Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2010, 09:08 PM

39 posts, read 124,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
Why, thank you!

Right now my garage is about half full for the big sale. My garage is about 24x36 ft, so there is a lot of stuff. I will be putting up a sign at the check out saying that there will be more sales as we get closer to the big move, and even the house is for sale......

Our Florida house is already furnished, so my goal is to really not have to move hardly anything. Some things like much of the furniture will have to wait longer, as well as the snowblower, mower, etc......but eventually all will go. One really has to think hard about what is worth moving. When you factor in the cost of moving stuff, the "worth it" list is really pretty small.

Frank
Have you tried selling on craigslist? I have sold several of our big items on craiglist and have a few more things to list. It is free, you just have to be careful about who is contacting you. We had a big garage sale a week ago trying to sell our smaller items and plan on having another one in a week or so. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 11:04 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,490,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kksand View Post
Have you tried selling on craigslist? I have sold several of our big items on craiglist and have a few more things to list. It is free, you just have to be careful about who is contacting you. We had a big garage sale a week ago trying to sell our smaller items and plan on having another one in a week or so. Good luck!
Yes, I have. Love it. I plan on having my boys help me move some bigger stuff from the attic to the garage Saturday. I will then take pics and put some of the antiques, etc on Craigslist and another local site. If they sell, great. If not, then they hopefully will go during the sale.

#1 Rule- nothing gets put back into the house after the sale. All gets sold or given away.

Frank

Old 05-26-2010, 12:04 AM

10,102 posts, read 19,297,579 times
We found our new home today---a very nice rental home, fits in our budget.

Also, had Goodwill out here to haul off some stuff, old tables, boxes of books, etc.

We are planning a garage sale next weekend. I have a lot of old stuff that should fetch a few dollars, including a water softener that was never instaled, should get at least $100.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:14 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,311,677 times
I'm still throwing away paper from my office. Recycling what's not private. My shredder is getting a workout!

Old 05-26-2010, 06:36 PM

I think I'm going to put my house on the next episode of Hoarders

I saw an episode, Got Junk hauled off a lady's stuff, that's what I need

Old 05-27-2010, 04:02 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,311,677 times
Default The Hoards Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I think I'm going to put my house on the next episode of Hoarders

I saw an episode, Got Junk hauled off a lady's stuff, that's what I need
Doesn't that show make you want to get rid of every little thing you don't need????

Old 05-27-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Doesn't that show make you want to get rid of every little thing you don't need????

Yep! I don't want that to be my legacy---the crazy hoarder! I've a long ways to go before that, but at times I feel like them. I sort, prune, shred, every day, but it doesn't seem to make a dent. Well, what would it be if I didn't?

Those hoarders need an incentive, like moving, to kick their butts in gear. Otherwise, I do see how it can happen. It just builds up, but never like that, a health and fire hazard.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:00 PM

24 posts, read 91,832 times
Really enjoying this thread! After my dear mother-in-law passed away, we had to clear out the house. After finding the deed to the house mixed in with a box of old greeting cards, I decided that I didn't want my kids to have to go through all my old stuff. So, I spent a few weekends sorting/tossing/organizing old momentos and photos; shredding paperwork, etc. Then, I had two garage sales and gave away tons of stuff. Now my problem is wondering where something is and trying to remember if I gave it away or sold it!!

Old 05-28-2010, 09:06 PM

Welll, OP here. I started this thread just to get a support group of sorts going, if we post our daily accomplishments, it inspires us.

I've decided not to move, its too much. DH currently lives in another city, he got a job in another city about a year ago, we've tried to follow, it just got away from us. I can't do it, its too much for me alone. Let dh continue to live up there in a small apt and I stay here.

Word to the wise, sometimes you can't hack it, get with it now or you might be trapped like I am. I'm too old, my health is too poor, here I'm stuck, here I stay. Guess the house won!

Old 05-28-2010, 09:24 PM

87,957 posts, read 83,773,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
I start looking around while the show is still on, thinking about what I can get rid of.

I was never a hoarder, but I used to have a hard time getting rid of stuff. Now I can't wait to get rid of stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues