Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2010, 03:10 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,021,815 times

Advertisements

I hear what you're saying Mary. Places that you donate to often have a bad attitude that makes you understand why most people dump their stuff in the trash and not donate it.

Where I live is a mixed (some very rich, some very poor) area. We have a homeless shelter down the road and several thrift stores within a few miles. We have donated to the shelter in the past as well as one of the thrift stores. Mine you, some of the stuff was quite nice (clothes our son outgrew, some new). He is pretty easy on clothes (apart from the stains!).

Twice the people at the thrift store just looked at us as we brought in the bags. Not even a thank you. Yes, they are overwhelmed volunteers but it's okay for them to say 'thank you.' The same for the shelter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 04:34 PM

10,104 posts, read 19,320,940 times
One place that always wants old sheets, towels, etc, is animal shelters.

We volunteered at a shelter last Fall and saw first-hand the overwhelming need for anything cloth to line animal cages. Towels, sheets, also, old throw rugs, afghans, etc. all sizes are usable. They have washers and dryers, but quickly go through items. Its sometimes the only comfort the animals have, they like to suck and chew on blankets, and tear them up.

They have a big donation bin we just drop stuff off in.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:37 PM

860 posts, read 2,708,712 times
Today I opened about 15 cans of paint, some of them full, and filled them with kitty litter.Its really damp and rainy so I hope they dry in 4 days for the trash P/U. The toxic items have been hardest to get rid of responsibly.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hart4july View Post
Today I opened about 15 cans of paint, some of them full, and filled them with kitty litter.Its really damp and rainy so I hope they dry in 4 days for the trash P/U. The toxic items have been hardest to get rid of responsibly.

huh?

Old 05-18-2010, 07:51 PM

Today---

took 4 bags to goodwill. I take bags as they fill up, even if just a few, so I don't second-guess them

disassembled dd bed (actually, ds did the physical part), will set it out with the trash tomorrow, they take junk

got an estimate for carpet and paint

tomorrow get an estimate for moving stuff

Old 05-19-2010, 08:13 AM

860 posts, read 2,708,712 times
Well, I am getting the paint ready to dispose of by adding kitty litter to dry it out- latex paint at least. That is what I have been told to do with it. Of all the things I have done to get ready for my move, getting rid of paint, lawn car products, etc, has been the hardest to arrange. Habitat for Humanity says it will take my new paint and some household items but if they do not need my spray paint I am at a loss. I would take it with, but its not allowed on the moving truck.

I have probably donated 30 bags of stuff to the Goodwill! I have also given things to the people who have done work on my home. Its a good feeling to know your stuff is enjoyed by others.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:36 PM

124 posts, read 371,479 times
Today I'll be going through my desk and getting rid of papers and things that I don't want/need anymore. (I've been meaning to do this for a while. Hopefully since I posted it, it will get it done.)

Old 05-20-2010, 05:31 PM

9,471 posts, read 9,325,670 times
Default Good Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
I steam cleaned the carpets the other day. I worked yesterday hauling stuff from the attic and basement to the garage for a huge garage sale in a few weeks.....the first of a few, eventually selling everything including the house, etc.

When we move to the Florida house in just over a year or so I'm taking nothing except wife, some tools, and my laptop. Seriously. In that order.

We are committed to doing SOMETHING each day towards the big move. I'm told by everyone that the last year goes fast, so we want to stay ahead of it.

Frank
Frank, I knew you were a good guy and am not at all surprised that you put your wife FIRST on that list.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:36 PM

39 posts, read 124,581 times
I just found this posting and I needed a good laugh tonight! I packed my first three boxes today. I have no idea when I am moving yet, have yet to rent my house out, which I have not even listed. My husband starts a job on June 1st (yes, of this year) and I just started packing. Oh, I am literally moving from one coast to another.....Coastal Carolina to Coastal California!

Old 05-20-2010, 08:03 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,501,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Frank, I knew you were a good guy and am not at all surprised that you put your wife FIRST on that list.
Why, thank you!

Right now my garage is about half full for the big sale. My garage is about 24x36 ft, so there is a lot of stuff. I will be putting up a sign at the check out saying that there will be more sales as we get closer to the big move, and even the house is for sale......

Our Florida house is already furnished, so my goal is to really not have to move hardly anything. Some things like much of the furniture will have to wait longer, as well as the snowblower, mower, etc......but eventually all will go. One really has to think hard about what is worth moving. When you factor in the cost of moving stuff, the "worth it" list is really pretty small.

Frank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues