Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 01:57 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazinGracie View Post
Well, the yard sale yesterday went off without a hitch. We got rid of most of our "junque", and donated the remains to the local Catholic Church for their annual Rummage Sale (no sense in filling up the local landfill!) And we made a nice chunk of change for the effort!!

Now it is on to the final packing stage. Today, I have sorted through the remaining DVDs and VHS tapes, packed what I'm keeping, along with all the CDs, games, cards, etc. All the pictures are off the walls and are ready to wrap and pack. I've done 2 loads of laundry, vacuumed and dusted and cleaned the kitchen.

And it is not even 12:30 yet!!

ummmm......may I ask how much you made from the garage sale? I'm planning a garage sale soon. Its main purpose is to get rid of "junque", of course, and avoid paying someone to haul it off.

I told my two teens I would allow them to keep the proceeds, split 50/50. That has really motivated them, already my ds has made signs, with a little insert so he can change the date. And its got them going through the stuff they couldn't part with, now they're trying to figure how much they could get for selling it!

I figure I will match what they make, to sweeten the deal. Its worth it to me to not have to move and store it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 03:05 PM

3,079 posts, read 1,117,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
ummmm......may I ask how much you made from the garage sale? I'm planning a garage sale soon. Its main purpose is to get rid of "junque", of course, and avoid paying someone to haul it off.

I told my two teens I would allow them to keep the proceeds, split 50/50. That has really motivated them, already my ds has made signs, with a little insert so he can change the date. And its got them going through the stuff they couldn't part with, now they're trying to figure how much they could get for selling it!

I figure I will match what they make, to sweeten the deal. Its worth it to me to not have to move and store it!
We made almost $1000, but we had some high dollar items, such as a generator, a cement mixer, carport canopies, and a huge push-type weed eater. We also had a lot of low-end items that went for a quarter each.

When you get ready to have your sale, make sure you advertise it well. Along with your local paper, make sure to put an ad on craigslist.

Quote:
AmazinGracie - give yourself a pat on the back

(But what time did you get up? LOL)
I got up at 7:30, and didn't even start until 9:00!!

Old 04-18-2010, 06:35 PM

I don't really have any big items for a garage sale, except a bedroom set that might fetch $100 tops. I'm now wondering if its worth the hassle.

Here's another little thing I did today---I sorted out old blankets, towels, afghans, blankets, etc, washed them, and stored them in boxes labeled Packing Materials. They will come in handy for protecting furniture while moving. That was actually more work tan it wounds, and it gets it out of closets, drawers, etc.

This mess is slowly starting to shape up!

Old 04-19-2010, 05:25 PM

451 posts, read 976,986 times
Way to go AmazinGracie - nice chunk of change!!

MaryleeII - I am in a similar boat for this move. Our garage sale prior to our last move brought in several hundred dollars. This one, not so much.

So, after having done this year's taxes (and never exceeding the $500 donation limit) I found out that you can claim a great deal if after reaching the $500 donation limit you fill in form 8283 (and I am sure many more forms plus your first born - just kidding) in addition to itemized receipts and use that for tax credit.

For us, I think this may be the way to go. In 2010 with our move we'll exceed the $500 limit in donations and perhaps that might offset a few moving costs next year when we file 2010 taxes.

Anyway, just a thought. I am sure it isn't for everyone. However, this is a way to donate and recycle items, get a little bit of a tax break and have some potential money savings when you just don't have enough to justify a garage/yard sale.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:05 PM

So here's what I did today---I've decided to get rid of my bedroom set, haven't decided yet to try to sell it at a garage sale or just donate it to Goodwill. Goodwill will pick up, so its less hassle.

Today, I sorted and pruned the accumulated junk in the dresser and chest of drawers. what's left over I have another dresser for. its amazing all the crap I was storing, none of it worth a fart! Why does it take all day to go through one dresser and one chest of drawers? Well, I have 4 bags of trash/donations ready to move out.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:34 AM

28 posts, read 104,023 times
Threw out the things I wouldn't be needing. I get too attached to things, and sometimes it gets really hard to throw them away or discard them even if I know I won't be using them anymore. So "trash" (or some things we can give to others who may have more use for them) needs to be taken care of first.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:32 PM

Our city has two heavy trash pickups /year, this Saturday is one! I called today, they can haul off that sofa. They will come early morning, so hopefully it won't attract a crowd of people wanting to save it. Believe me, it belongs in the dump!

This way, I save $60 to pay some guy to haul it off!

Old 04-20-2010, 02:37 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I spent 3 huors organizing my bathroom. Tossed used stuff, old bottles, expired items, etc. then organized my cosmetics.Its amazing all the make up I have and never use. Still I paid too much for it to toss it.

If you haven't used it in a year, toss it. You're not going to wear it and no one else wants it. Just consider it an expensive lesson learned.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:41 PM

451 posts, read 976,986 times
Took one load to the dump. Took another almost full load to donate. Kind of interesting to see how much you have left to do when you thought you were almost done. That's alright...the more we dump/recycle/donate the more progress we see.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:25 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,556,999 times
Today - I didn't do anything. Tomorrow - I will do a ton! Woo Hoo! (I'll tell you why then)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues