won the soccer championship in 2003" but not have a big trophy to cart around.

I'm going through everything I own and I'll be listing a bunch of stuff on Craigslist this week.

Or here's something you can do with trophies---do they have a name plate? Remove the plate, put it in an album along with a picture and description, then donate the trophy to Goodwill, they do find uses for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues