U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 10:18 AM

9,654 posts, read 15,782,006 times

Advertisements

We're gearing up to have our first ever garage sale and I would appreciate suggestions!

Here's some ideas given me:

pricing---make the price an even amount, $1.00, not 99 cents, to avoid fiddling with change.

get several one dollar bills from the bank, along with coins, for change

have all items priced, many people are hesitant to start the haggling process, set a beginning and expect to have some bargaining, so leave some wiggle room

Any more ideas welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 10:25 AM

808 posts, read 2,900,356 times
The last garage sale we had, we had a price table.

All the kids clothes were $1.00 each

All kids books 50 cents each, adult books $1.00 each

All DVD's were $2.50 each

All clothes on rack priced as marked

Then on a different table, things were individually priced. It worked well for us.

There's still haggling involved. The purpose for us is to get rid of stuff, mostly clothes and toys from our 4 girls. After the sale, all the remaining stuff gets donated to Goodwill for a tax write off.

In June we plan on having another sale. We will use a similar set up as last time. Good luck!

Old 04-19-2010, 10:41 AM

3,079 posts, read 961,044 times
Here are a few of my suggestions:

1. Get more than "several one dollar bills". If you can, start out with at least 50, along with fives and tens. People will not have exact change, and will be handing you large bills for a small purchase. And GUARD YOUR MONEY!! Do NOT use a box. Instead, use a fanny pack so you have the money on your person at all times.

2. Advertise, advertise, advertise!!!

3. Group like things together, such as all kitchen items in one spot, all DVDs, VHS tapes and CDs in one spot, etc.

4. In my experience, clothes do not sell well, unless they are baby or childrens clothes. I always donate adult clothes, and take the tax write-off.

5. Try not to have your sale on a holiday weekend.

6. Expect early birds. If you don't want them, make sure to put "NO EARLY BIRDS" in your ads and on your signs.

7. If the sale will be in your yard (as opposed to in the garage or on the driveway), make sure to cut the grass a couple of days before the sale.

8. Be sure any pets (especially dogs) are confined to another part of the yard, or in the house.

9. Put your more interesting items, or large pieces of furniture at the end of the driveway to "lure" shoppers in. The same with lawn mowers and other "manly" things....you'll attract more male shoppers this way!

10. Make sure you either put away or cover items that aren't for sale. If you don't, that will be the one item a buyer wants. Use old sheets or blankets to cover thing up, or mark items with "NOT FOR SALE" signs.

There are plenty more tips. Just Google "Yard Sale Tips".

Old 04-19-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazinGracie View Post
Here are a few of my suggestions:

1. Get more than "several one dollar bills". If you can, start out with at least 50, along with fives and tens. People will not have exact change, and will be handing you large bills for a small purchase. And GUARD YOUR MONEY!! Do NOT use a box. Instead, use a fanny pack so you have the money on your person at all times.

2. Advertise, advertise, advertise!!!

3. Group like things together, such as all kitchen items in one spot, all DVDs, VHS tapes and CDs in one spot, etc.

4. In my experience, clothes do not sell well, unless they are baby or childrens clothes. I always donate adult clothes, and take the tax write-off.

5. Try not to have your sale on a holiday weekend.

6. Expect early birds. If you don't want them, make sure to put "NO EARLY BIRDS" in your ads and on your signs.

7. If the sale will be in your yard (as opposed to in the garage or on the driveway), make sure to cut the grass a couple of days before the sale.

8. Be sure any pets (especially dogs) are confined to another part of the yard, or in the house.

9. Put your more interesting items, or large pieces of furniture at the end of the driveway to "lure" shoppers in. The same with lawn mowers and other "manly" things....you'll attract more male shoppers this way!

10. Make sure you either put away or cover items that aren't for sale. If you don't, that will be the one item a buyer wants. Use old sheets or blankets to cover thing up, or mark items with "NOT FOR SALE" signs.

There are plenty more tips. Just Google "Yard Sale Tips".
I just gave away 4 fanny packs to Goodwill See, the minute you get rid of something, it has a use!

