Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 10:40 AM

142 posts, read 1,028,239 times

Advertisements

Which cities make life easy for middle class, average Americans by offering a low overall cost of living, yet enough amenities to make life not feel stale?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2007, 10:46 AM

81 posts, read 332,054 times
Columbus, Ohio

Old 06-18-2007, 11:53 AM

832 posts, read 3,841,580 times
Houston suburbs (Sugarland, Kingwood, The Woodlands, etc)
Dallas
San Antonio
Columbus
Lousville
Nashville

Old 06-18-2007, 03:08 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,628,783 times
Quote:
Which cities make life easy for middle class, average Americans by offering a low overall cost of living, yet enough amenities to make life not feel stale?
There are quite a few cities like this left it just depends on how big you want to go.

Quote:
Houston suburbs (Sugarland, Kingwood, The Woodlands, etc)
Dallas
San Antonio
Columbus
Lousville
Nashville
Very good list and I'd also add:

Denver
Minneapolis-St. Paul
Atlanta
Omaha

Old 06-18-2007, 03:14 PM

1,008 posts, read 4,015,270 times
Life is "stale" in most regions of the US unless you have the $$$$ and can afford to live in a nice big city with all the amenities at your disposal. I guess it depends on what you want and how you were raised. Based on your living standards etc...

I think Chicago and Seattle are the best cities in the U.S. (when factoring EVERYTHING in) Only Seattle has become very expensive...

Old 06-18-2007, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova7 View Post
Life is "stale" in most regions of the US unless you have the $$$$ and can afford to live in a nice big city with all the amenities at your disposal. I guess it depends on what you want and how you were raised. Based on your living standards etc...

I think Chicago and Seattle are the best cities in the U.S. (when factoring EVERYTHING in) Only Seattle has become very expensive...
Personally, I like clean air, lots of sunshine, the beach, lower than average cost of living, friendly people, and a enough population to allow me to blend into the shadows....

I do like Seattle because of the Puget Sound, but I like Portland better city-wise. Both Portland & Seattle are a bit expensive for my tastes. I'm sure I would love Chicago, but it gets WAY too cold in the winter time for me to be OK there. Even PDX/Seattle get too cold for me!

Old 06-18-2007, 04:20 PM

653 posts, read 3,399,044 times
Madison, Wisconsin
Austin, Texas
Minneapolis/St. Paul ,Minnesota
Albuqurque, New Mexico

In that order.

Old 06-18-2007, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggB View Post
Madison, Wisconsin
Austin, Texas
Minneapolis/St. Paul ,Minnesota
Albuqurque, New Mexico

In that order.
Why those cities and why in that order? Austin & Albuqurque are both actually places I am interested in. (I would be more curious about Minneapolis & Madison, but I hate the cold!)

Old 06-18-2007, 04:44 PM

1,008 posts, read 4,015,270 times
You don't want Albuqurque, NM it has been rated as one of the most dangerous cities in America. Homicide is a standard over there. It used to be nice but like many cities it has changed. The cost of living is not cheap and the job are scrase. Cost of living in Austin has gone up significantly and it's very hot in Texas. Economy looks strong but the competition is fierce given the population increase and everyone wanting good jobs. St. Paul very suburban family oriented city. I haven't explored Madisson but I heard great things about it. It does get COLD in Wisconsin.

Old 06-18-2007, 04:44 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,048,769 times
I wouldn't have thought ABQ--but yes, it fulfills most of your want list.

I just lived in NM for a year, and Santa Fe and north is more expensive. South of Santa Fe is still affordable and even though crime stats are high, they are over-blown and generally DUI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.