Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2007, 02:59 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,389,410 times

Advertisements

Nashville. I'd also suggest Birmingham. Just a guess since it's called The Pittsburgh of the South. it's steel industry I would imagine would give it an industrial feel that makes it more progressive than other Deep Southern cities. Charlotte, North Carolina I'd also say is pretty progressive. In fact, most of the Upper South to me aside from Arkansas is progressive these days at least in its major cities. The Deep South is still mostly laid back in lifestyle even in its major cities with the exception of Atlanta. Memphis i think could pass for progressive even if it does have kind of a small town feel to it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 05:41 AM

351 posts, read 1,068,675 times
Raleigh-Durham, Charlotte, and Nashville.

Old 06-19-2007, 06:40 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times
Wow! Kentucky isn't on there anywhere! Not even Louisville!

Old 06-19-2007, 10:00 AM

142 posts, read 1,030,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
As you wish. It would be boring if everything were "progressive". (progressive being a misnomer because most progression actually goes backward)
Um...would you please elaborate on that statement? (...most progression actually goes backward)

Old 06-19-2007, 10:27 AM

Thanks for the info so far everyone. I would also like to take a moment to clarify my position. When I say "progressive" I don't necessarily mean "liberal" in the traditional sense. One of the things I like most about the south is the laid back, simple lifestyle. One of the things I like least about the north is the busy, uptight lifestyle.

I don't view "progression" as "northernization" at all. To me, a "progressive" city is a city that shuns discrimination against religion, race, sexuality, etc. A progressive city is a place that encourages thoughtful and intelligent urban planning instead of uncontrolled suburban sprawl. A progressive city is a city that is thinking about the environmental impact of its actions, and is planning for the future instead of just thinking about today.

I think those are qualities that we all (if not all, at least most of us) can agree are positive, regardless of your political affiliation.

Old 06-19-2007, 10:44 AM

On another note, does anyone know a lot about Charleston, SC? It looks like a beautiful place...

Old 06-19-2007, 11:51 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,415,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
...just turn a corner & most of the mid-sized Southern towns neighbouring communities are very conservative and highly religious...
You say this like it's a BAD thing...I'd probably not enjoy a very liberal and lowly religious community...

Old 06-19-2007, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
You say this like it's a BAD thing...I'd probably not enjoy a very liberal and lowly religious community...
It is only a bad thing when people start mixing religion with politics and law...just take a look at all the scary Islamic states in the Middle East...those are extreme examples of what happens when governments force certain religious beleifs upon everyone in the land.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:32 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,795,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Nashville. I'd also suggest Birmingham. Just a guess since it's called The Pittsburgh of the South. it's steel industry I would imagine would give it an industrial feel that makes it more progressive than other Deep Southern cities. Charlotte, North Carolina I'd also say is pretty progressive. In fact, most of the Upper South to me aside from Arkansas is progressive these days at least in its major cities. The Deep South is still mostly laid back in lifestyle even in its major cities with the exception of Atlanta. Memphis i think could pass for progressive even if it does have kind of a small town feel to it.

Nashville is a big city. So is Charlotte.

Medium sized cities would be Richmond, Louisville, Raleigh, etc.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:34 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,795,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acs.1979 View Post
Um...would you please elaborate on that statement? (...most progression actually goes backward)
Yes, I will.

Most "progressive" people actually shun people who have spiritual convictions of any kind. Want to do away with the past completely (history goes out the window). They're open only to people who think and act like they do.

They tend to be the most narrow minded of them all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.