Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2010, 11:43 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times

Advertisements

Its pointless, with the mortgage market dried up, we couldn't sell our house if it looked like a model home and was priced rock bottom. I give up, we're just staying here.....................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 06:48 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,373,019 times
Default Help with Move

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Welll, OP here. I started this thread just to get a support group of sorts going, if we post our daily accomplishments, it inspires us.

I've decided not to move, its too much. DH currently lives in another city, he got a job in another city about a year ago, we've tried to follow, it just got away from us. I can't do it, its too much for me alone. Let dh continue to live up there in a small apt and I stay here.

Word to the wise, sometimes you can't hack it, get with it now or you might be trapped like I am. I'm too old, my health is too poor, here I'm stuck, here I stay. Guess the house won!
Can't your DH come and help you on some weekends...like this long one? It sounds like the whole move is just too much for you alone.

Old 05-29-2010, 07:01 PM

178 posts, read 540,493 times
Quote:
Welll, OP here. I started this thread just to get a support group of sorts going, if we post our daily accomplishments, it inspires us. I've decided not to move, its too much. DH currently lives in another city, he got a job in another city about a year ago, we've tried to follow, it just got away from us. I can't do it, its too much for me alone. Let dh continue to live up there in a small apt and I stay here. Word to the wise, sometimes you can't hack it, get with it now or you might be trapped like I am. I'm too old, my health is too poor, here I'm stuck, here I stay. Guess the house won!
Marylee, I felt exactly like you, my last move dragged on for a few years. Do you remember the famous self-help book "Think and Grow Rich" and the story about a gold miner stopping just three feet short of the mine? Being trapped in a place you don't want to be is worse than making one final big push and succeeding in getting what you really want. Figure out what you really want and make it happen. You can do it!

Old 05-30-2010, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac Farm View Post
Marylee, I felt exactly like you, my last move dragged on for a few years. Do you remember the famous self-help book "Think and Grow Rich" and the story about a gold miner stopping just three feet short of the mine? Being trapped in a place you don't want to be is worse than making one final big push and succeeding in getting what you really want. Figure out what you really want and make it happen. You can do it!

Ok, I had a little meltdown, but getting back on the horse.

Over the long weekend dh and ds have helped a lot. Also, tomorrow we scope out our new rental house. then I can figure out what exactly to take, and jetison the rest.He's already turned in his move out notice for his apt, and we move into our new home Jul 15. so now, things are moving.

You know, I did the hard part, all the sorting, pruning, etc. Now its just a matter of packing, moving, and we're done. I'm collecting boxes, also, you can buy moving boxes at Costco. I'm starting to wrap and pack dishes, etc. This show is on the road at last!

Now, to figure out what to do with 5 cats? Probably rent an ac van and haul them there...........

Old 05-31-2010, 01:49 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,813,054 times
Boy oh boy!
My wife and I threw out a TON of stuff from our tiny apt-getting ready for our Jan. 2011 move to Vegas.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:22 PM

Default Bravo!

Quote:
Ok, I had a little meltdown, but getting back on the horse.

Over the long weekend dh and ds have helped a lot. Also, tomorrow we scope out our new rental house. then I can figure out what exactly to take, and jetison the rest.He's already turned in his move out notice for his apt, and we move into our new home Jul 15. so now, things are moving.

You know, I did the hard part, all the sorting, pruning, etc. Now its just a matter of packing, moving, and we're done. I'm collecting boxes, also, you can buy moving boxes at Costco. I'm starting to wrap and pack dishes, etc. This show is on the road at last!

Now, to figure out what to do with 5 cats? Probably rent an ac van and haul them there...........
Excellent! Glad things are back on track!

Old 05-31-2010, 10:38 PM

Today I came across a notebook used for our last move. I had painstakingly labeled each box and the contents. What on earth did I haul all that crap half-way across the country for? Partly because it was a corporate move, and partly because I thought all that junk was somehow important.

This time its on our nickel, except for a small reimbursement, so I'm ditching everything not of high value. We will have a garage sale next weekend, and about 90% of my kitchen stuff goes. I can buy new at Walmart for less than what I'd pay to move it.

My biggest problem now is the kids, or that is, their stuff. I spent almost 3 months sorting their junk, while they were at school. I made many runs to Goodwill while they weren't home to get rid of stuff they'd never notice missing, anyways. I mean, they would aruge over any little thing, including clothes that didn't fit, broken toys, etc.

But now they are home, and their closets are filling up again. Its simply amazing how it fills up, and I'm sick of arguing over little pieces of crap they won't part with. Well, they go to camp next week. I have a bad back, and injured my thumb in a door accident a few days ago. Now I have all that stuff to sort and argue with? No way...

While they are at camp I will hire my cleaning service and instruct them to toss everything on the floor, period. I spent 3 months sorting that crap with my bad back, they trashed it out in less than a week. Enough is enough, I'm not arguing about little bits of trash, hire someone to haul it out they won't even notice it missing, but would argue me to death to keep it.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:22 PM

983 posts, read 4,442,007 times
I am a very organized mover so I start about three weeks in advance! I always start with giving away stuff I don't want or need to charity like Goodwill or Salvation Army. Better yet whoever will come pick up.

My move day was this past Saturday so by the time the movers came to load up my U boxes I was sitting around bored tapping my feet.

After my give away purge, I then started with the things I never use like my CD collection and VHS collection I refuse to get rid of . I just can't let go.

Then since it's summer I started packing all my winter stuff...boots, sweaters, etc. I know I won't need them for at least another four months.

After that I go to what I call junk drawers and junk cabinets...how often do we go in those drawers. The day before my move all I had left to pack up was the kitchen.

Now I am still in my apt until tomorrow so it's just me, my laptop, and my clothes...oh and my air mattress. So all I have to do is load up the car and hit the road. I would be too stressed to have the movers come the last day I have to be out. And thank God for hulu t.v. on the internet .

Old 06-01-2010, 07:57 AM

178 posts, read 540,493 times
Quote:
...What on earth did I haul all that crap half-way across the country for? Partly because it was a corporate move, and partly because I thought all that junk was somehow important. .....
Enough is enough, I'm not arguing about little bits of trash, hire someone to haul it out they won't even notice it missing, but would argue me to death to keep it. ...
Go girl go!
I keep whittling down the number of possessions during every move, and miss almost none of it, except for a few books I wished I'd kept. Not stressing over it though. Truth is, life is simpler and easier without excess stuff.

Doing whatever you need to do to make the move easier on yourself is the best way to go. Good luck!

Old 06-01-2010, 08:43 AM

Taking Junk Across Country

At my last move, I had just had gall bladder surgery 3 wks. before, so I couldn't lift or pull stuff out of closets. It was a corp. move, so almost everything went with us, except for clothes I could easily pull out and donate. I have used almost NONE of the junk I brought with me and since this will be on our $ and to a smaller place, it's GOT to GO. I'm pulling out stuff everyday from closets. It seems to be easier to part with a couple of things at a time instead of all at once. Less traumatic that way! Stacking it all up in a clean corner of the basement for yard sale or donation. I'm making a "fragile" box so things don't get broken before the yard sale.

I convinced DH to go thru his clothes last week. He gave away a ton of stuff--things that haven't fitted for ages!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues