Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 10:19 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,884,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
I went to six schools in three states, and they all taught evolution, even the two Catholic ones. I don't think we ever even talked about creationism, not even in Communion or Confirmation classes, but I mean, why would you?

I don't know about other Christian denomination's, but the Vatican did say evolution is compatible with the faith, and they do support it, or at least tolerate it. I think the religious theory is called theistic evolution.

I went to 12 years of Catholic school, and we too learned about evolution. We also learned that the pope agrees with evolution and that the church has changed its original view on evolution. The churches views on evolution and creationism are non-dogmatic F.Y.I.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:31 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
I went to 12 years of Catholic school, and we too learned about evolution. We also learned that the pope agrees with evolution and that the church has changed its original view on evolution. The churches views on evolution and creationism are non-dogmatic F.Y.I.
Less likely in a Catholic school (unless the parents are pressuring the teachers to teach Creationism thanks to the "Christian" TV and radio they have been listening to and/or social pressures in the South) but you encounter that kind of crap in "Christian" schools especially Evangelical-Fundamentalist ones like Southern Baptist preps, etc.

Keep Evolution in Science class and Creationism in Theology class but don't mix both!

Old 06-11-2010, 10:32 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,691,140 times
whats so bad about believing in god? So many people on this forum make it seem like its a bad thing.. My middle and high school taught evolution. And like someone else said, believing in god doesn't mean you believe in creationism.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:34 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
IMO, the OP's question was answered sufficiently. Discussing the relative merits of the two subjects is a controversial topic that belongs in Politics and Other Controversies, not here. This thread is closed. Feel free to discuss Creationism vs. Evolution in the P&OC forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.