Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 08:43 AM

16 posts, read 42,609 times

Advertisements

As I've stated in earlier posts, I will be relocating to NoVa (Falls Church) for a job I will start later next month in Mclean/Tyson's. I am a single guy who currently lives at home and the company I am working for is covering my moving expenses. I currently live in a 10x8 room (yes small) and own a 2-door coupe(sp) thats in fair condition(2001 sunfire). Since I own so few possesions, I was hoping my company would pay to ship my car since there is a $5,000 limit on covering my move.

However, I have just been told that for the movers to ship my bed,dresser,T.V, and various small items (books,game console,etc.) from South Texas to North Va. will cost the company $4650.00!! They tell me that I will have to drive my own car and will not be able to fly. The cost to ship my vehicle would be just over $2,000.

Some are telling me to sell my car and just buy a used one once I arrive. I hate long drives and honestly don't know how my car would hold up. Does it really cost that much to ship barely 1,000 pounds of household goods?

My relocation coordinator tells me I need to make a decision quick as to what I want to do. Should I just have my car shipped and buy new furniture once I arrive? I am getting a room in a house btw for $400/month. I am torn as to what to do now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 10:36 AM

521 posts, read 4,413,640 times
From your comments, it appears that you employer already has a relationship with a mover. Some HHG carriers implement a weight minimum (i.e. 2100 lbs, 3500 lbs, 5000 lbs etc) during the busier summer moving season. How do you know you have less than 1000 lbs? Did they perform an in-home survey?

Suggest you try to obtain other estimates from competing carriers. Several smaller interstate carriers still have 1000 lb minimums.

You can probably get your car move via a auto transport company for less than $900. DAS is based in Dallas and travels to the the east coast quite frequently.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:52 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
Hey, if they're paying for it, let them ship it! Otherwise, ditch it and get more when you get there.

Moving companies chage ridiculous prices when its a corporate move. Actually, your price seems low. People don't believe this, but we were moved from one dise of town to another, a 2 bdr condo, they charged back the company $10,000! No joke! The company paid it all, I would have rather they gave us the 10K, our stuff wasn't worth it!

Old 05-19-2010, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Hey, if they're paying for it, let them ship it! Otherwise, ditch it and get more when you get there.

Moving companies chage ridiculous prices when its a corporate move. Actually, your price seems low. People don't believe this, but we were moved from one dise of town to another, a 2 bdr condo, they charged back the company $10,000! No joke! The company paid it all, I would have rather they gave us the 10K, our stuff wasn't worth it!
I wish my company would just cut me a check as well. The thing is I own so few goods that it just doesn't seem worth it. Right now it looks like I either have my car shipped or my goods, but not both. I'm thinking about asking them to ship my car, then see if they are willing to have the rest of my things shipped freight. I might just have to buy a new bed once I arrive.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:20 AM

860 posts, read 2,716,170 times
That is totally insane. I was just quoted about 5 G to move our 4 bedroom 2500 sq fthome and all our stuff, half a semi full, including packing some things up, to Az from Indiana. Your quote is very high!

I would consider seeing if you can just keep the cash and buy new things when you get there. You could pack your clothes and drive them, and then send several boxes of your favorite memorabilia, etc.to your new home. Its pretty cheap compared to using movers.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:25 AM

860 posts, read 2,716,170 times
We are not a corporate move, but getting a stipend. Maybe that is the price difference.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:53 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,905,304 times
Based on your description, I'd take the car and replace the other things.

Because if I'm understanding you correctly, you will save $2000 if you don't ship your car. Plus whatever money you get for selling it, lets say another $2k given the age and description of your car. So you save a total of $4k to not ship your car. What are you going to do with that money? Not buy another car, not a decent one anyway.

On the other hand, if you ship the car for $2k. Then say you ship a few boxes, but not your larger pieces, for less than they quoted you. Then buy a new mattress, tv, and dresser, which would probably cost you around $2k or less. So your total outlay with this option would probably be just over $5k. Whereas in the first scheme where you sell your car, you are looking at a minimum of $5k to move, plus the purchase cost of a new car.

So the latter would be cheaper. Given the information you've provided here, of course.

If you are getting a stipend, you should call around and get different estimates. There can be a big difference in pricing.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:21 AM

371 posts, read 1,822,949 times
Just let them ship as much as they can afford, ditch the rest, and drive out, seeing the sights as you go along.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:22 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,680,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Your assuming that the amount the moving company and your company claimed they are spending is what they are actually paying for the move. It's a game that is played for the moving company and your company's financial benefit.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:28 PM

I got off the phone with my coordinator a few hrs ago and she has laid out this plan for me:
  1. They will pay to have my car shipped which will run them an estimated $1900
  2. I get a plane ticket purchased to my new location with money alotted for bags
  3. I can ship my items freight and recieve reimbursments of up to $1300
It sounds good so far except for the car shipping issue. The company shipping the car called me and said it will be between 2 and 14 days for the car to arrive! I asked for a more narrow time frime and she said she would see what she could do. They will not store the car due to liability reasons and someone must be at the drop off to inspect it for damage. This has put me in a dilema because how am I supposed to get around in my new location without a car.

I would honestly buy a new one if I wasn't so broke. It would also be a total crapshoot as to whether or not my car could handle the long drive. My coordiantor says they very rarely ship vehicles so she doesn't have much experience with how long it takes.

Moving is becoming a real pain in the ass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues