U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 11:44 PM

3,077 posts, read 5,543,521 times
My china was a wedding present from my boss & his wife. I had not intended on ever receiving the entire service for 8; figured I'd collect over the years. But my boss's wife is a nut for china & loved my pattern (Gien Toscana) so she bought the entire set for us!

I've only used it a handful of times over 8 yrs but I still won't sell it. I could never get it's original retail value (over 5k) in resale. I read on garden/homesite yesterday that resale china is not selling very well - it's a buyer's market, lol.

I would say that if you have no attachment to it, sell it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 11:13 AM

314 posts, read 285,347 times
Default Subterfuge is your friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
But now my dh wants to keep it! He likes it, says it looks "classy".
This is just a variation of a problem you mentioned earlier (if not you specifically, it was in a thread you started, I believe)--people who come over to ostensibly help you clean out your house before a move and then second-guess you on every little thing: "Do you really want to get rid of that? Oh, you'll need that in your new house! Why are you getting rid of this?" Only this time it's your husband, so you can't just send him home and sell or dump everything.

How many dinner parties does your husband plan to cook for and host where the china would be needed? My inclination in these matters is to say, "Oh, OK, I'll keep it" and when the opportunity presents itself, dispose of it in whatever way you like without drawing any attention to yourself because chances are if you don't bring it up in the future your husband will never mention the dishes again.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:09 PM

5,100 posts, read 5,600,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrodinger's Kittens View Post
This is just a variation of a problem you mentioned earlier (if not you specifically, it was in a thread you started, I believe)--people who come over to ostensibly help you clean out your house before a move and then second-guess you on every little thing: "Do you really want to get rid of that? Oh, you'll need that in your new house! Why are you getting rid of this?" Only this time it's your husband, so you can't just send him home and sell or dump everything.

How many dinner parties does your husband plan to cook for and host where the china would be needed? My inclination in these matters is to say, "Oh, OK, I'll keep it" and when the opportunity presents itself, dispose of it in whatever way you like without drawing any attention to yourself because chances are if you don't bring it up in the future your husband will never mention the dishes again.

Yes, I did say that, didn't I? Here's a solution---keep a few serving pieces in the china cabinet for display, people will assume the rest is in the cabinet, since we never use it, who will be the wiser? And like I said, if we ever are in a position to really need good china, you can always rent it for a day---although I would serioulsy consider how I got myself in that situation to begin with
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues