Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 07:42 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
Where do you find the plug in mini coolers at? All I've seen are those really big ones that fit better in vans than a small sedan.
I googled mini car fridge or mini cooler for meds

I found this on amazon. Not sure what your needs are but take a look at this one.

Amazon.com: Medi-Fridge IIx Micro-Refrigerator- Now Stores 2 PENS or 6 VAILS - with Solid State Preset Thermostat: Refrigerates Diabetic Insulin, Byetta and Other Injectable Medicine Vials or Pens. Portable & Lightweight. Includes Both House Current
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 09:37 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,859,127 times
Thanks for all the info on the plug in coolers. I looked on Amazon at the different ones then found a soft sided Koolatron cooler that looks like it fits the bill. It was $89, but I did some searching online and found Kmart same model for $59 + free shipping! I ordered it last night and got an email from Kmart this morning saying they shipped it out. I'm moving in 3 weeks so glad it will get here in time!

Old 04-28-2010, 09:19 AM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the info on the plug in coolers. I looked on Amazon at the different ones then found a soft sided Koolatron cooler that looks like it fits the bill. It was $89, but I did some searching online and found Kmart same model for $59 + free shipping! I ordered it last night and got an email from Kmart this morning saying they shipped it out. I'm moving in 3 weeks so glad it will get here in time!

Glad you found a solution

Now, could you post or dm the link for this gizmo? I take refrigerated medication, too---Enbrel. I usually only take 1-2 doses with me and a kid's lunch pack with cold pack works great. However, we are planning to move this summer and your little cooler would come in handy to transport the 3-month's supply they mail order sends me!

Old 04-28-2010, 02:45 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,859,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Glad you found a solution

Now, could you post or dm the link for this gizmo? I take refrigerated medication, too---Enbrel. I usually only take 1-2 doses with me and a kid's lunch pack with cold pack works great. However, we are planning to move this summer and your little cooler would come in handy to transport the 3-month's supply they mail order sends me!
Here's the Kmart link. Apparently it was on sale when I got it because its showing as $40 more now. Amazon has it for $89. You might want to just search through all the Koolatrons on Amazon because they also have larger hardsided coolers and some that are specifically tiny medical coolers. I chose the softsided because it wasn't overly big or heavy but still allows room for my medications, some makeup (which also melts) and space for drinks and a few snacks. It also got good reviews online.

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_1...v000000000D13P

Amazon.com: Koolatron 12V Travel Cooler - D25, Dark Grey: Home & Garden

Amazon.com: Koolatron 14-Quart Soft-Sided Electric Travel Cooler, Dark Grey: Home & Garden

Old 04-30-2010, 12:46 PM

1,638 posts, read 4,548,071 times
Quote:
Seems like this would be an obvious thing but how do you move several containers of medication that must stay below 60 degs on a move that will probably take 4 days? The first day is easy with freezer gel packs, but the motels we will stay at probably won't have freezers to refreeze the gel packs. I hate to buy ice 3 times especially since most of the bag would be thrown away since I have only a small cooler. Too I also worry about the meds getting wet from real ice melting. I know when I've gone on picnics for instance and put stuff inside ziplock bags in the cooler the cold has burst holes in the bags and gotten food wet. Hence my hesitation to put the meds in bags and then down in ice.

Also just how cold does it get inside a cooler with ice? I mean I can't let the med freeze either.
What are the meds? Are they injections or oral suspensions and how critical are they?

It's fairly unusual to specify below 60F, mostly drugs either require refrigeration below 20F or to be kept below 80F . Are you certain it says 60F and not 60% humidity?
Where do you keep them at home?

I would ask your pharmacist.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:49 PM

1,638 posts, read 4,548,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upthecreekgotapaddle View Post
What about a cooler with dry ice?
Eeek, dry ice is a controlled substance and can cause severe burns.
You should see the perfromance we have to go through to get it in order to transport frozen samples.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:06 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Does it come with an AC-DC converter so you can plug it in both in the car and in a hotel room? If not, you may need to get one unless you're sure all your rooms will have a refrigerator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues