U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2010, 07:30 PM

1,999 posts, read 9,425,665 times

Advertisements

I have looked at movingscam.com, but is there a ranking or rating system for moving companies other than reading epinions.com? I can't seem to find one.

My area has few major moving companies here. Anyone have any suggestions as to how to find a good one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 06:16 PM

521 posts, read 3,930,061 times
Last August, J.D Powers and Associates rated Mayflower Transit the #1 moving company in the U.S. You can read a copy of their summary here. Mayflower Transit LLC rated #1 Full-Service Moving Company in latest J.D. Powers Survey

Check here for some tips on How to Find a Reputable Mover

Finally, you can check any licensed interstate household goods carrier or move brokers service history at the Federal Motor Carriers Safety Administration' customer complaint database at their Protect Your Move website. Be sure to read Your Rights and Responsibilities When You Move in the left sidebar.

Where are you moving from and to?

Last edited by RikkiTikki; 05-08-2010 at 06:26 PM..

Old 05-09-2010, 05:14 AM

Not sure yet, but looks like from the Midwest where it's cold alot--and lacking sun about 6 months of the year--to sunny, hot, dry Arizona.
Thank you for the links!!!

Interesting that Mayflower came out as #1, but, after reading reviews on different movers on epinions.com, it seems that it is each individual moving company that sub-contracts to the major organizations that you have to judge (which is really hard to do as people just put the individual company under the major organization umbrella, like United or Mayflower or Atlas ). So, one sub-contractor that works for, say, United, could be excellent and give great service and another one stinks, steals your stuff and lies to the customers. It really can be a crapshoot often.

***I can tell you that I used Wald Mayflower Relocation Services moving from Houston to Chicago, and had a negative experience: stolen items, manager lied to me about storing my things there for a year then called and insisted I get my stuff after about 2 months (which put me in a terrible position) and other complaints. However, in fairness to Mayflower itself, maybe this is just one bad apple in their bunch. Do NOT use Wald Relocation Services--which is one of Wald's companies billing itself as "Wald Mayflower" I think--in Houston at all. Get on the net and do your research first on any company you use. If I had just done that--or even looked at epinions.com--I would have found Wald is complained about alot. Stupid me, yes? You live, you learn.

Last edited by TootsieWootsie; 05-09-2010 at 05:26 AM..

Old 05-09-2010, 06:44 AM

26,346 posts, read 82,824,830 times
I can't imagine they're that much different at the high end. Make sure they are insured (bonded?).

As far as the movers are concerned, they're all about the same. The supervisor or driver or moving manager will drive down to skid row and look for three sober guys to help him out. Comforting thought, especially when you realize these are the guys that will be moving your (wife's) underwear drawer.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:19 AM

If the intra-or interstate mover you're hiring does any work with the federal government (i.e. the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) or General Services Administration (GSA)), new contracting and procurement regulations now require that the “transportation service provider” (mover) complete a detailed background check on any workers used in their domestic or international service. This applies to both contractors and employees – regardless of the whether they're at the low end or the high end of the pricing spectrum.

Most of the major van lines (and their agents) and national, state, or intentional moving industry associations operate or participate in some version of a Certified Professional Mover program which teaches proper inventory, handling, and claims prevention techniques to new candidates.

Since it's more prevalent for most fly-by-night movers, renegade owner-operators, and independent small business owners operating on a shoestring budget to hire itinerant laborers, you run risk of having unsavory characters in your home if you shop for the cheapest price.

Do your homework first!

Old 05-09-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikkiTikki View Post
If the intra-or interstate mover you're hiring does any work with the federal government (i.e. the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) or General Services Administration (GSA)), new contracting and procurement regulations now require that the “transportation service provider” (mover) complete a detailed background check on any workers used in their domestic or international service. This applies to both contractors and employees – regardless of the whether they're at the low end or the high end of the pricing spectrum.

Most of the major van lines (and their agents) and national, state, or intentional moving industry associations operate or participate in some version of a Certified Professional Mover program which teaches proper inventory, handling, and claims prevention techniques to new candidates.

Since it's more prevalent for most fly-by-night movers, renegade owner-operators, and independent small business owners operating on a shoestring budget to hire itinerant laborers, you run risk of having unsavory characters in your home if you shop for the cheapest price.

Do your homework first!

Thank you for that. The photo above...well, Houston was loaded with illegal workers--not that they were bad people--just broke (and we have all been there at one time or another usually). However, I would like to know I am dealing with someone who won't be stealing my stuff.
The guys from Wald I posted about were with that company for a long time, and they were really speedy packing...which did not prevent them from stealing my fan. Heaven only knows what else they might have taken. But you could tell they were experienced beyond a few years. I could never have packed up my dishes that fast...ever.

Old 05-09-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikkiTikki View Post

Do your homework first!

I guess what you are saying is to go with a major van line like United, Atlas, Mayflower, etc. I see they have to stand up to higher standards. I get you.

If I rent a UHaul and they find workers for me to help pack my good china and breakables and move some of the finer furniture--bad idea? Sounds like I might get some skid row bum types????: I would like to hear an opinion from someone who knows the industry.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:04 PM

Some temp labor services now perform background checks. Having a clean employment record and proper ID, however, doesn't necessarily mean that the workers sent to your home have professional packing or moving skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues