Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2010, 01:39 PM

8 posts, read 32,135 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be moving across the country and I've been looking into all the options. Unfortunately I have a ford explorer which means that U-Haul won't rent a trailer for me to pull behind my suv ...

Are there any other options for places to rent trailers from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 07:05 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
Is there any way you could do a penske truck and a car hauler ? I mean that is how i moved from florida to another state and it did not cost me anywhere near what uhaul wanted to charge me and I also got a triple a discount . I know it is hard to do a cross country move but do check out what a truck and car hauler from Penske would cost .

Old 05-10-2010, 07:19 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
yeah, Explorer Sport Trac here, Uhaul is odd.
I like Ryder Rents, they do not care about Explorers, cheaper than Uhaul as well.
You might want to look into purchasing a trailer, in some areas you can sell them for twice your purchase price when you are done. I have a friend who buys up a half dozen and sells them for twice on the west central coast only 300 miles away.

On Uhaul, you could pick it up with a different truck. Check the odd uhaul dealer, some do not enforce the rule as much. Try storage yards, some rent trucks and trailers.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:21 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
If you do rent, check and see what drop off point gives you a cheaper rate. Some are in dead zones and they charge more because the trailer will never leave again.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:36 AM

9 posts, read 81,020 times
No, U-Haul still will not allow Ford Explorers to tow their equipment. Would a car top carrier hold enough stuff? You can purchase those many places. Some are soft and some are hard material.
Or would a U-Box work? U-Haul has something called U-Box now. This container is brought out, packed by you, picked up and shipped to your destination.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:12 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
If you buy a trailer, don't you have to worry about registering it?

I've been debating between pulling a small U-Haul trailer with the 4Runner vs renting the smallest Penske truck and caravaning with the 4Runner. U-Haul trailers don't inspire confidence based on the stories I've heard. U-Haul's two smallest trailers don't even have brakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues