Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2010, 12:39 PM

124 posts, read 371,503 times

Advertisements

I'm just wondering if anybody has experience with moving from the West Coast I'm planning on making the move in a couple of years (think June 2012) it's a long ways in the future I know; but I figure if I start to plan now I won't be rushed at the end.

How did the cross country move go? What would you do to make it less stressful?

How did you deal if your family was being negative about your move?

Any other infformation you want to give a moving virgin like me? (I've only moved once in my life so I'm new at this)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 11:37 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,686,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvwriting View Post
I'm just wondering if anybody has experience with moving from the West Coast I'm planning on making the move in a couple of years (think June 2012) it's a long ways in the future I know; but I figure if I start to plan now I won't be rushed at the end.

How did the cross country move go? What would you do to make it less stressful?

How did you deal if your family was being negative about your move?

Any other infformation you want to give a moving virgin like me? (I've only moved once in my life so I'm new at this)
Yes . I moved from the West to the East. Alone.

The drive was great. No traffic or accidents or weather problems. I left in September.

It was not stressful * except * my cat was in the car and well thats a lonnnnnnnng story lol...

I always looked for gas stations at half full. Then I had a pretty good selection by checking the road signs....

I always gassed up , went to the bathroom and jumped back in my car.... Road trips are different . You can stop here and there. This move I drove straight across.

I had no family issues about moving.

Keep an eye on the road markers if your car is doing anything strange. That way ( along with your GPS ) you can give an exact location if you get stranded.

Make sure you get AAA or some road side assistance. Don't carry huge wads of cash and when getting gas only dig out the money you need to fill the tank...

Old 05-03-2010, 02:22 PM

Thank you for the information you've given me wannaliveinGreenville! I'm actually intrested in the cat story. (although I probably won't be moving with any animals.)

Old 05-03-2010, 03:25 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,351,801 times
We moved about eight months ago from California, 2,000 miles to Missouri and did so with two cats. The purpose for our move was to buy a retirement home which we ultimately did on the shore of a large and beautiful lake.

We had already contacted packers and movers so once we found the house we wanted and our offer was accepted we began planning to arrive in MO several days before the scheduled closing. We were pre-approved for the mortgage by our bank at a low, locked-in interest rate so we felt pretty secure and had about 25 days to make the move back.

One of the first things we did was decide what we didn't want to move including a lot of furniture; most of it in fact. So we gave some to children and friends and donated the rest. The same went for a lot of business/professional clothes and other household effects. In the end we moved with maybe a third of what we owned and it was just those things we wanted to keep. Moving day came and our belongings were packed and loaded. We'd already packed the car and had stayed at a hotel for a couple of nights. We were taking seven days to drive back in a fairly leisurely fashion and arranged for our goods to be delivered and unloaded two days after we closed. Until then we stayed at a hotel nearby.

The trip was uneventful, we saw a lot of countryside and made some unscheduled, short stops, to do some sightseeing. Now for the cats. The first day we gave them sedatives recommended by our vet and kept them in soft-sided carriers in the back seat. They complained bitterly for the first several hours. All the sedatives did was make them woozy and sound funny. The second day we abandoned the pills and after the first hour they quieted down and went to sleep with only an occasional; complaint thereafter. That was the pattern the rest of the travel days.

The biggest "hardship" was finding the cats every morning and getting them back into their carriers since we gave them the run of our hotel rooms. We'd made advance reservations for the entire trip after making sure the hotels accepted pets. Usually there was an extra $10 cleaning charge.

We've now been in our home seven and a half months and the cats love it here. They're indoor cats and have pretty much taken over the sun room as their domain. They love sitting at the windows watching the squirrels, numerous birds, chipmunks and cottontails in the yard and have adjusted very well. As we've purchased furniture room by room there's always been plenty to excite their curiosity because of the "changes."

Altogether it's been a satisfying experience for us, cats included. Hope this helps and hope your move goes as well!

Oh, yeah! Family! Between us we left six adult children and seven grandchildren in California. You'd best believe we heard about it. However, the older grandchildren can't wait to come spend time with us on the lake. We'll fly back shortly and visit everyone. It's our lives, which are finite, and our futures for as long as they last. This was our decision and we have no regrets.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:49 PM

104 posts, read 292,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
We moved about eight months ago from California, 2,000 miles to Missouri and did so with two cats. The purpose for our move was to buy a retirement home which we ultimately did on the shore of a large and beautiful lake.

We had already contacted packers and movers so once we found the house we wanted and our offer was accepted we began planning to arrive in MO several days before the scheduled closing. We were pre-approved for the mortgage by our bank at a low, locked-in interest rate so we felt pretty secure and had about 25 days to make the move back.

One of the first things we did was decide what we didn't want to move including a lot of furniture; most of it in fact. So we gave some to children and friends and donated the rest. The same went for a lot of business/professional clothes and other household effects. In the end we moved with maybe a third of what we owned and it was just those things we wanted to keep. Moving day came and our belongings were packed and loaded. We'd already packed the car and had stayed at a hotel for a couple of nights. We were taking seven days to drive back in a fairly leisurely fashion and arranged for our goods to be delivered and unloaded two days after we closed. Until then we stayed at a hotel nearby.

The trip was uneventful, we saw a lot of countryside and made some unscheduled, short stops, to do some sightseeing. Now for the cats. The first day we gave them sedatives recommended by our vet and kept them in soft-sided carriers in the back seat. They complained bitterly for the first several hours. All the sedatives did was make them woozy and sound funny. The second day we abandoned the pills and after the first hour they quieted down and went to sleep with only an occasional; complaint thereafter. That was the pattern the rest of the travel days.

The biggest "hardship" was finding the cats every morning and getting them back into their carriers since we gave them the run of our hotel rooms. We'd made advance reservations for the entire trip after making sure the hotels accepted pets. Usually there was an extra $10 cleaning charge.

We've now been in our home seven and a half months and the cats love it here. They're indoor cats and have pretty much taken over the sun room as their domain. They love sitting at the windows watching the squirrels, numerous birds, chipmunks and cottontails in the yard and have adjusted very well. As we've purchased furniture room by room there's always been plenty to excite their curiosity because of the "changes."

Altogether it's been a satisfying experience for us, cats included. Hope this helps and hope your move goes as well!

Oh, yeah! Family! Between us we left six adult children and seven grandchildren in California. You'd best believe we heard about it. However, the older grandchildren can't wait to come spend time with us on the lake. We'll fly back shortly and visit everyone. It's our lives, which are finite, and our futures for as long as they last. This was our decision and we have no regrets.
I enjoyed reading your post Especially the part about the cats. We are moving from AZ to TN just shy of four months from today. I moved here with no pets and over the last 6 years i rescued 4 of them~yes~4! I took on that responsibility then and will continue to be their for them *smile* so they are coming with us on this long trip. Oh my ~ I know we will get through it ~but the thought of this is not a delightful one

Old 05-03-2010, 03:55 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,351,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raya22 View Post
I enjoyed reading your post Especially the part about the cats. We are moving from AZ to TN just shy of four months from today. I moved here with no pets and over the last 6 years i rescued 4 of them~yes~4! I took on that responsibility then and will continue to be their for them *smile* so they are coming with us on this long trip. Oh my ~ I know we will get through it ~but the thought of this is not a delightful one
Good luck! It can certainly be an adventure. But enjoy your new home. TN is a beautiful, green state!

Old 05-04-2010, 10:32 AM

Thanks for the story Curmudgeon I loved reading it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues