U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-30-2010, 01:32 PM
 
2,759 posts, read 3,416,049 times
Reputation: 3087

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
Getting really nervous about this I'm such a procrastinator. I'm embarrassed because my father remarked he's surprised I haven't gotten everything packed yet since I keep telling him of all the stuff I'm taking to Goodwill (and the dumpster). I'm embarrassed I've done hardly anything well other than throw tons of stuff away everything from my once beloved rock and mineral collection, my video tapes, old records and am donating over half my book collection and clothing. He's like how much could you possibly have in a studio apartment? lol Don't even go there.
Maybe you'll get an adreneline rush soon and start packing like crazy.

Congratulations on your move. Hope everything will go well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-30-2010, 07:43 PM
 
Location: Staten Island, New York
3,681 posts, read 6,040,148 times
Reputation: 3621
I hope you are donating the rocks and minerals to a school or museum!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2010, 08:20 PM
 
1,054 posts, read 3,324,815 times
Reputation: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
I hope you are donating the rocks and minerals to a school or museum!!!
Nope went to Goodwill. No museum here would be interested in it. I don't have time to call up schools and doubt they would be interested anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2010, 03:27 AM
 
Location: Coastal Georgia
36,992 posts, read 45,446,972 times
Reputation: 61501
I'm packing my brains out every day, but I'm still up at this hour stewing about not being ready. I'm also worrying that no one will call about the extra furniture I have to sell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2010, 01:50 PM
 
302 posts, read 525,494 times
Reputation: 381
my realtor kept saying "don't get excited, don't pack yet" because the market was so low and getting financing was so hard (summer of 08) Three weeks before we moved we found our new house and started packing 2 weeks before the move. It took me three months to get over the fact that we'd moved across the country!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2010, 04:33 PM
 
1,054 posts, read 3,324,815 times
Reputation: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof11 View Post
It took me three months to get over the fact that we'd moved across the country!
Did you ever have deja vu type moments once you moved where you were almost in shock being in such a different state? I had that for years when I moved here because the culture was so different. My friend from the same town moved here and said she had the same "I can't believe I am here" and "What am I doing here?" moments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2010, 07:27 AM
 
Location: In the woods
3,315 posts, read 8,780,227 times
Reputation: 1510
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
Did you ever have deja vu type moments once you moved where you were almost in shock being in such a different state? I had that for years when I moved here because the culture was so different. My friend from the same town moved here and said she had the same "I can't believe I am here" and "What am I doing here?" moments.
Heck, I think that happens even in the same state? I moved about an hour from my previous home but in a very different environment (mountains, rural, small historic town vs suburbs of major US city). I still have those moments of "being here" especially as I get used to the new community and manuevering around the basics (i.e., finding the supermarket, my favorite bookstore, home improvement stores).

BTW, I just dropped in on this thread and have enjoyed it thoroughly! I hope things are moving along well with you. I recently sold a house I had lived in for 20+ yrs and I couldn't believe the stuff that was in there! So many days I just had to keep saying to myself, "There IS an end to this." You're smart to get rid of what you no longer need. I did that but find that I still have stuff that can go. And towards the end, there were a few boxes marked "Need to Sort" where I basically (due to time) just threw stuff in and taped up (of course those boxes no longer exist now).

Now that I went through all that I never want to live like that again --the disorganized closets, boxes in the basement with unknown things, etc. It is so liberating to get rid of the old and live with only what we really want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2010, 03:00 PM
 
1,054 posts, read 3,324,815 times
Reputation: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
Heck, I think that happens even in the same state? I moved about an hour from my previous home but in a very different environment (mountains, rural, small historic town vs suburbs of major US city). I still have those moments of "being here" especially as I get used to the new community and manuevering around the basics (i.e., finding the supermarket, my favorite bookstore, home improvement stores).

BTW, I just dropped in on this thread and have enjoyed it thoroughly! I hope things are moving along well with you. I recently sold a house I had lived in for 20+ yrs and I couldn't believe the stuff that was in there! So many days I just had to keep saying to myself, "There IS an end to this." You're smart to get rid of what you no longer need. I did that but find that I still have stuff that can go. And towards the end, there were a few boxes marked "Need to Sort" where I basically (due to time) just threw stuff in and taped up (of course those boxes no longer exist now).

Now that I went through all that I never want to live like that again --the disorganized closets, boxes in the basement with unknown things, etc. It is so liberating to get rid of the old and live with only what we really want.
Wow that's surprising you had that feeling in same state, but I guess towns can vary throughout some states. My friend and I both moved here a few years apart and from time to time we talk about the oddness we have felt of being here. I always felt what is this small town girl doing out here all alone in this fast paced Western town where nothing at all is like my old town. In past few years I pretty much quit feeling that. But now when I visit my old town I feel like a Martian landing in this strange place. I've changed, but the town is still the same. Now I'm moving back to that old town out of necessity. Guess I will go through the same sort of feelings all over again.

As far as the packing its almost done. Then I have cleaning to do. I'm still throwing stuff away. lol Heck I found love letters from two different relationships and holiday cards I'd saved from everyone. So much stuff! I'll be moving in with family till I can find my own place so I will be moving a second time and am going to not unpack too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2010, 03:03 PM
 
1,054 posts, read 3,324,815 times
Reputation: 813
One other thing... how does one pack exercise equipment such as dumbells and ankle weights. Sure they are small and could all go in a box, but that's going to be one heavy box. I think I'm putting my resistance bands in my duffle bag though so I can work out in the hotel rooms each night along the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2010, 03:53 PM
 
433 posts, read 989,587 times
Reputation: 389
I was just looking at my dumbbells and wondering the same thing! I think I'll put no more than one in each box, surrounded by lighter weight things such as pillows or towels. In case the weight shifts I won't put anything breakable in those boxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:23 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top