Thanks for all your tips and I will google "yard Sale Tips"

Old 04-20-2010, 12:06 AM

28 posts, read 93,445 times
My friends and I had a garage sale five months ago. And since we had our individuals for-sale items and had to separate our "earnings" at the end of the day, we had to make sure the money doesn't get all "mixed up." We decided on color-coordinated price labels for our items. Like all the items from me had pink price tags, all items from Friend#2 had blue price tags, and so on and so forth. We made sure to take off the price tags from the sold items and gathered the tags together. We also wrote on the tags if the customer haggled for the price and bought a certain item for a reduced amount. At the end of the day, we totaled each one's earnings based on the price tags gathered and divided the money.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickpugh View Post
My friends and I had a garage sale five months ago. And since we had our individuals for-sale items and had to separate our "earnings" at the end of the day, we had to make sure the money doesn't get all "mixed up." We decided on color-coordinated price labels for our items. Like all the items from me had pink price tags, all items from Friend#2 had blue price tags, and so on and so forth. We made sure to take off the price tags from the sold items and gathered the tags together. We also wrote on the tags if the customer haggled for the price and bought a certain item for a reduced amount. At the end of the day, we totaled each one's earnings based on the price tags gathered and divided the money.

sounds like a great way to lose friends!

I'm going solo, I'd rather keep my relationships intact!

Old 04-20-2010, 02:26 PM

15,254 posts, read 16,760,818 times
If you want to avoid haggling right off the bat, you can say something like "Since we just opened, I'm not going to lower the price just yet, but feel free to swing back by at 11. If it's still here, I'll sell it to you for half price then."

We always have a free box or table--full of cheap toys, plastic cups, coffee mugs, belts, etc. It's easier than putting .05 or .10 tags on it all.

One year, when my mom was selling a bunch of furniture, we arranged a "living room" in the front yard with a couch, chair, coffee table with books on it, etc. It was fun and we sold big chunks of the arrangement at a time.

By the middle of the afternoon, gather up everything you haven't sold and still don't want and put a "free" sign on it. Where we live, it will all be gone by the end of the day.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:29 PM

933 posts, read 3,113,942 times
I am a BIG fan of having different price point areas rather than pricing individual items.
I set out tables, (or even use bed sheets) and have a $1.00 spot, $2.00, $3.00 & $5.00 area. I price all books at $1. All shoes $2. All Clothes $1 each. Things like lamps, blenders, etc $5.
As things slow down, I might move things from the $2 spot to the $1 area, etc.

This works great for a lot of items.

Good luck!

Old 04-20-2010, 04:00 PM

7,357 posts, read 12,888,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickpugh View Post
Rick, another way to do that, especially if you don't have different color tags, is put your initials above the price. Have a piece of paper with the cashier, putting the price of the sold item under the right person's initials.
Another deal on the money, go to the bank and get a roll of nickels, dimes and quarters. That's just $17. You'll always find another use for the change left over after the sale. A neighbor was all set up the night before and had early birds show up an hour and a half before it was supposed to start. When they knocked on the door, she opened it and told them she would be right out...at the time she put in the ad. lol Two of the ladies did come back at the right time, one didn't.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Rick, another way to do that, especially if you don't have different color tags, is put your initials above the price. Have a piece of paper with the cashier, putting the price of the sold item under the right person's initials.
Another deal on the money, go to the bank and get a roll of nickels, dimes and quarters. That's just $17. You'll always find another use for the change left over after the sale. A neighbor was all set up the night before and had early birds show up an hour and a half before it was supposed to start. When they knocked on the door, she opened it and told them she would be right out...at the time she put in the ad. lol Two of the ladies did come back at the right time, one didn't.

People coming early is a major gripe of mine in anything move-related. I've had not only garage-sale people come early, but also movers, repair people, etc. There you are, at 6 am, just getting yourself straightened around, getting dressed, coffee, etc, and a herd of people pounding on your door. then you're supposed to feel apologetic you're not ready, when they came an hour + early! They're the ones who don't know how to keep an appointment!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues