U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2010, 09:04 AM

9,657 posts, read 15,787,616 times

Advertisements

We are looking at renting out our house and renting a house in our new location.

We're looking to rent our home, rather than sell it, because the market is so soft right now. We could rent it out much more quickly than selling it. Also, we're looking at renting a home in our new location while our credit "heals", also, we won't have to come up with a big down payment for a purchase.

Right now our main priority is geting our home in show order. I the past we've always moved out, then fixed up the home to show, but those were corporate moves and intermin housing was provided. This time we're on our own. Our company will pay $5000 to move items, but no intermin housing, and won't pay for storage.

We're thinking of getting a small storage unit in our new location and moving at least some of our stuff, at the company's expense (although we will have to re-move it again once we get up there), but at least get some of this stuff out of here so we can start showing it.We've pruned and sorted until we're silly, and it still seems like we haven't made a dent. I would like to store furniture I would take, like my mother's china cabinet, and pack and store my good china, etc. We could store about half our stuff on the other end to make this place more showable.Also, we'd be able to get out more quickly when it does either sell or get rented.

So, has anyone done that---stored stuff on the other end while still living at the old location? Or would it be better to store it at a storage facility here, then move it later? Lots of decisions...............

How do you figure how big a storage unit you will need? Should we just get one that will fit the stuff we're moving now, or one with a little more "expansion" room? Do storage units want items packed a certain way? Certain types of boxes, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 12:20 PM

4,805 posts, read 20,171,064 times
Store where you are now. You can get that taken care of without having to make it fit in with your renting, moving, finding a new place to live, and starting a new job schedule. You can inspect the storage facility for security, roof leaks, and bugs and pick the one you want. Few long-distance movers will deliver to self-storage anyway and if you wanted to do this before the rest of your move, you'd have to make a special trip to unlock the unit for them and sign off on the delivery.

Look at Public Storage or Extra Space websites to estimate what size unit you need. Round up because they don't allow for things like odd shaped boxes. They don't care how you put things in or in what containers. They only care about whether you are storing explosives or stolen goods or things like that. Movers will put everything in by size--all small boxes in one stack, large boxes in another, oddly shaped stuff like bikes will be last to go in.

Storage places sell box kits that are a good start. IMO dumpster diving or asking for freebies from businesses is a waste of time, but you'll hear lots of debate on that topic. If you do look for free boxes, paper ream boxes from copy stores, and cereal boxes from grocery stores are good. The more uniform you can get the sizes of your boxes, the less space you'll need in storage and the happier your movers will be with you.

I would suggest taking a few extra steps to protect your belongings while they are in storage. Use plastic to protect from water or moisture damage--line the floor of the unit, line boxes that contain things like photo albums, drape plastic over top of furniture. Buy the more expensive 'shielded shackle' padlock model for the door. Number all of the boxes and keep a detailed list of what is in each box (no 'misc' or 'stuff').

Old 05-15-2010, 04:45 PM

Thanks for the advice, Kodaka!

We need to get our stuff out of here to fix it up, paint, carpet, clean, etc, so we can list it, then sell, then move to the new location. Its a juggling act. We already know where we will move, my dh has a job there, he's just living in an efficiency apt until we can catch up.

Lots of good advice!

Old 05-23-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Store where you are now. You can get that taken care of without having to make it fit in with your renting, moving, finding a new place to live, and starting a new job schedule. You can inspect the storage facility for security, roof leaks, and bugs and pick the one you want. Few long-distance movers will deliver to self-storage anyway and if you wanted to do this before the rest of your move, you'd have to make a special trip to unlock the unit for them and sign off on the delivery.

Look at Public Storage or Extra Space websites to estimate what size unit you need. Round up because they don't allow for things like odd shaped boxes. They don't care how you put things in or in what containers. They only care about whether you are storing explosives or stolen goods or things like that. Movers will put everything in by size--all small boxes in one stack, large boxes in another, oddly shaped stuff like bikes will be last to go in.

Storage places sell box kits that are a good start. IMO dumpster diving or asking for freebies from businesses is a waste of time, but you'll hear lots of debate on that topic. If you do look for free boxes, paper ream boxes from copy stores, and cereal boxes from grocery stores are good. The more uniform you can get the sizes of your boxes, the less space you'll need in storage and the happier your movers will be with you.

I would suggest taking a few extra steps to protect your belongings while they are in storage. Use plastic to protect from water or moisture damage--line the floor of the unit, line boxes that contain things like photo albums, drape plastic over top of furniture. Buy the more expensive 'shielded shackle' padlock model for the door. Number all of the boxes and keep a detailed list of what is in each box (no 'misc' or 'stuff').
I agree with making lists of everything in the box. That becomes a culling process. Rather than say Kitchen gadgets you realize you're packing 10 can openers, 20 measuring cups, etc, hey, you won't need all that. Each time I make a list I prune more redundant items. Storage costs money, you may end up having to store longer than anticipated, and don't forget eventually you will end up moving that stuff from storage into your new home, the less to hassle with the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues