U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 02:59 PM

263 posts, read 761,791 times

Advertisements

I saw an old thread about this, but wanted some updated opinions...

Penske is going to be a few hundred cheaper for the same size truck, even with furniture pads and a dolly, and we can keep it longer with unlimited miles. There are pick up and drop off's close to us on both ends.

Any negatives I'm not considering? Seems like even the condition of the trucks are better vs u-haul. I couldn't tell if insurance was included in the quote....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 03:14 PM

13,819 posts, read 18,771,405 times
I think it also depends on the distance you are going and also the route . I know I moved in april this yr from florida to ohio and the truck from florida to ohio was cheaper than when I moved from ky to florida . I have moved alot in the last yr yes cause of employment and various other things . I would definately choose penske over uhaul any day . The trucks are better and rates are better and penske does not leave you on the side of the road waiting for repair with all your belongings in the back . good luck on your move .

Old 05-15-2010, 07:08 PM

15,734 posts, read 8,800,445 times
Haven't used either in a few years but I would go with Penske even if it is more as Uhaul usually breaks down somewhere.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:08 PM

5,702 posts, read 16,177,858 times
I heard nightmare stories about Uhaul but they were hundreds cheaper than Penske. I went with Uhaul. It was an out of state move (not that far). Pick up was easy and straight forward. The truck was brand new and had no issues. Drop off went well. We then moved again a year later but did an in-state move. We went with Uhaul again, had a another brand new truck. Easy pick up and drop off. So that was my experience. Good luck!

Old 05-16-2010, 07:44 AM

3,633 posts, read 8,530,451 times
HANDS DOWN... Penske is a LOT better and cheaper. I have had 3 Uhuals blow up on me in the past. One lost the alternator and both batteries at night, great experience there, once a distributor MELTED in one in the middle of FL on route 70, where there is nothing, it took 4 hours for them to get there. I use Uhaul for local trips, but never for long distance anymore. I had one once I went to pick up, when it reached 45 MPH it started shaking violently, turned right around to the dealer, supposedly the girl that gave me the truck gave me the wrong one, so they exchanged it. Well the one they exchanged it with, the exhaust seperated on my way across the state. I then began using budget, better trucks but more expensive. Since Penske became national, I have used them for everything, and not one single problem.

I looked 2 weeks ago for a truck from FL to MA. Uhaul was $1185, NOT including the safemove insurance, fees, or tax, that is for a 14 foot truck and an auto transport. The total is $1250.

With Penske, a 16 foot truck and a transport, INCLUDING safemove insurance, tax, and all fees. $865.43. That is a huge difference.

Not to mention the trucks are so much better with Penske. What I don't like is Penske has 2 person seating(except for the 22 footer), so that becomes an issue when traveling with my daughter. Penske has a really high deck on thier trucks 44inches or around there. Uhaul is 28. But I will look past those issues, because $400+ more for a truck is uncool.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:31 AM

9 posts, read 76,086 times
Have you asked U-Haul to meet the other quote? Their trucks do have lower decks. Seem to have newer trucks in their fleet as well. Sometimes their rates for car carriers are lower, too. Have kids who have done many moves and have had positive results w/ U-Haul trucks and trailers.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:30 AM

9,902 posts, read 8,063,496 times
U-haul is much more variable in truck quality, running from brand new to junk. They have improved and have much less junk. That being said, I have NEVER heard of Penske renting out junk.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:28 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,381,249 times
Penske is definitly more reliable.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:47 AM

848 posts, read 1,679,196 times
If you can get a much newer truck with U-Haul AND they would be cheaper, okay.

Otherwise Penske all the way.

Problem is you'll never know about the truck with U-Haul until you go to pick it up. You can rest easy knowing the Penske truck will be a good one. I wouldn't take the chance with U-Haul.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:27 AM

371 posts, read 1,664,612 times
The UHaul trucks I've rented were always on their last leg. I've never rented a Penske, but just got locked in on a quote from them for a 22' diesel w/ tow dolly from CA to MD for $1,400. I'd say that's a pretty good bargain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues