Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 06:52 PM

653 posts, read 3,408,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by acs.1979 View Post
Why those cities and why in that order? Austin & Albuqurque are both actually places I am interested in. (I would be more curious about Minneapolis & Madison, but I hate the cold!)
I'll just touch on Madison a little. It is a most vibrant city which features low crime, affordable housing(but rising), good schools, interesting neighborhoods, great arts and music scene, fabulous outdoor recreation opportunities, energetic and lively downtown, good transportation system, liberal atmosphere and attitudes. University of Wisconsin influence is evident in the central city. Only an hour drive to Milwaukee, a couple of hours to Chicago and the Twin Cities. It's a 'Political' place, being the state capital, but a nice mix of white and blue collar. Warm summers, mild to cool falls, cold winters (but the city stays alive and well all winter long). Population is nearing 250,000 but traffic congestion not really an issue. Air is clean year round. It is a friendly city where respect for each other still exsists on most levels. It is an exciting place, a place where I'm sure that the vast majority of those who reside there, love it. Quick note on Albuqurque--Probably has the Best "Overall" weather in the lower 48 states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 03:13 PM

7 posts, read 56,309 times
Default Madison and Louisville

Madison is an excellent city that I visit often (mostly in the summer/autumn). I'd add Louisville to your list... progressive city on the move and the inside smoking ban takes effect July 1, 2007, which will improve what most don't like about the city. Plenty of outdoor patio areas for smokers at bars and restaurants. Cost of living very attractive.

Old 06-29-2007, 07:25 PM

148 posts, read 765,638 times
Prehaps Chicago, Milwaukee? Maybe Philadelphia?

I would rule out Seattle as it has basically become extremely white collar, lots of professionals with advanced degrees (especially in the tech sector), very, very pricey, and well filled with people who are trying to ooze sophistication. It is far from the best place for an average Joe.

Old 06-29-2007, 08:18 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,797,006 times
I would say the blue collar midwestern cities: Chicago, Cleveland, St Louis, etc.

Baltimore might work too.

Avoid Charleston, Savannah, Biloxi, Richmond, or Atlanta.

Old 06-29-2007, 10:34 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,392,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
I would say the blue collar midwestern cities: Chicago, Cleveland, St Louis, etc.

Baltimore might work too.

Avoid Charleston, Savannah, Biloxi, Richmond, or Atlanta.
Agreed 100%. The blue collar Midwestern cities are where it's at coming from this average joe

Old 06-29-2007, 10:58 PM

741 posts, read 2,922,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova7 View Post
You don't want Albuqurque, NM it has been rated as one of the most dangerous cities in America. Homicide is a standard over there. It used to be nice but like many cities it has changed.
Wow. So how long have you worked in local TV news?
This is the sort of hyperbolic statement about Albuquerque that has become the norm amongst our local media. As ontheroad said, overblown. And it is still nice to live in ABQ, despite contrary opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova7 View Post
The cost of living is not cheap and the job are scrase.
...and these statements are just basically false.

But if comments like these help keep us from being overrun, I suppose they are not all bad.

Chap

Old 06-30-2007, 12:16 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,288,273 times
How about Philadelphia? It does have crime in places, but it is very inexpensive for an East Coast city and very "Average Joe" with the cheesesteaks and all.

Old 06-30-2007, 12:58 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,899,154 times
I laugh at Madison being listed as an Average Joe city. It's too expensive/upscale, as is most of Chicagoland, to be considered. No, not all of Chicagoland is middle upper class suburbia, but it is compared to anywhere else regionally in terms of price ranges. Housing and fuel make it difficult to get the garage space and budget to spin around in a new 2009 Camaro.

Philly is a good nomination. Mine are largely midwestern: Akron, Cleveland, Davenport, Dayton, Fort Wayne, Grand Rapids, Lansing, Milwaukee, Peoria, South Bend, Springfield, Toledo ... anyplace that's not cool and pricey like Ann Arbor, Iowa City, Madison, etc

I'm assuming here that Average Joe doesn't want to get shot, likes having a job, and doesn't own a meth lab ... but if you relax my assumptions, we can toss in Flint, Terre Haute, and Youngstown.

Old 06-30-2007, 01:03 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,798,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
How about Philadelphia? It does have crime in places, but it is very inexpensive for an East Coast city and very "Average Joe" with the cheesesteaks and all.
I don't know, how large is the middle class in Philly?

Old 06-30-2007, 03:51 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,421,143 times
Wow, no one has mentioned Cincinnati. Interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.