Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2010, 10:55 PM

983 posts, read 4,441,061 times

Advertisements

I am moving and decided to store my belongings temporarily. I discovered these U Boxes from U Haul. They are similar to ABF relo cubes but smaller. I have a one bedroom apartment and on the website it said I needed two of them. I actually like the convenience. They drop them off and pick them up when you are done. And they rent for $64.95 each per month. I think they were 5 x 7 x 8.

Now the movers thought it was not going to work with getting all my stuff inside them but those guys absolutely got everything to fit. Now to give you an idea I had sofa and two bulky chairs and leather ottoman, six chair dining set, queen bedroom with pillow top mattress,two night stands, armoire. Then I had about 25 boxes mostly small and medium. Along with odds and ends like large floor plant, vacuum cleaner, laundry basket, etc.

Now only thing I don't like about the U boxes is they are made of wood where as ABF relo cubes are made of steel and aluminum. I also priced what it would cost to have them shipped to Houston from Dallas if I want and it was $500. So it would beat me having to rent a truck, pay for gas and do the driving.

I would say so far I would recommend using them but definitely get some insurance if you don't have renters or home owners that will cover it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 12:03 AM

983 posts, read 4,441,061 times
Updating my experience with U haul U boxes. I kept my belongings in storage for about 8 months at $64.95 per box. When I was ready to have my items shipped from TX to GA the total for 2 U boxes was $968 plus they charged a $70 fee for the local U Haul to deliver them. Based on what moving companies charge I felt it was a good price. What I also liked is that I packed everything, so it was all the way I left it and not a single item was damaged. Not one broken glass or plate!

Now that I am unpacked I realized how much these boxes actually hold. Also you can get insurance on your belongings. Now that I have used ABF and U haul, I don't have a preference except U haul boxes are made of pine wood. Also, I think U haul is much cheaper so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues